Net neutrality is under attack from Verizon

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I hope they lose. If they don't you see things like, Oh, you'll want to stream Netflix's, That will be $20. Oh, you want to stream Amazon movies, that will $20, Oh, you want to steam MP3's that will be $15, Oh you have Hulu, that will be $25 more.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
If you buy a monthly allocation of 250GB of home internet, for $60-$70 a month, you should be able to legally use it for whatever you want. That's net neutrality. For an ISP to add additional charges for streaming Movies, MP3's...etc.. within your 250GB of allotted internet is just cost gouging.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you buy a monthly allocation of 250GB of home internet, for $60-$70 a month, you should be able to legally use it for whatever you want. That's net neutrality. For an ISP to add additional charges for streaming Movies, MP3's...etc.. within your 250GB of allotted internet is just cost gouging.

Similarly, the carrier should not be able to throttle speeds of Netflix, Hulu+ or other streaming services as long as one has not exceeded the total bandwidth cap.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about this. Is net neutrality just not a big deal when it comes to wireless devices? Because I, like millions of others, use a multitude of web based services. The internet went after SOPA and PIPA with a rage, yet hardly a peep is made about Verizon. In fact, this isn't Verizon's first stab at killing net neutrality. Google and Verizon tried two years ago. And while AT&T doesn't have much to do with the bill, they certainly don't disagree either.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There will be outrage if they eliminate net neutrality for home based ISP's. People will realize it's price gouging because they are already paying $60-$70 for internet access.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about this. Is net neutrality just not a big deal when it comes to wireless devices? Because I, like millions of others, use a multitude of web based services. The internet went after SOPA and PIPA with a rage, yet hardly a peep is made about Verizon. In fact, this isn't Verizon's first stab at killing net neutrality. Google and Verizon tried two years ago. And while AT&T doesn't have much to do with the bill, they certainly don't disagree either.

There will be outrage if they eliminate net neutrality for home based ISP's. People will realize it's price gouging because they are already paying $60-$70 for internet access.

That's the thing. This isn't about Verizon Wireless, it's about Verizon wireline (DSL/FiOS).

Comcast has also been accused of throttling certain sites in the past.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That's the thing. This isn't about Verizon Wireless, it's about Verizon wireline (DSL/FiOS).

Comcast has also been accused of throttling certain sites in the past.

Before the rulling on net neutrality by the FCC, one of the ISP's threaten to block Netflixs IP if they didn't pay them a fee and I think another was going after console games.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Actions like this is why I avoid anything Verizon. They tried to charge me for calls I never made when I had a landline with them many years ago. They took me to court and never provided the requested documentation about the calls. They ended up settling the case because I filed a counter suit for those charges and undisclosed charges (mostly legal fees and lost wages as punitive charges).

It was over $200 in long distance charges for calls I never made to Croatia, especially when I put a total block for long distance and any codes to give access to long distance companies.

Maybe off topic, but just to let people know how awful Verizon has been to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon