Microsoft already behind the 8-ball? Meta Glasses?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of conjecture lately that while Hololens is impressive, Microsoft has already been "bested" by https://www.metavision.com/

Apparently, their headset has a much wider field of view and is much more immersive.

The downside of the Meta glasses is that they're not untethered but needs a PC - but their device is only $950.

However, it frustrates me that Microsoft could potentially already be "late to the party" AGAIN if it turns out the Meta glasses result in a better overall experience due to the FOV.

Thoughts?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Competition makes for a better end product for us consumers, so if Microsoft doesnt rise to the challenge and gets beaten to the punch, dont see a problem with it.
Sent From my SP3i3

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Nice, What this means , there WILL be a Hololens 2... and it will be updated in features. Still $949 instead of $3000 is more impressive for the end user.

Give it 4-5 years and there will be a really bad a$$ product out there that is reasonable in cost for end users to buy.

Still too much with available content right now, still very cool, I didn't know there was other companies building this. I wonder if they could share software between them.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the head set was tethered so the field of view could be better by using a very powerful PC. The demo wasn't as good as Hololens either. MS already has a lot of partners working on uses right now. So competition, yes are they ahead no they look way behind.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Metavision thing is really the same idea. Hololens uses a new form of technology that beams points of light into your eye at a precise position and focus (hence why the resolution is measures in # of points) while the Metavision seems to project a 1440p image onto a reflective glass. It won't have the natural focus of the Hololens - and may even be nauseating when switching focus from far distance objects to the projected objects. Plus it sounds like vapourware - not one of the tech sites I follow have even mentioned it once.

Plus Microsoft already has a fleshed out OS and interface - and easily has the technical skill to support it. The Metavision seems to not support 3d objects, instead forcing everything to 2D virtual desktops. It has more in common with the Oculus or the Vive than a Hololens.

The Hololens is seriously very different from VR, and the display technology used has NEVER been done before. You will have to see it in person to understand it.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
If you have used a hololens, you wouldn't even be asking this. Being untethered means you can do things like play roboraid throughout your house - AND IT IS AWESOME!

jkmail

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Meta glasses or hololens, i hope/expect the $950 $3000 price is targeted at the development version.

If these prices remain for the consumer versions, the glasses will remain an expensive "toy" for the elite and high end gamer only. Somehow I don't believe that was MS intention. I don't know about what Meta intend for their products.

I've already been disappointed by Oculus Rift, it seems to me like they're caught up in pushing the technology and have abandoned the consumer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99