Range of devices recieving Update 2 for Windows Phone (GDR2)

marcox92

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Am French and as an insider I had received that update on Lumia 1520 and 930
Thats true update 2 came yesterday on the Lumia 830 I have too, over the insider update and not for 1520 and 930. But I don't see, after the process any difference between the tree devices running that update commig from two different ways

Last edited:

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Insider Update for Lumia 730, no issues.

Don't forget die delete the Insider App when the download begins. You don't want Windows 10!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Don't forget die delete the Insider App when the download begins. You don't want Windows 10!

I think there's a difference between the GDR2 we receive as a stage to W10 as an insider, and the GDR2 rolled out officially on some 830 this week.

As an example, people having installed GDR2 and blocked upgrade to W10TP report some bugs. On a 535, you can't read your recorded videos for instance. I'm not sure that GDR2 we see, only as a transition when installing W10 TP, is as refined and fine tuned than the one officially rolled out on 640, 830 and so on.

So I wouldn't recommend to install the GDR2 via the insider app, as there's no evidence it's stable enough for a daily driver. The example I've mentioned about video on 535 is telling. The irony is that video works great on W10 TP on my 535 ^_^

flamingoodmedia

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I had to switch OFF Developer Preview ro get GDR2 on my Nokia 735 (UK Generic) ... after reading here that it was being pushed out I checked & with Developer Preview switched on an update was found but it seem to have any changes noticeable ! I checked Windows Insider, only W10 there, so turned off Preview For Developers & voila, GDR2 was available :)

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I think there's a difference between the GDR2 we receive as a stage to W10 as an insider, and the GDR2 rolled out officially on some 830 this week.

As an example, people having installed GDR2 and blocked upgrade to W10TP report some bugs. On a 535, you can't read your recorded videos for instance. I'm not sure that GDR2 we see, only as a transition when installing W10 TP, is as refined and fine tuned than the one officially rolled out on 640, 830 and so on.

So I wouldn't recommend to install the GDR2 via the insider app, as there's no evidence it's stable enough for a daily driver. The example I've mentioned about video on 535 is telling. The irony is that video works great on W10 TP on my 535 ^_^

I cannot complain about the insider update for the 730. Everything works as expected. We also have a 640 in the house with the official GDR2, and there is no visible difference.

I also believe that the official GDR2 update for the 735 is basically the same as for the 730, with just a few differences in hardware.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've just given my 830 to my brother after receiving my 930 back from the insurance company and now I am jealous and want update 2 on my 930. update 1 feels and looks so basic compared to update 2.

Anyway to get it on the 930 or whether or not Microsoft will release it to 930 customers?

ankur_g

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I got gdr2 in India but its too basic nothing changed from gdr1 except extrs+info and about. What should I do now. I own L620.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I got gdr2 in India but its too basic nothing changed from gdr1 except extrs+info and about. What should I do now. I own L620.

Then you must have not have received GDR2, or your phone is 8.0 not 8.1 this is what it brings

Settings. Find your phone settings more easily. Tap one of the new settings categories to jump to it, use Search to find a setting, or pan down to peruse in the traditional way. Additionally, phone settings can now be pinned to Start.
Calendar. Agenda view is back.
Name your phone. Give your phone a name without connecting to a PC.
Just tap Settings > About > Edit name to name it.
VPN. Now you can use certificates to sign in for L2TP VPN connections. Always-on VPN profiles are now supported too, so you're automatically and always connected.

Bluetooth. Type with more than your thumbs. Use an external Bluetooth keyboard and watch the words fly on your phone. And now get your text messages straight from your car if it has a compatible Bluetooth system.

App privacy permissions. Now you control whether an app can access your contacts, calendar, camera, microphone and text messages. Just tap Settings > App permissions to get started.

MKV support for video playback
Reset Protection feature
'All Apps' arrow at the bottom of the Start screen
Devices with on-screen navigation bar can now 'double tap' on the bar to turn the display off.
Delete individual notices instead of X Clear all

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So I'm guessing that this update isn't available in the US for ATT customers using the 830. I've tried with Developer Preview turned on as well as turned off, no updates to be found. Any other thoughts?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
So I'm guessing that this update isn't available in the US for ATT customers using the 830. I've tried with Developer Preview turned on as well as turned off, no updates to be found. Any other thoughts?

It was never available with PfD only thru Insider...but you have to contend with getting force feed WP10 because Insider Fast is the only build available. You could download GRD2 turn off and uninstall the app but you'd get messages saying an update is ready (WP10) The only way to get rid of the message is do a hard reset. GRD2 will download and the message to update to WP10 will be gone. NOTE: just read in another thread than an ATT 830 owner tried to download via Insider and it skipped update 2 and installed WP10 build so be aware...
My 830 ATT US version skips right over and downloaded the 10 TP, how do I delete it and not update, I don't want it to install that, been there done that. Has anyone figured this out short of a reset? This is so frustrating. I got my phone perfect finally.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

So you can delete the app WHILE GDR2 is being installed ? it doesn't reboot and go into the spinning gears ?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
so is GDR2 available on Insider or not? some are saying it still it yet others say its been pulled? what is the actual fact?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
so is GDR2 available on Insider or not? some are saying it still it yet others say its been pulled? what is the actual fact?

The actual fact is that both are true.
In some cases you first get GDR2 before you get W10 and in other cases you get direct W10. So if you want to know it for your device you have to try which case is valid for your device.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There is no risk. If you are offered to install Win-10, just refuse it.

True, you can refuse to download but then you also can not download other updates anymore like keyboards or languages etc. So if you want to "get" update 2 at least be aware that a hard reset may be needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3