Verizon Group Messaging to Arrive by End of 2Q 2013

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have regularly contacted VZW over the past few months, but finally made some headway over the past week. After sending an email earlier in the week and then seperately using our corporate contacts, I received two phone calls today saying pretty much the same thing. The "on the record" answer is that Verizon is now aware of the issue due to signficant inquiry from customers and is working on a solution which they will roll out in the next few months. "Off the record" they told me that it will be out by the end of the second quarter. I also just got the following email from customer support confirming the "off the record" statements. In addition, one of the reps will be speaking to the Windows Phone dev team at VZW early next week and will give me an update

Reference Number: XXXXXXXXX
The following has been completed:
• We received your inquiry regarding why Group Messaging features do not currently work on your new HTC Windows 8 device for mobile number, XXX-XXX-XXXX.
• We researched the issue and determined this is a known issue with a possible software update that will fix this issue by end of second quarter 2013.
• Please feel free to review our website periodically at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless for more information.

Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
So, if what they're saying is it can only be updated with a software update, then we can assume that this will be under the GDR2 update since GDR3 won't come to windows phone till at least the fall season timeframe. I'm on AT&T but at least Verizon users now know they'll possibly be receiving the GDR2 update at around the end of 2Q13 which puts it at the end of June/beginning of July timeframe.

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My understanding from my conversation was they could push it out seperately, but that being said, the rep wasn't from the development team. Assuming GDR2 comes out in the April timeframe as has been rumored, the three month lag for GDR2 would make sense based on our wait for Portico.

dwurl

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the update. Amazing that this is the most official bit of news I have found on the whole issue

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey I just chatted with one of the Verizon Reps and he told me the same thing but went more specific by saying: "The tenative date for this is May of this year".

(BTW long time reader of WPcentral, but just decided to get an account to post on the forums)

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Nydaelia

May 1, 2013
Visit site
This has been confirmed in writing from Verizon via BBB:

"We are working with Microsoft to provide group text messaging capability on the Windows Phone 8X by HTC as quickly as possible. The feature will be added with a mid-year software update."

If not...reopening that ticket -.-

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Not breaking news, but as long as someone is searching here's a quick update from a chat transcript I had:

VZWREP: Ok, so there is a software release scheduled down the road (I wish I could be more specific but the techs keep dates close to the vest)...the software update will include the ability to use the group messaging feature like on previous versions of the phone.
Dano: really? if that's true that's fantastic news
VZWREP: Yes, it is true

So it's not dead in the water yet. Still being worked on according to they at Big Red.

Kainzd

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I know it's only been a couple days. But just a quick question.. if this update does come failry soon. Will this fix my issue?

I never send any group messages, but my coach will send messages to the whole team and I don't receive them. So someone has to physically copy the message and re-send it to me and me only and I'll get it. If they forget to do this, I miss out on the message. Will this update fix this issue?

YCSMD

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I know it's only been a couple days. But just a quick question.. if this update does come failry soon. Will this fix my issue?

I never send any group messages, but my coach will send messages to the whole team and I don't receive them. So someone has to physically copy the message and re-send it to me and me only and I'll get it. If they forget to do this, I miss out on the message. Will this update fix this issue?
I dont know. You should be getting those.

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

This has been happening with me lately as well. Friends send group texts, and I get responses from others on the text, but not the initial one. Getting a little frustrating, especially since everything has been pretty alright with it in the past. They just need to fix the MMS issue all together.

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
spoke with Verizon yesterday telling them about this new problem. Was told there is an upgrade coming in June that will fix MMS issues and possibly add group text. He wasn't clear on that last part, but I think it would be through Wifi.

He also said that Androids are getting away from group texting. Is that true? I don't see why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb