Is GDR1 stable enough for everyday usage?

dezzilak

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I've had the 1020 for 6 months now and I've followed the news like a lot of you concerning 8.1. I wish to have the new features offered in the GDR1, having Cyan myself but not feeling really satisfied with your it turned out. Is Update 1 stable for use? Is this going to be the version we get later on? In other words, this Developer Preview, is it a Preview in the sense that it's what it's going to be when it's going to be released, or is it a Preview of what's to come, but still to be considered in beta?

I'm not really pleased with Cyan in regards to performance, even after a hard reset. Battery life is also not really impressive, it can easily die in 9 hours if I use it as I wish to use it (checking social apps often and browsing the News app). I see people here saying their phones last for days, I'm quite curious of their usage(it IS a smartphone after all).

Furthermore, is it normal to lose 10% during the night? Is this normal Cyan behavior?

Thanks for your help!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I've had the 1020 for 6 months now and I've followed the news like a lot of you concerning 8.1. I wish to have the new features offered in the GDR1, having Cyan myself but not feeling really satisfied with your it turned out. Is Update 1 stable for use? Is this going to be the version we get later on? In other words, this Developer Preview, is it a Preview in the sense that it's what it's going to be when it's going to be released, or is it a Preview of what's to come, but still to be considered in beta?

I'm not really pleased with Cyan in regards to performance, even after a hard reset. Battery life is also not really impressive, it can easily die in 9 hours if I use it as I wish to use it (checking social apps often and browsing the News app). I see people here saying their phones last for days, I'm quite curious of their usage(it IS a smartphone after all).

Furthermore, is it normal to lose 10% during the night? Is this normal Cyan behavior?

Thanks for your help!
Preview in the first sense. Not a beta

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help!

It is a preview. In fact, the version number is 8.10.14176.xxx is the same version that is currently shipping on the Lumia 730/735 & Lumia 835, so IMO it is very stable. I've used it on my 820 with the Cyan update and I was getting decent battery life for a full day's use.

dezzilak

May 14, 2014
Visit site
It is a preview. In fact, the version number is 8.10.14176.xxx is the same version that is currently shipping on the Lumia 730/735 & Lumia 835, so IMO it is very stable. I've used it on my 820 with the Cyan update and I was getting decent battery life for a full day's use.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm wondering; can I simply opt in for the Developer's Preview, get the update, and then opt out and keep the update?

CharlieBoy1894

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. Yes you can sign up, get the update then opt out of the preview and keep the update. The only way to revert back to cyan update is by using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just to throw my two cents in, I've been using it on my L 822 since it's release without issue. I did do a hard reset to clear up some minor problems but it's been great since then. I should add though I'm still waiting on Cyan so I'm still on Black.

Last edited:

dezzilak

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just to throw my two cents in, I've been using it on my L 822 since it's release without issue. I did so a hard reset to clear up some minor problems but it's been great since then. I should add though I'm still waiting on Cyan so I'm still on Black.
Thanks for the input.

I'm wondering about the "need" to hard reset following such updates, though. I've had issues with my 1020 that no hard reset could fix, such as the crash on standby that just happen randomly, but nothing else really. Hard resetting is also a pain on Windows Phone, compared to Android or iOS(or even BB10), as those would actually backup * everything* without waiting for developers to do magic spells on their end. I miss certain texts because I can't force backups when I want them to happen. :(

So, hard resets, what's the consensus?

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

I'm wondering about the "need" to hard reset following such updates, though. I've had issues with my 1020 that no hard reset could fix, such as the crash on standby that just happen randomly, but nothing else really. Hard resetting is also a pain on Windows Phone, compared to Android or iOS(or even BB10), as those would actually backup * everything* without waiting for developers to do magic spells on their end. I miss certain texts because I can't force backups when I want them to happen. :(

You can force backups. Settings>backup>apps+settings/text messages/photo+videos.
And I lose at most 1% during the night.

dezzilak

May 14, 2014
Visit site
You can force backups. Settings>backup>apps+settings/text messages/photo+videos.
And I lose at most 1% during the night.

Where can you force backups for texts? I only see it for apps and settings, not for photos nor for texts. Furthermore, do you use any social media? Gmail? BBM? I can hardly imagine losing only 1% during the night? You also have the 1020, correct?

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Where can you force backups for texts? I only see it for apps and settings, not for photos nor for texts. Furthermore, do you use any social media? Gmail? BBM? I can hardly imagine losing only 1% during the night? You also have the 1020, correct?

Yes I do use them. My apologies. I could have sworn I saw that before.

dezzilak

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes I do use them. My apologies. I could have sworn I saw that before.
No problem! Quite weird we can't force backups on texts... :(

But regarding your battery life, how much do you usually get on a charge?
I'm dazzled by your results on the standby a bit, never had that kind of standby, do you have glance and doubletap? Cortana? Hmm. Wait, how many bars of signal do you have during the night? (Presumably your bedroom then)

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No problem! Quite weird we can't force backups on texts... :(

But regarding your battery life, how much do you usually get on a charge?
I'm dazzled by your results on the standby a bit, never had that kind of standby, do you have glance and doubletap? Cortana? Hmm. Wait, how many bars of signal do you have during the night? (Presumably your bedroom then)

On a charge, 24 - 36 hours. ( heavy user when not sleeping).
Glance: No. Double tap: Yes Cortana :yes. I have 3 bars currently. I don't do anything special really.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
On a charge, 24 - 36 hours. ( heavy user when not sleeping).
Glance: No. Double tap: Yes Cortana :yes. I have 3 bars currently. I don't do anything special really.

Thanks for the info. Weird that I get such different stats than you do. Must have to do with signal reception, I guess. I use Glance but it doesn't change much on my battery at all. I do get a single bar in my bedroom however(basement yay!).

Anybody else can pitch in?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

Personally, I've only done a hard reset when when my phone has acted up. Most if not all of the resets I've done were to fix things that bugged me more than actual problems. I've never had a problem getting all my contacts, email, texts or apps back after a reset and I usually don't restore from a backup. I usually start fresh.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I've only done a hard reset when when my phone has acted up. Most if not all of the resets I've done were to fix things that bugged me more than actual problems. I've never had a problem getting all my contacts, email, texts or apps back after a reset and I usually don't restore from a backup. I usually start fresh.

How do you restore texts and the rest without restoring from a backup...?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
How do you restore texts and the rest without restoring from a backup...?
Once I've setup my account on the phone the texts automatically restore. I've never had to initiate anything, it just happens. A friend of mine hard reset his WP and he didn't get all his texts right away, but eventually they all restored.

dezzilak

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Once I've setup my account on the phone the texts automatically restore. I've never had to initiate anything, it just happens. A friend of mine hard reset his WP and he didn't get all his texts right away, but eventually they all restored.

Will try it out!

Holy damn. I just realised I have two accounts. This is pretty weird.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
1020 user here.
Gdr1 stable for everyday use but don't bother with the DP as you will be getting it soon enough along with the firmware update denim.

Just sit back relax and get it when it is released officially.

as for your battery I used to have severe drains overnight, it even happens now on DP sometimes, but more often than not a full charged battery at 7pm starts to loose charge about 3 am and by the time I wake up at 5am it has lost at most 4% no more.
Then again there are times that the battery has lost 13-16% overnight from 9pm to 4am.

Strange but true..

For improved battery life look up these fourms and I am sure you will find a thread which has got the link to improve battery life.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720