Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The Hololens has the potential to be
?your gaming pc/console
?desktop PC
?tablet replacement
?and smartphone replacement

All in one device!

By the 3rd,4th, or 5th Gen Hololens it could be mainstream, advanced enough and have enough people developing for it that it could replace all the things that Microsoft makes...One device to rule them all, alongside an OS to rule them all...

?You could play Hololens specific games or just PC games in a holographic window ( Holo-window)from as small as a phone to as large as your whole wall
?You could open any PC application up in a "Holo-window" wherever you want in any size
?open up windows store apps and use them at any size you want
?Maybe one day it'll be sim compatible and you can answer calls with it!

I think this is what could and what I predict will happen as hololens gets more advanced and even more important AFFORDABLE

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The only problem is the transition from physical interaction to holographic images, that you probably wont get much useful feedback from...
Accessories will still probably need to be bought like controllers for games, and perhaps paper to place a PhotoShop ( or any other art program) Holo-Window over when you want to draw in the program with a compatible pen

And also the feel and love of receiving a high quality tightly constructed smartphone would be pretty much gone, as your one and only device would be the hololens...but on the bright side picture taking would be more convenient!

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any of those things as necessary, all would be optional. e.g. I expect there will be times when I will still want to use a mouse with HoloLens, just as I sometimes use a mouse with my 8" tablet, but if I don't have it with me I would expect to be able to work without it (just like my tablet).

Things like game controllers, though, could morph into things that more closely resemble the thing in the game, like you get with Guitar Hero and things like that. And I can't see why you'd need a piece of paper to draw on with Photoshop when you can just project a white (or coloured) rectangle onto any surface and draw on that. Imagine doing a pencil sketch in Photoshop where you could put your stylus down and smudge the "graphite" with your finger and HoloLens (and Photoshop) would understand the difference - it would be a transformative experience for an artist.

Lastly, why couldn't "the feel and love of receiving a high quality tightly constructed smartphone" be translated into "the feel and love of receiving a high quality tightly constructed" HoloLens? I have to say that those feelings are not a factor for me at all when it comes to a new smartphone. A phone is just an annoying tool for me, a means by which any ***** can distract me from what I'm doing. The only time I've had that reaction to a phone was actually the last feature phone I bought, the impossibly thin Samsung X820. Since then, phones have been "meh" to me. That "feel and love" is something I get from a new laptop or a new music player or a new set of speakers and most assuredly from a new car, but never from a new phone. HoloLens will definitely give me that feeling, though, because it will be more like a new laptop than a new phone.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any of those things as necessary, all would be optional. e.g. I expect there will be times when I will still want to use a mouse with HoloLens, just as I sometimes use a mouse with my 8" tablet, but if I don't have it with me I would expect to be able to work without it (just like my tablet).

Things like game controllers, though, could morph into things that more closely resemble the thing in the game, like you get with Guitar Hero and things like that. And I can't see why you'd need a piece of paper to draw on with Photoshop when you can just project a white (or coloured) rectangle onto any surface and draw on that. Imagine doing a pencil sketch in Photoshop where you could put your stylus down and smudge the "graphite" with your finger and HoloLens (and Photoshop) would understand the difference - it would be a transformative experience for an artist.

Lastly, why couldn't "the feel and love of receiving a high quality tightly constructed smartphone" be translated into "the feel and love of receiving a high quality tightly constructed" HoloLens? I have to say that those feelings are not a factor for me at all when it comes to a new smartphone. A phone is just an annoying tool for me, a means by which any ***** can distract me from what I'm doing. The only time I've had that reaction to a phone was actually the last feature phone I bought, the impossibly thin Samsung X820. Since then, phones have been "meh" to me. That "feel and love" is something I get from a new laptop or a new music player or a new set of speakers and most assuredly from a new car, but never from a new phone. HoloLens will definitely give me that feeling, though, because it will be more like a new laptop than a new phone.
When you brought up the mouse, thats exactly what I was trying to say... Sometimes there will be times when you will want to use accessories such as a mouse or game controller when doing things instead of hand gestures all the time..and when I brought up feedback I was saying that when you do a hand gesture your hand isn't going to directly feel anything because its not always going to be tapping or sliding against a surface.. The most feedback you'll get is a short vibration or two from the headset...
Now about the feeling of having a new product... When your wearing a holographic helmet, it is on your face there is no smooth ,and beautifully designed handset for you to pick up, and admire or for you to get cool accessories for or customize in any way, any beauty the hololens has wont be able to be appreciated much during use because you wont be seeing or touching much of the helmet but instead its holograms... Some people may miss that experience some may not.. And about the PhotoShop thing.. I wasn't saying that you HAD to place the hologram over a piece of paper to draw in an art program,it would just feel better to take a pen and draw over paper or an aisle with a hologram over it than it would to take a pen and rub it against other surfaces like a desk...again i was simply saying what if's and did not throughout anywhere in my posts list something that the hololens would HAVE to do in a specific way to be functional, and not work at all if otherwise... My post was simply what if's, coulds, and shoulds...

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Now about the feeling of having a new product... When your wearing a holographic helmet, it is on your face there is no smooth ,and beautifully designed handset for you to pick up, and admire or for you to get cool accessories for or customize in any way, any beauty the hololens has wont be able to be appreciated much during use because you wont be seeing or touching much of the helmet but instead its holograms... Some people may miss that experience some may not..
All very well, except your phone probably spends 80% of its time hidden away in your pocket. OTOH, HoloLens will mostly likely be sitting where you can see it and fiddle with any time you want to. You'll only put it on when you want to use it, you won't be wandering around with it stuck on your head.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
All very well, except your phone probably spends 80% of its time hidden away in your pocket. OTOH, HoloLens will mostly likely be sitting where you can see it and fiddle with any time you want to. You'll only put it on when you want to use it, you won't be wandering around with it stuck on your head.

But the thing is when you ARE using the phone, you'll be experiencing more the just the content its displaying to you... You're experiencing its feel and the good looks of the device, while with hololens you lose SOME of that because your only experiencing the content not the actual helmet ( I know you'll feel it on your head,but its feels nice to be holding shiny, and beautiful tech with your hands), and just like hololens can be sitting somewhere you can see it while not in use, so can a phone..Phones can be sat on tables and counters and stuff too just like a helmet... And I feel a lot of people may indeed wander around with it on their head, specifically around their home... One of the key aspects about the hololens is it isn't drowning you in some holographic room.It's making holograms apart of the things you see around you, and Microsoft WANTS hololens to be the device that makes holograms apart of your life ,and not a separate experience you have to separate yourself from reality for some time to be immersed with..

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but when I'm using my phone, all I'm experiencing is a sweaty ear, I can't see it at all, or I'm concentrating on what I'm doing and not noticing the device itself at all. That's the thing - good technology should be invisible to the user when he/she is using it. If you are admiring it, you are distracted from the purpose of having it. And, as I said before, I've never owned a smartphone that made me feel good about holding it, I find them to be soulless slabs of nothing.

I don't look at HoloLens any differently to any other PC I use. Just like my phone, tablet or laptop, it is something I will use when I have a need and put away when I'm done with it. Yes, that may involve walking around with it on my head, just as I often walk around using my phone and tablet. However, just as the default position for those other devices isn't stuck in front of my face - it is either in my pocket (phone), my bag (tablet) or on my desk (laptop) - the default position for my HoloLens will not be on my head. In fact, like my tablet and laptop, it is very likely that it will be switched off most of the time and either sat on my desk or put away in a bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss