Reset Protection Feature with GDR2 Question

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that 8.1 Update 2, aka GDR2, comes with a Reset Protection feature. Is this only for certain SOCs and/or models of phones? Does it require new hardware? Or is it just the GDR2 that enables it?

If it's just GDR2 and not hardware required, then how do you configure it?

Just looking for some clarification. Using GDR2 on an unbranded Lumia 635.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's going to require a firmware and OS update to work. The bootloader firmware has to store the disabled flags and prevent OS boot.

So just updating the OS will not necessarily show this feature.

If they don't do it in the bootloader you could easily roll back the OS to an earlier build to get around the block.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just read through the Source link in the article you provided. You know, the Source link that goes back to Microsoft's site? Well, according to that, the manufacturer has to add it into the ROM to enable it, and keys are provided from Microsoft to the Manufacturer. This means there is no way to flash a custom ROM to enable it, because only the Manufacturer can get the keys from Microsoft. Apparently, this is something that will only be enabled on newly released phones only.

Ah, well. I guess I'll get it with a new phone that has Windows 10 pre-installed later on. For now, I'll enjoy the rest of GDR2.

Thanks for the link, RumoredNow. It led me to the link that has the information I needed.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It's going to require a firmware and OS update to work. The bootloader firmware has to store the disabled flags and prevent OS boot.

So just updating the OS will not necessarily show this feature.

If they don't do it in the bootloader you could easily roll back the OS to an earlier build to get around the block.

Yeah, I read that over on the MS sight while you were typing that. Has to be enabled in the UEFI Secure Boot AND in the OS. Definitely something for me to not try myself at this point. I'll just wait and get a new W10 device with new goodies later on, I suppose. Make a nice Christmas present if they are out in time. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes