What is your ideal fantasy for using Hololens?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So my friend and I got to talking about all of the possibilities of the use of Hololens and it got me wondering how other people wanted to use it.

I'm not referring so much to first gen, but down the road when the technology matures. But I seriously want to know, what is your ideal fantasy for the use of this thing, technical or monetary issues aside?

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So my friend and I got to talking about all of the possibilities of the use of Hololens and it got me wondering how other people wanted to use it.

I'm not referring so much to first gen, but down the road when the technology matures. But I seriously want to know, what is your ideal fantasy for the use of this thing, technical or monetary issues aside?

For me it is the potential impact on healthcare delivery. Emergency/Combat medicine are just tip of the iceberg, there are possible uses in rural health, education, public health, the list is endless, it could actually be one of those game changing events that totally revamp our expectation of healthcare delivery.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Talking far into the future I'd love to see Hololens shrink down to the size of Contacts. Being able to wear them all the time and replace the need for PC and tablets and smartphones.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I want it to become the only PC I need, or at least be the display for the only PC I need.
I noticed in a demo/advertising video clip that the user opened a TV screen on the wall. I would like to know how good that experience would be. What would the perceived resolution of the TV be? Then of course if you do this it could also be your pc display.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's the feature that most interests me. Given that I mostly watch standard definition content on my HD TV now and it looks perfectly good, as does the 240p stream from YouTube that is my default (to save on my 4G bandwidth) I'd be happy with similar res on a virtual screen. i.e. between 240p and 480p. I'd even look at painting one wall black to get the best picture quality from it.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Simply having things pinned wherever you want them. The advertising video for it where the guy's in his house, notes app on the refrigerator, travel "brochures" open on the table, weather forecast on the wall, virtual puppy running around, etc. The fact that you don't have to stare at a screen anymore to get your work done.

TASWinFan

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Everyone probably is thinking of some sexy applicatinos. But I would personally thing that medicine and especially medical schools could really find it useful. It might also be useful to microsoft to design concept devices out of thin air eh??

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I want to replace my computer monitor with the ability to just have my windows floating wherever I want them over my desk, with the option to bring one with me when I get up to get a glass of water.

I want it to let me play internet go on a real go board by inputting the moves I play with physical pieces and virtually superimposing my opponent's pieces on the board so it looks like their stones are really there.

Gotcha007

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
For me 2 things :
- Be able to 'draw' a TV bigger than the one I currently have :)
- Same thing for the Computer screen.

It's kind of amazing that fact that you will be able to do that anywhere you want, Kitchen, bedroom,... I'm so excited by HoloLens that no matter the price I'll go for it.

Manuel Arredondo

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm really excited for co-op gaming, I would love to play 'animated' board games...
- Imagine playing age of empires with your buddy, where the map is the living room.
- Not needing to own computer monitors or televisions, you could have a completely minimal home!
- customize your home with fictional items!
- create horror experiences and scare my relatives (image playing slender man in your home)

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Instead of wandering all over the place like in the demos, I'm thinking the Hololens would actually work great as a replacement for the desktop. You could be sitting in front of a desk and have your keyboard (and maybe mouse as needed), but use the Hololens to surround yourself with your work as opposed to being restricted to the monitors. Additionally any 3D modelling work would be easier to visualize, and you would have a bit more privacy if working with private or confidential information (or, problably more commonly, "adult entertainment").

It would allow for a more compact workstation because instead of having a bunch of monitors in a room you could simply have something like a secretary desk that everything tucks into when not in use.

Hritwik Biyani

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I would use it to create n develop my own "mind palace" :) Bing it if you don't know.

That would an awesome idea if you could create a virtual mind palace with it. Only thing is you should use hololens just to design the palace. You should be able to store and retrieve the memories without the hololens, because the whole idea of a mind palace is to strengthen your brain's memory.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
That's the feature that most interests me. Given that I mostly watch standard definition content on my HD TV now and it looks perfectly good, as does the 240p stream from YouTube that is my default (to save on my 4G bandwidth) I'd be happy with similar res on a virtual screen. i.e. between 240p and 480p. I'd even look at painting one wall black to get the best picture quality from it.
If the Hololens images are completely opaque I don't think that would help.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes but that's still a big "if" at the moment. Most reviews say that you can still see through all the holograms to some extent. Hopefully I will get to see for myself next week when Build comes to Sydney.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa