Who is planning to buy HoloLens?

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Because its not just a display device, and probably requires the horsepower of a surface pro 3 to be built in, I believe it won't be available for at least another 4 years. That said I would spend $600 on one.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to get one, but price and the wife may direct me to pass... Not sure why she is so much against it.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Would LOVE to have one of these, especially if I also had an HP Sprout; what a combination THAT would be! However, price is an object, and am in the midst of a 4 room remodeling (re-build) actually, so will likely not have the money available

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, depending on 2 factors...

1. Available content for it (software, games, media, etc)
2. PRICE, this will be a big factor (under $500 with a ton of software options, I would bet a day one buy for me)

Software is going to be the bigger deal for me, What is the point of cool glasses if you can only play 1 game or a few demos on it, After a month or so, with no new content, it's going to sit on a shelf and you'll never use it...

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that it will be about a grand on the low end and up from there. It certainly has to cost more to build than the Surface Pro 3, at least until they build enough to get some economies of scale. Worth it for a grand in my book. At that price I buy one immediately. Otherwise, it might make sense to wait for the second or third versions.

As for when, Microsoft said pretty clearly that it will be available at the same time as the release of Windows 10. They really didn't give themselves much wiggle room. Given how closely they know they will be watched over an announcement of this magnitude, there is zero chance that they are worried about meeting that date.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What is the point of cool glasses if you can only play 1 game or a few demos on it, After a month or so, with no new content, it's going to sit on a shelf and you'll never use it...
With just the features I've seen in demos, I'd be perfectly happy to pay whatever MS wants for it. Only one of their demos was about content consumption, the rest were all things you will be able to do with it every day. I'd see myself using it for around 80% of all the things I do on my phone, tablet and laptop combined.

Whilst this is an amazing first step, what I'd really like to see is a tethered version. If I could replace my big monitor with a HoloLens, then I could have all the awesomeness that HoloLens will bring as well as all the grunt I can muster from my workstation, without the need for a ginormous desk. Hopefully MS have seen the potential in that and will deliver a device we can sue with our existing PCs.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I will be first in line! Especially if it is in the sub $400 price range. Anything more, I'll think about and try to talk myself out of buying it... but still end up buying it.

ChiefStealth

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
It's all about the applications. Not just games, or videos. Although those will also be interesting. I don't know if what I will get will be MS Hololens, or some other VR system. I'll get one of them, for certain. Just don't know which one. I don't have any particular loyalty to a brand. I'll decide when I see the applications.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the idea that this thing can run windows 10 apps...? I want one, but like others have said, if there are only a few apps and some demos, it won't be worth it.
And whatever the dollar amount, I hope they don't do what they usually do and just replace the dollar sign with a pound sign lol.
But, yeah. Me wants. Soon!

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
When I first saw it I wanted it immediately but after thinking about it....

Personally, I'm gonna wait for V2 to be released. Once there is plenty of software available and they've had a chance to revise the design around that software. At the moment I can't really see the value in it unless you're an architect or designer. I'll never use it for watching movies or skyping or checking the weather or my calendar or anything like that after the first couple of days. I'll inevitably use it only for gaming if anything interesting comes of it for that purpose. Everything else is just a novelty that'll wear off pretty quickly.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be a trend recently, and it's one I do too. We all tend to get really excited about a product when it's announced, then we realise that there's always going to be a V2, V3 etc., of anything... so like the Apple Watch we just wait for the second revision and prepare to invest.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When I first saw it I wanted it immediately but after thinking about it....
Personally, I'm gonna wait for V2 to be released. Once there is plenty of software available and they've had a chance to revise the design around that software. At the moment I can't really see the value in it unless you're an architect or designer. I'll never use it for watching movies or skyping or checking the weather or my calendar or anything like that after the first couple of days. I'll inevitably use it only for gaming if anything interesting comes of it for that purpose. Everything else is just a novelty that'll wear off pretty quickly.
Why? When you buy any other new PC, do you go back to your old one after a few days?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon