Ideas and Uses

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
For Engineering and relates support, this could be the best thing since sliced bread. Just imagine a service engineer working on a machine somewhere having a direct connection to high level support/ R&D when working on an issue. I know my support engineers would probably double efficiency would they not have to explain everything over the phone.

I personally can see myself using this technology for Software development. It would be cool if for instance Visual Studio would let me "walk through" my code by visualizing classes and methods and how they are connected/interact with each other.
Designing databases by using 2D modeling of tables would be quite fun too.

And learning. I watch a massive amount of tutorials and stuff. It would be so much more fun to be able to "be at the object" you a relearning about.

Another use case I can see would be to capture beams, cables and pipes when a house is built and provide it to the buyer. No matter where you want to hang or mount anything in your house, you put up HoloLens and can see what's behind the wall, so you don't damage anything or try to mound something where the wall has little support.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Even if no specific apps are ever released (not likely!), the main use I would have for one is to take all the windows currently displayed on my monitor and put them in the 3D space around me.

As a network administrator, I could launch an RDP session to every server I manage, and arrange them on the wall for quick access.

Takertron

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought what about online shopping if you wanted to see how a watch looked on you or what a products dimensions and general feel looked like before you bought it that would help make your decisions. You could have a virtual "store" with items that you can pick up and see the good bit is with a click of a button change colours options etc. The other avenue would be advertising and even though it would be really annoying your watching tv and you see a car being advertised you click the red button and you can see the car you like inside and out in any colour you like any trim etc

yed19

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I am surprised that no one has said this on here...
Virtual Assistant. Think Cortana except its actually a person. This seems like the most likely thing since it is built on Win 10 anyways.

my next idea was a Haloworld. You can essentially create things in your own Haloworld and place them anywhere. You would then control your access rights to your own Haloworld (like file sharing) and could allow others to see your projects. I would imagine there to be a public domain as well where if you were to walk outside, you would get bombarded with marketing, sculpture graffiti, and other crazy things. I am just picturing two people playing with a virtual dinosaur on the corner while the Superbowl lights up the sky, all the while I have my own person walking musician walking next to me.
As an engineer, the design ideas are endless with making catalogs of parts available from online services managed by the vendors, suppliers, etc...

Cooking instructional demonstrations in your kitchen (and virtual cataloging so you don't forget where everything is).

Interior Design studios from manufacturers... I.e. How is that couch going to look and fit in my living room...

Virtual speeches/press confrences...

I could go on...

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Online hide and seek.
Online fps using special house modeling and logic (to accommodate different house styles).
Rollercoaster
Legos
Kick to destroy Minecraft blocks
Start menu
Compatibility with N3DS AR cards.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
How about something really mundane, once the technology matures and miniaturizes to the point you wouldn't be embarrassed to wear it outside the house. This scenario shows both good and bad aspects of the use case.

You walk into the local WalMart. You hear the voice of Cortana suggesting that she can show you your shopping list. It pops up right in front of you , including prices and the total it's going to cost you. Looking at the list, a couple of items are highlighted, meaning they're currently out of stock but the store's inventory system projects them to be restocked day after tomorrow. She determines the quickest path to where all the items are on the shelves, and projects a path on the floor for you to follow. When you get to each item, there's a big red arrow pointing at the item you're looking for. When you get to the checkout, you see all of your credit and debit cards and you "grab" one of them and then the transaction is automatically completed.

On the way out to the car, Cortana tells you she's found the items that were out of stock at another nearby store. Unfortunately, you don't notice the goons waiting for you in the dark who steal the device off your head, beat you up and leave you writhing in pain. But as you were being attacked you yelled "Hey Cortana, call the police!". Pictures of the thieves are uploaded to law enforcement, who arrest the perps a few blocks away. Your precise location is relayed to the ambulance driver. The ER surgeon does some stitches to fix some internal bleeding by using his hands and gestures to control a surgical probe that's been inserted thru a small incision.

I could go on and on with this, but you get the idea.

BirdBibo

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
1. Virtual poledance by Gisele B?ndchen
2. expanding the screen when playing an xbox game to make it more immersive
3. People could make 3d models of themselves which could be shown to people you talk to. Those 3d models could be integrated into larger scenes. You could have a cup of coffee on mars or in paris with a friend sitting on a chair in front of you and have a real conversation with him. When sitting in front of a kinect, maybe the 3d model could move like the real person does in real time.
4. Monkey Island Style games with a real scene created around you. You could move through the room and find the objects you might need and interact with them to solve the riddles.
5. Virtual striptease by Gisele B?ndchen
6. For start it would be kinda cool to see a character u play in lets say dragon age right next to the screen. Nice when you get new gear and stuff.
7. I dont know, but it would be awesome to play almost real tennis ^^ kinect tracking your movements and the glasses creating the court and the ball.
8. Boxing with a hologram of mike tyson in his prime
9. Virtual lapdance by Gisele B?ndchen
10. This could revolutionize e-learing. Your teacher right in front of you explaining

Last edited:

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't steal this pls. Only add more.
Mini desk toys, where you look on your desk and you'll see Newton balls, or a mini rollercoaster.

AndyWilliams

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking Virtual Pets could make a big comeback.

Also, how annoying/awesome will it be when 200 people storm the Empire State Building to fight zombies.

delesh

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You could put a super model's face over your girlfriend/boyfriend's if you are unsatisfied with their current appearance.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
A few ideas I had:

- Weather on the ceiling - you look up, and see a sky above with floating measurements (ie temperature, wind, humidity etc). The sky changes depending on the weather outside, and if it's raining or snowing, then raindrops/snowflakes can seem to lightly fall. Alternatively, you go to a window, and the measurements appear on the glass as you look outside.
- Taking your work with you - similar to what happens in the Iron Man films. You work on a PC, but need to move elsewhere for a few minutes. Maybe you need to remember something you just looked up or wrote, so as you get up, the screen, or a single object on it, seems to come away from the monitor and move with you. When you sit back down at your PC again, or look at your Windows phone/tablet, it will go back into the screen.
- Horror gaming. Imagine Slender Man, or some zombies following you around your house whilst you play a game. That would be the true meaning of horror. Loving the idea of a holographic Walking Dead FPS.
- Fresh paint - you can paint or doodle on walls, maybe even a holographic canvas, and save the images in a 2D form to look at on another device.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think this is better than Occulus because imagine you can hold a hologram gun -- both hands while saying grenade and it comes out and you grab it and you throw it to the enemy. Virtual reality sucks you in while Augmented reality lets you stay the real-world and technology comes to you. So you won't be anti-social-- I guess.

nolanpangestu

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I hope MS really make this thing perfect from desiqn, size, weight, specs, functions, and price... I can say that hololens will be the next gen of technology. You don't need any PC, any 2-1hybrid, any tablet, any phone, TV, and all that electronics system.. This gonna be one stop living service..

Ideas: 1. All PC ability to be served and desiqned for windows holograpic
2. Make Office to be able run on hololens too
3. TV ( local station and online services
4. Games from xbox or mobile or anything
5. Weather, stock, clock, all essentials
6. Animals, globe, and bring more kind of places like mars that has been made, all other misc
7. Its not only hologram but your health monitor.. It detect hearth beat, blood status, all hospital tech can do

If this happend and MS did it first.. The world gonna change for ever.. Dont let appl* make it better.. They just stole and say they are the first and the best.. Bring it on MS! :)

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. So you become Iron man like and maybe Cortana can now alert you. Hey server1 CPU is high, or server2 has low disk space and then you can issue commands like - what's the cause? etc., etc.... (but this could be like years in the making but we should never stop imagining).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You could put a super model's face over your girlfriend/boyfriend's if you are unsatisfied with their current appearance.
You might get HoloLens slapped off your face that way.

Exactly what I was thinking. So you become Iron man like and maybe Cortana can now alert you. Hey server1 CPU is high, or server2 has low disk space and then you can issue commands like - what's the cause? etc., etc.... (but this could be like years in the making but we should never stop imagining).

Years away from something like that. But without people dreaming it up and working towards it, we'll never get there. This is the kind of imagination we need to keep alive with this type of tech.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Lots of gamer stuff here but, I see this as a real opportunity for healthcare. The possibilities are endless and if MS hasn't already approached the medical manufactures somebody isn't doing their job.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I had a dream... Where you build a makeshift cockpit out of cardboard, then use the HoloLens to bring it to life (#StarFoxHL) (some assembly required) (barrel rolls not included)

Also, a try-before-you-buy shopping experience would be awesome! Imagine trying out your dream gadget, or seeing how you'd look in new clothing, or even test driving your dream car!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos