HoloLens: Even success for a decade?

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Will Microsoft be the only company with a device like HoloLens and have success with it?
Will Microsoft have good start, but a bad end, because competing companys come up with something like a HoloLens 2.0?
How will the HoloLens stay vs. Virtual Reality (Oculus, Sony,...)?

What are your thoughts of the future of the product and product the product type at all?

rahul rustagi1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
First of all understand it that oculus rift and hololens is different in every manner they could be rift is made for gaming while hololens can do anything rift is merely a screen but hololens is a whole phuckin set of tv,phone,pc,video player(if u know what I mean 😜),music player,Xbox screen and it doesn't cut u off from the real world where as rift does but again for gamers it is good to be alone at the time so hololens is one of its kind device right now and with ms combining with oculus and valve Ms got a firm hold of this newly emerging market

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Good to see at least one reply made it to my thread, though I wanted to know your point of view in how the future of of Hololens will be (for example market share etc.).

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Magic Leap will be hot on their heels, I imagine, and with Google behind them, they'll be able to compete on a relatively level playing field once they are up and running. The big questions, though, are for how long will HoloLens have the market it to itself and how effectively will they leverage that head-start. Right now I would imagine they will probably have it all to themselves for at least a year, possibly longer. If they can get their second-gen device out before Magic Leap enters the market, and it offers real improvements over the first model, then I think they will dominate it completely. Otherwise, it will probably go like the console market, a real arm-wrestle.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Will Microsoft be the only company with a device like HoloLens and have success with it?
Will Microsoft have good start, but a bad end, because competing companys come up with something like a HoloLens 2.0?
How will the HoloLens stay vs. Virtual Reality (Oculus, Sony,...)?
I doubt anyone can come up with a Hololens 2.0 without Microsoft. Hololens works because it's running a special version Windows. Any competitor would need an equivalent OS, which I don't think will be easy to pull off and be accepted by purchasers.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt anyone can come up with a Hololens 2.0 without Microsoft. Hololens works because it's running a special version Windows. Any competitor would need an equivalent OS, which I don't think will be easy to pull off and be accepted by purchasers.
HoloLens probably runs some type of Windows Embedded. There are similar Linux OSes that have that capability.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
HoloLens probably runs some type of Windows Embedded. There are similar Linux OSes that have that capability.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
Yeahhh, but GUI Linux is still a bit of a niche OS. It is very common for servers, but everywhere else you basically have distros optimized for a single small purpose.

Not saying it would be impossible, but a LOT of independent projects (from core OS components to APIs to 3D applications) would have to be reworked to make it work, and even then companies would prefer a dedicated solution with a clear line of support and intergration with their existing programs and services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05