[Opinion] Worst features\issues with WP 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenzef

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I was a Android user for some time and still use my Nokia E72.
Recently I switched to a Lumia which was "uncomfortable" for some time, but a pleasure today.
However, I think some things are still missing in the 8.1 release of WindowPhone. To be honest they suck big time :devil:

This thread is not to flame WP, but to understand how you guy's think about it. (and maybe a message to WP development)

First, the keyboard in WP 8.1, it includes swipe !GREAT! but who's idea was it to change the keyboard text edit feature which is now "some not working little circle" instead of the previous easy to use text edit feature. Annoying every day.

Second, why can't I change volume settings at predefined time and/or day? Sound profiles are available in 15 euro phones, not in WP8.1!!
EVERY day I have to manually turn up volume in the morning and down the volume down at night.
Not even third party developers are able to come with a solution! Those apps do no longer work.

Am I missing something here?
How do you think about this?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Personally I like the new text edit cursor, and Quiet Hours sets all volumes to mute at whatever times you tell it to. You can set it for overnight, and it also turns on for calendar events marked "Busy", aside from an icon you can put in the notification center for quick on-off.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dependency on carriers for firmware/OS updates outside of the Developer Preview program. THAT really sucks.

Brenzef

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Personally I like the new text edit cursor, and Quiet Hours sets all volumes to mute at whatever times you tell it to. You can set it for overnight, and it also turns on for calendar events marked "Busy", aside from an icon you can put in the notification center for quick on-off.
You probably use WP 8.0 instead of 8.1?
The developer writes that their version is not compatible with 8.1.. :crying:

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
You probably use WP 8.0 instead of 8.1?
The developer writes that their version is not compatible with 8.1.. :crying:

Where did you get that I use 8.0? The new text editing cursor is on 8.1, and Quiet Hours is a feature of Cortana, which you might have heard is the biggest feature of WP8.1

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
What sucks is your post saying your intention is not to flame MS but jump in with two feet and start criticizing things that don't seem all that important to most users.

Just my 2cents.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The only truly bothersome thing to me is how Xbox Games are being handled...

Google Play Game Services don't make devs jump through hoops to support the social gaming medium, nor does Apple GameCenter... but devs are punished by horrid wait times, higher costs and a horrifying pull rate that makes it seem like they're being punished for trying to support Xbox on WP. The result of this is that Xbox mobile has less than a hundred games that use the social gaming medium.

I suppose that could apply to any version of WP, but that's truly the only thing that gets my blood boiling

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
As said before, hubs. I don't even use Games hub anymore, it just sucks, waaay slower compared to WP8 and it doesn't show the Xbox avatar on the live tile anymore. All games showing on the app list is a bummer too. Also I think the text editing cursor was easier to use on WP8. And I don't like how they made theme colors bland, especially Cobalt and Red too. I really enjoyed all the improvements of W8.1, but I just don't undersantd these step backs.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Photos hub, games hub and other hubs..old hubs was better.

I totally agree. Broken Hubs! I used the photo hub to "stalk" my friends facebook photos. Cant do that anymore. I used the People Hub for quick likes and scanning posts. I loved seeing the ME tile flip over with like notifications and comments. They're all dead! MultiShare kinda brought back the simultaneous posting to my accounts that the old ME did... but its not the same. And the Games Hub?! Why even have it anymore with the games listed in my App list. totally sux.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
For the last couple of weeks, I've given WP a try again. I want to love everything about it, because I love the interface. But there are two things that keep me from putting down my iPhone:

1) For certain time zones, the native calendar doesn't sync correctly with Google Calendar. I told MS about this almost a year ago and still no fix. There's a thread about it here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/279036-google-calendar-sync-problem.html

2) MS does not support Cisco IPSec VPN protocol. I need it for work.

If those two things are fixed, I'll jump on the upcoming 1020 replacement.

Brenzef

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get that I use 8.0? The new text editing cursor is on 8.1, and Quiet Hours is a feature of Cortana, which you might have heard is the biggest feature of WP8.1
Unfortunately Cortana is unavailable in the EU, I thought you meant the app in the store name "Quiet Hours" which is a separate app, not linked to Cortana. I guess I have to wait untill Cortana becomes available in the EU to be able to use this functionality.

Brenzef

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
What sucks is your post saying your intention is not to flame MS but jump in with two feet and start criticizing things that don't seem all that important to most users.
Just my 2cents.

So many people so many thoughts.
I would not asked the question if I did not care ;-)
I think it is a major task to mention all the great things WP has, so I only mentioned 2 that I don't like...
And those are just my 2 cents ;-)

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Lagging, hanging, freezing, and battery life.
I went back to WP8 w/ Black, and non of that nonsense happens.

kumar_rajan5000

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
For me.. Wp cannot receive multiple pdf files over bluetooth which are saved directly to memory. You have to click and save each file. And files have to be received one by one. Also Bluetooth lacks to authorise a device so that multiple photos are transferred only accepting one time.

ambeatz

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hate the fact that we have to pay for some third party apps when all features are actually free on the native apps on other os's. That is all.

Promethius99

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Er,….. Nothing,…. BECAUSE I STILL CANT GET THE UPDATE!!!!, cmon Microsoft where is the update for the lumia 925 running preview for developers on three UK network????,…………………...:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb