View Poll Results: Will you buy a HoloLens?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no matter what the price is I'm having it!

15 31.25%
  • No, not a chance.

4 8.33%
  • Maybe, I need to see more before I decide.

29 60.42%
04-19-2018 11:05 PM
70 123
tools
    I'd like to get one, but price and the wife may direct me to pass... Not sure why she is so much against it.
    02-04-2015 05:43 PM
    Would LOVE to have one of these, especially if I also had an HP Sprout; what a combination THAT would be! However, price is an object, and am in the midst of a 4 room remodeling (re-build) actually, so will likely not have the money available
    02-09-2015 05:31 PM
    Sure, I'll get one....if they're easier to get than the Band. XD
    02-09-2015 08:28 PM
    Maybe, depending on 2 factors...

1. Available content for it (software, games, media, etc)
    2. PRICE, this will be a big factor (under $500 with a ton of software options, I would bet a day one buy for me)

Software is going to be the bigger deal for me, What is the point of cool glasses if you can only play 1 game or a few demos on it, After a month or so, with no new content, it's going to sit on a shelf and you'll never use it...
    02-15-2015 02:46 PM
    My guess is that it will be about a grand on the low end and up from there. It certainly has to cost more to build than the Surface Pro 3, at least until they build enough to get some economies of scale. Worth it for a grand in my book. At that price I buy one immediately. Otherwise, it might make sense to wait for the second or third versions.

As for when, Microsoft said pretty clearly that it will be available at the same time as the release of Windows 10. They really didn't give themselves much wiggle room. Given how closely they know they will be watched over an announcement of this magnitude, there is zero chance that they are worried about meeting that date.
    02-15-2015 06:00 PM
    What is the point of cool glasses if you can only play 1 game or a few demos on it, After a month or so, with no new content, it's going to sit on a shelf and you'll never use it...
    With just the features I've seen in demos, I'd be perfectly happy to pay whatever MS wants for it. Only one of their demos was about content consumption, the rest were all things you will be able to do with it every day. I'd see myself using it for around 80% of all the things I do on my phone, tablet and laptop combined.

Whilst this is an amazing first step, what I'd really like to see is a tethered version. If I could replace my big monitor with a HoloLens, then I could have all the awesomeness that HoloLens will bring as well as all the grunt I can muster from my workstation, without the need for a ginormous desk. Hopefully MS have seen the potential in that and will deliver a device we can sue with our existing PCs.
    03-12-2015 10:31 AM
    I will be first in line! Especially if it is in the sub $400 price range. Anything more, I'll think about and try to talk myself out of buying it... but still end up buying it.
    03-12-2015 12:59 PM
    It's all about the applications. Not just games, or videos. Although those will also be interesting. I don't know if what I will get will be MS Hololens, or some other VR system. I'll get one of them, for certain. Just don't know which one. I don't have any particular loyalty to a brand. I'll decide when I see the applications.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    03-17-2015 01:31 PM
    Sure....long as price doesn't get out of hand.
    03-20-2015 01:26 PM
    Isn't the idea that this thing can run windows 10 apps...? I want one, but like others have said, if there are only a few apps and some demos, it won't be worth it.
    And whatever the dollar amount, I hope they don't do what they usually do and just replace the dollar sign with a pound sign lol.
    But, yeah. Me wants. Soon!
    05-02-2015 10:34 AM
    When I first saw it I wanted it immediately but after thinking about it....

Personally, I'm gonna wait for V2 to be released. Once there is plenty of software available and they've had a chance to revise the design around that software. At the moment I can't really see the value in it unless you're an architect or designer. I'll never use it for watching movies or skyping or checking the weather or my calendar or anything like that after the first couple of days. I'll inevitably use it only for gaming if anything interesting comes of it for that purpose. Everything else is just a novelty that'll wear off pretty quickly.
    05-07-2015 03:06 AM
    This seems to be a trend recently, and it's one I do too. We all tend to get really excited about a product when it's announced, then we realise that there's always going to be a V2, V3 etc., of anything... so like the Apple Watch we just wait for the second revision and prepare to invest.
    05-07-2015 03:08 AM
    When I first saw it I wanted it immediately but after thinking about it....
    Personally, I'm gonna wait for V2 to be released. Once there is plenty of software available and they've had a chance to revise the design around that software. At the moment I can't really see the value in it unless you're an architect or designer. I'll never use it for watching movies or skyping or checking the weather or my calendar or anything like that after the first couple of days. I'll inevitably use it only for gaming if anything interesting comes of it for that purpose. Everything else is just a novelty that'll wear off pretty quickly.
    Why? When you buy any other new PC, do you go back to your old one after a few days?
    05-07-2015 07:49 AM
    I do want to buy it, but cost is a factor.
    05-10-2015 11:30 PM
    Will buy, definitely
    05-18-2015 12:21 PM
    Many people don't realise that HoloLens is a pc replacement. If you don't worry about pc applications, you shouldn't worry about HoloLens.
    DT_17 likes this.
    05-25-2015 01:45 PM
    Many people don't realise that HoloLens is a pc replacement. If you don't worry about pc applications, you shouldn't worry about HoloLens.
    I (nor I think MSFT) believe its a replacement for a PC, it will complement it, not replace.

G.
    05-26-2015 12:26 PM
    How will it complement a PC? It is a stand-alone Windows 10 PC in its own right. Obviously it depends on your definition but I can see this replacing my tablet PC, as well as doing many things I currently do on my laptop. It is not going to replace a workstation but for many people it could easily be the only PC they'll need.
    05-26-2015 08:12 PM
    Definitely go for once, and if i dint find it good i'd sell it off . But its a "atleast one time" have product.
    05-28-2015 07:07 AM
    Im not spending $1000 on a new version of virtual reality just because they came out with a new version under a new name. And just to be clear we´re talking about having to wear a really dorky uncomfortable visor unit on your head that covers your eyes. I cant believe microsoft is introducing this is wont go anywhere its garbage. & they're misleading people by saying its new untethered hologram technology . Its not untethered if you're wearing a dork visor that hides your eyes & makes you look like a robot. & I dont consider it a true hologram if I need to look through a visor to see it, a true hologram doesn't require a visor , & the image should be 3d & appear in our world visible by the naked eye. True hologram technology exists but is still being kept secret by the military.
    07-11-2015 07:16 PM
    Im not spending $1000 on a new version of virtual reality just because they came out with a new version under a new name. And just to be clear we´re talking about having to wear a really dorky uncomfortable visor unit on your head that covers your eyes. I cant believe microsoft is introducing this is wont go anywhere its garbage. & they're misleading people by saying its new untethered hologram technology . Its not untethered if you're wearing a dork visor that hides your eyes & makes you look like a robot. & I dont consider it a true hologram if I need to look through a visor to see it, a true hologram doesn't require a visor , & the image should be 3d & appear in our world visible by the naked eye. True hologram technology exists but is still being kept secret by the military.
    True hologram technology currently requires high power lasers and/or a "rendering medium," making it expensive and cumbersome. A headset that weighs and sits like a motorcycle helmet is an acceptable compromise.

Also it's not virtual reality, but augmented reality. VR replaces your entire field of view with something else while the Hololens simply superimposes something over top what you can already see.
    Last edited by grahamf; 07-12-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    spaulagain likes this.
    07-12-2015 09:50 AM
    Wow... I'm super late to this one, but as a wearables addict and a Google Glass owner, I have to say I'm intrigued by Hololens. Many of the reviews mention a limited field of view, so I'm interested to see how this actually works for myself.

The demos that Microsoft has been showing are quite stunning! Compared to the reviews we've been getting from those that have actually tried it though, they seem to tell a slightly different story (again, the FoV issues). I just hope Microsoft isn't setting everyone up for some disappointment and dooming the Hololens from the start. Personally, I would love to see this technology flourish and evolve into successive iterations/products.
    07-12-2015 11:05 AM
    Looks like none of us have to worry about price or budget now... Sigh

<link would be here not enough posts, see front page of site>
    07-14-2015 01:22 PM
    Looks like none of us have to worry about price or budget now... Sigh

<link would be here not enough posts, see front page of site>
    I'm guessing this is the article your referring to... http://windowscentral.com/satya-nade...rise-customers
    07-14-2015 01:47 PM
    Limited field of view is not a dealbreaker. Processing speed and movement control is critical. Most people turn their head if they want to look at something that's not directly in front of them. If you already wear glasses, you are very much aware that what's directly in front of you is better focused than everything else.
    07-14-2015 02:02 PM
70 123