Price and availability?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
anyone want to take a guess?

for price im hoping its 399 or less. really do not see myself getting this for 500.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I could easily see this being anywhere from $500 to $2k, depending on the cost of the processors used. Kinda like how the prices on a surface can be so immensely different depending on what guts it has inside. Maybe they'll even offer different skus depending on if you just want a consumer device to play around with, or whether you need it for more professional applications like 3d modeling.

Alfred Neequaye

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's very true those expecting the HoloLens to be a budget device should rethink and figure out that this isn't just a wearable but a whole Computer on your head I also say $1K -$3K

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I too would be shocked if it was below $1k, especially with 3 processors onboard...

It was mentioned, that it'll be available within the Win10 "timeframe", so I'm guessing later this year.
Hey, maybe you can ask Father Christmas for a HoloLens for Xmas??? LOL
Joking aside, if they get the price right and they do indeed release it this year, I do believe it'll be on quite a few peoples (including children) xmas wish list!

G.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware of the guts inside. I mean I thought it would be cheaper than google glass since its bulky to lug around, so this is something that stays in the house. it would probably be around the same as Surface Pro 3 pricing? This is a computer after all.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Based on Dan's news post, it's possible MS are looking at mass-market appeal, so it's possible it could be available sub-$500.

Now the question is, if this was available this year, for under $500 would you buy it for yourself? Ask someone to buy it for you as a xmas gift? Or buy it as a present for someone else?

G.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't really have a good idea of what it will cost, but if it's as good as it's sounding, I might pay up to $2000 for it. At $500, I wouldn't even blink.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If it's anything like the video with hologram TV and other apps, I would pay over $1000 for sure. People pay $1500 for Google Glass which is literally nothing in front of hololens

Bullet25

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I would love to see this on the cheap end like $500~$600 that has the processing power for what it need to do, almost like a smartphone but can be connected to a PC and used essentially as a virtual monitor.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the video with hologram TV and other apps, I would pay over $1000 for sure. People pay $1500 for Google Glass which is literally nothing in front of hololens

the thing with google glass is that its something you take with you. I don't think you would want to bring this hololens outside your home. But considering its a computer pretty much tells you that it may be around 800-1000.
Is there a breakdown of the parts so we can calculate how much are they spending on this?

NIST

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't think they would release it until there was a solid set of software behind it or a tie in to XBox.

Matthew Thepc

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind the Sulon Cortex (sulon technologies .com, sorry I can't post links), a very similar idea, is going for $500 with a "high-end CPU and GPU" and "special algorithms for understanding the world around you"

HoloLens seems be this with the light thing instead of a display, plus the spatial headphones and the "HPU" replacing "special algorithms." Microsoft should have better relations with hardware manufacturers though, and I'd assume is willing to sell near- or at-cost, at least to developers to get new apps to work with it.

I'm crossing my fingers for a $500 price too, but looking at the Cortex I can't imagine it being much more than $1000

LSDigital

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah we need to know the hardware inside. 4 to 6 cams, laser, etc
If it delivers what MS said, I'd say it'll start around 1399 and then MAYBE 999 for Christmas.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up to 1999 but nothing more than that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes