Home Windows Central Q&A > VR & AR Lounge

What's the difference between VR and AR?

Asked: Feb 21 2018 | 12:54 pm EST 6278 Views 12 Answers View Best Answer

Folks,

Sorta playing devil's advocate here. So wanted to know what is the main differences between VR and AR? And which one is better, OR which one should I get?

Best Answer

Feb 21 2018 | 1:36 pm EST realwarder

VR = replaces the world
AR = supplements the world

VR is easier to do and looks better today
AR is only really in the HoloLens in a production headset. Other things like iOS devices do this with a screen too.

Both are for different uses. Eventually AR hardware will do VR too.

Best experience today is a VR headset for gaming.

More Answers

Mar 24 2018 | 10:49 pm EDT Rob Phillips

They both have their place in the world but for different reasons. AR does a great job enhancing the environment surrounding the user which brings some really practical functionality. VR, on the other hand, creates a completely new world from the ground up all around the user. One isn’t better or worse than the other in my opinion. They’re just different.
Mar 26 2018 | 10:38 am EDT cprice27

To the best of my knowledge, AR is when a computer image is superimposed on object or in places in the real world. Virtual reality takes you into a completely computer generated reality and blocks out the real world. I honestly think that VR is the best of the two at the moment.
Mar 26 2018 | 11:54 am EDT pkcable

Another good question is where Windows Mixed Reality fits in:

The difference between VR and mixed reality.

This is a GREAT question! Thanks especially for the link!

I was sorta playing "Devil's Advocate" and asking a question I though might start an interesting discussion. PLUS make a good Q&A. ;)
Mar 27 2018 | 5:55 pm EDT Cale Hunt

realwarder nailed it. They both cross over in many areas, but VR seems to have the "I'm cool" vibe at the moment. I've seen too many people in hardhats wearing Hololens
Mar 29 2018 | 2:06 pm EDT pkcable

realwarder nailed it. They both cross over in many areas, but VR seems to have the "I'm cool" vibe at the moment. I've seen too many people in hardhats wearing Hololens
Of course Apple seems to be in the AR camp, so you know what THAT means. ;)
Mar 30 2018 | 2:15 am EDT justjun555

VR transport you in to virtual world
AR blends virtual world/object into real world without changing your reality.
Nov 14 2018 | 7:17 am EST andysoft

I liked this article, it clearly explained the differences and commons of AR and VR.
Apr 03 2019 | 9:26 am EDT Ryujingt3

To my knowledge (which is limited), VR puts you in a virtual world, AR puts virtual objects in the real world.