Will the Hololens 2 have full FOV?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Seems to me that the current restrictions for the hololens are light point limits and a flat reflection screen.

Theoretically, I think there are three different things that can be easily achieved in a 2nd generation product to five a full field of view. It may even be solved by the consumer version:

1. Improved processing power. Moore's law may be dead, but it's relatives are still improving tech efficiency every year.
2. a curved reflection screen. It does take additional overhead to calculate the angles - and the design has to not refract external light, but it will eventually be doable. Even a series of flat screens fused with minimal bezels (like an old fighter jet cockpit) could do the job.
3. Lower resolution imaging in the peripheral vision. If you can track where the eye is looking, you can dedicate more resources to a high quality image while still having some for blurry details to you side.

I believe all three are attainable. They might not make it to the first consumer version, but they are not the level of complexity of making any Hololens in the first place.

It's still going to cost more than $600 for a while though, so don't ask. Maybe they'll sell a cheaper model that's restricted to the 15" at 2 feet window.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I am optimistic in future enhancement of Hololens.

Even for now, FOV can be improved by a much faster processor - remember currently only Atom processor is used. There is a big room for improvement even with today's technologies. Given Hololens is a premium device, adding extra cost for a stronger CPU is not a big deal at all.

I hope Hololens will gain successes in the enterprise in 1-2 years and it will be available for consumers in 2-3 years, with a much more affordable price (possibly just a bit more expensive than an iPhone) and much improved hardware.

I also look forward to slimmer design in future generations. I can imagine one day it could possibly replace my smartphone - a slimmer design, close to Google Glass, is essential for using outdoor so that one can wear it for a long period of time. One also looks less odd with a slimmer design of AR headset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster