Oculus Rift VS HoloLens - from the smoker's point of view

holonames

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
There is a big chance that Bob Marley (RIP) or even Christopher Hitchens (RIP) would be fans of HoloLens.

Here is why:

sl#WP

May 31, 2011
Visit site
It makes me think: why VR has to look like that. Then I realize the technology is flawed at its root. The problem is in the display. Honestly, the VR display works out like today is very difficult. They are probably very proud of their work. However, HoloLens' existence renders it invalid. It's a technology that is unfortunately surpassed before coming out.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It makes me think: why VR has to look like that. Then I realize the technology is flawed at its root. The problem is in the display. Honestly, the VR display works out like today is very difficult. They are probably very proud of their work. However, HoloLens' existence renders it invalid. It's a technology that is unfortunately surpassed before coming out.

HoloLens and Oculus Rift have very different practical applications. Maybe you are correct, but I see two entirely different devices with a bit of overlap in terms of practical uses.

Still too early to tell how Microsoft is leveraging this technology (technical demos were not enticing IMO), but I really do think HoloLens has a greater potential to appeal to the general consumer. (and even the enterprise!)
Oculus Rift was designed for people who are not too concerned with the world around them, which is mostly a niche (i.e. Gamers)

sl#WP

May 31, 2011
Visit site
HoloLens and Oculus Rift have very different practical applications. Maybe you are correct, but I see two entirely different devices with a bit of overlap in terms of practical uses.

Still too early to tell how Microsoft is leveraging this technology (technical demos were not enticing IMO), but I really do think HoloLens has a greater potential to appeal to the general consumer. (and even the enterprise!)
Oculus Rift was designed for people who are not too concerned with the world around them, which is mostly a niche (i.e. Gamers)

Well, the reason I am saying that is the VR effect can be easily achieved by HoloLens. Maybe there is variation in resolution, field of view, but that's not barrier that can not be overcome. I think theoretically, there is nothing the VR do and HoloLens cannot.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, the reason I am saying that is the VR effect can be easily achieved by HoloLens. Maybe there is variation in resolution, field of view, but that's not barrier that can not be overcome. I think theoretically, there is nothing the VR do and HoloLens cannot.

If you read this abstract you may understand the problem a little better: Near-Eye Light Field Displays (HMD/VR) - Silicon Valley ACM SIGGRAPH (Sunnyvale, CA) - Meetup
You are right on the face of it, but it would most certainly be impractical to have a dedicated 3D room and staff to achieve a similar effect XD

sl#WP

May 31, 2011
Visit site
If you read this abstract you may understand the problem a little better: Near-Eye Light Field Displays (HMD/VR) - Silicon Valley ACM SIGGRAPH (Sunnyvale, CA) - Meetup
You are right on the face of it, but it would most certainly be impractical to have a dedicated 3D room and staff to achieve a similar effect XD

I actually read this article (the entire research paper). The approach they presented is still regular VR display technology (if I remember correctly, I read a couple weeks ago). The display is near eye but in high density. This is not what HoloLens is doing.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually read this article (the entire research paper). The approach they presented is still regular VR display technology (if I remember correctly, I read a couple weeks ago). The display is near eye but in high density. This is not what HoloLens is doing.

Will have to wait for more details then. If HoloLens could facilitate a full VR experience (with the same efficiency) then kudos to Microsoft.
Having a hard time believing that the HoloLens could 'immerse' users in a similar fashion. I will take your word for it until I can try one out for myself ;)

Maybe since the generator is so close to the eye they can pull it off? Their sensors would need to provide a ton of data without killing the battery too haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers