Should I download the GDR1?

Roni96

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
So I have a lumia 920 where I had WP 8.1 Developers preview. Today I did the downgrade and installed the Cyan update. Now I have a question: should I still keep participating to DP or not? Because if I have to downgrade my phone every time to get the official update I'm not gonna do that. First I thought I could just keep downloading the DP updates and not to care about the official updates but after today I realized I can't do that. The Cyan is better that the DP, for example the battery seems to last longer and some things are faster and smoother (like opening apps or settings).
In my opinion Microsoft have not done a good job with the Developers preview program. If I can get the Cyan for my normal windows phone 8, why can't I get it with my DP version? So if I now download the 8.1 update 1 preview do you think I need to downgrade my phone again when the official patch come out?

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion not worth the trouble. There are still major things that not fixed yet so I would not even consider it as being in beta status right now.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft held Cyan for people running DP because some phones running BitLocker got bricked when they first turned the Cyan update on. They say the issue has been contained now, but they haven't released the DP/Cyan hold for very many models/carriers/country variants yet. The implication of the last round of announcements is that they will soon, but I haven't seen a date announcement. When NSRT was able to install Cyan/8.1 directly on my 920 (no downgrade to Black/8.0) I stopped waiting.

Will this scenario repeat with Denim/8.1.1? It could, but it's very unlikely to be for the same reason, and shouldn't be very likely at all. Yes, there's a risk. You'll have to balance it against your desire for getting the 8.1.1 enhancements (mainly live folders) early. In my case, I had 8.1.1 on Black, had no problems with it, decided the risk was small and that live folders were worth it to me, and put it back on as soon as Cyan finished installing. I have heard of people having problems with GDR1, but frankly, I think they're mostly issues from the update not installing correctly rather than bugs in the new features. That's just my opinion, of course, derived in part by the fact that I haven't had any problems with my phone. YMMV.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
If you want some bugs, the lack of smoothness from 8.1/Cyan, battery and performance problems, sure.

Folders aren't worth those IMO.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had no issues and my battery finally is close to how it was in the old days. So I have no issues with the 8.1 U + Cyan, but it doesn't mean you wont see a bug, its quite possible. But problems aren't guaranteed. Is it worth it for you? for me? yup, the next guy? eh.

Faragondk

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I would wait, folders are nice, but I have alot of annyoing rendering problems in Internet Explorer. Battery usage is not good either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes