All MoNa Volunteers Are On Slack

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To help facilitate more rapid communications between the Community Manager and volunteers at all the various Mobile Nations sites and to foster a sense of community with our counterparts at all the other "Nations" we will now be on the Slack messenger as well as Skype.

With that in mind, I've put together a bit of a How-To.

Step One: Slack is organized around Teams. You must be invited by the Team Administrator, in our case that is the Community Manager (James Falconer). For him to invite you it must be done via Slack and and the invite comes to your email address. That means James needs to have your email address. If you haven't gotten your invite, PM your Team Leader with the email address you want to use and it will be forwarded with the request for your addition. The email address is needed to sign up/sign in on Slack.

Step Two: It's easiest to start this process on PC in a browser. Navigate to www.slack.com to begin. Click on the "sign in" link.

slack001.png

Step Three: Enter our team name "monaforums" into the box. Click continue to join monaforums.slack.com..

slack002.png

Step Four: Enter the email address which received the invite. This is your "key" to entering Slack. Add a password of your choosing and sign in.

slack003.png

Step Five: Once you are in, you will most likely be in General Chat. This is everyone on the MoNa Team. In the sidebar on the left, click on your name - the popup is your control panel. I find it way more convenient to run the desktop App rather than a browser tab. The great part is the App and the browser view are lock-stepped, same look and functions. The desktop App is not in the store. After clicking on your name, you can download and install the Slack App for desktop.

slack004.png

Step 6:
Each Team has Channels (like chat rooms) that can be subscribed to. Click on the word Channels near the top of the left sidebar and select the Channels you wish to subscribe to. At a minimum you should be in General Chat and the Channel that matches your Title (Ambassador or Mod).

slack005.png

The General Chat has everyone in it. The Community Manager, Network Moderators, Michelle Haag (MoNa Office Manager and Member Accounts), all the Mods and Ambassadors from every Board: and our Social Media Team of volunteers. It's the big picture.

Step Seven: Click on your name again. Here in your Control Panel you can change your settings and preferences plus a whole lot more.

slack006.png

Step Eight: Get Slack on your Windows Phone. On your phone open the store and search for "slack." There is the new Slack (Beta) which is an official App. I'm just trying it out. It seems nice and consistent with the Desktop experience. Or you may want to try Channel Messenger which is a well regarded 3rd party App for Slack. I've used Channel Messenger for awhile and it works nicely and is stable.

slack007.jpg

For Android or iOS I have no first hand knowledge, but Slack is available across all platforms. Maybe someone will chime in below with some recommendation if any 3rd party App works better than the official one on Android or iOS.

That's it for now.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pro Tip: Fill in your profile so other can see what you do and at what site...

Click on someone's name in the chat to see their Profile thumbnail.

Click on your name and select Team Directory to see everyone listed.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
At first glance I thought the title was "All MoNa Volunteers Are On Crack" and my reaction was, "that explains a lot."

Looking forward to learning another messaging platform. Is it more than the IRC it appears to be? Can a standard IRC client connect to it?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So ehm I had a slight hiccup when trying to get in.. Simply navigating to slack.com > doing monaforums bit > gave me a log in screen, but not an option to set password? or the website expected me to have an account?

In any case, I bypassed that by going back to the mail James sent > clicking on the link (under "you may copy....") and that took me straight to where I needed to be :grin:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of Slack, has anyone seen the new Slack TV ad? I was surprised when I saw it.. looks like they went pretty big budget with it.

The animated one with all the animals...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am seeing this thread last used in April of last year, is it still valid?

Yeah, I did this a year ago when we moved off Skype and onto Slack for MoNa Teams chat. Should still be good. This thread was tucked away in the WC Ambassador Forum. We had some new entrants to Slack recently and the Volunteer Lounge seemed a good place to make it more visible to all volunteers... This is just the basics.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I did this a year ago when we moved off Skype and onto Slack for MoNa Teams chat. Should still be good. This thread was tucked away in the WC Ambassador Forum. We had some new entrants to Slack recently and the Volunteer Lounge seemed a good place to make it more visible to all volunteers... This is just the basics.

OMG did you get a 5th title! Robert you are like the only guy on Mobile Nations with more titles than me!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL... I volunteered to be an Idol 4S Champion. But for some reason the whole title wipes out all the others so James just left it at Champion. I'll take it.

:winktongue:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss