Dell Visor not working with Surface Book (i7, dGPU)

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So I got a Dell Visor for my daughter for Christmas. Working great with my desktop. But it's giving me nightmares on the Surface Book (original model with i7 and dGPU) that she inherited from me when I got my Surface Book 2. I'm using the Surface Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter.

First, the Portal did not recognize the headset. It turned out that Windows did not find an appropriate driver for the USB side of the headset. I tracked down a fix that involved deleting a LowerFilter setting in the registry. Then the USB device showed that it was working fine in Device Manager, and the Portal saw the headset just fine.

Next, the Portal allowed me to setup the Visor, which went fine. Then the Portal said it was "Ready," and on my Surface Book display, it showed the house. Great. But inside the Visor, all I could see was gray. Like the whole thing was backlit, but that was it. Occasionally, I would see a Windows logo against the gray, and then back to the gray. Every once in a while, the Visor would display the controllers against the gray, and then they would disappear and back to just gray.

I didn't have any of these problems on the desktop computer. Clearly, we've got some driver or other software issues with the Surface Book. Not impressed, Microsoft.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately, only the Surface Book 2 with GPU are certified for Windows Mixed Reality Ultra. I'm not sure why, unless MS did something different with the dock this time around to make it work.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Kris. I don't need it to be "ultra." I'm fine with "normal." It passes the Mixed Reality check, but with the warning that it may be limited in some respects. But I'm not even getting "limited in some respects."

Checking the forums, there are a lot of people getting the same problems I have, even with the Surface Book 2.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I did a fresh install of windows, and ran into the same problem with it not recognizing my headset. So I did the same LowFilter registry edit, which got the headset recognized. After that, Mixed Reality started working and it seems to be working fine now. My daughter is playing Minecraft in VR as I type this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven