What VR games run on a Surface Pro?

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
So I have a desktop which plays most VR games well, but I also have a Surface Pro (2017) and I have been testing the WMR Store apps that will run "acceptably" on the comparatively low end Surface hardware. I have the i7 256/8GB version and a HP WMR headset.

My list of games that play well (so far) is...
  • Space Pirate Trainer (whoo hoo)
  • Super Hot (another whoo hoo)
  • Super Goat (runs well, ok game)
  • Floor Plan (runs well, ok game)
  • fantastic contraption (runs ok, great game if you're into that)
  • I Expect you to die (runs pretty well, cool seated experience)

What definitely doesn't run...
  • Arizona sunshine (one of my favourite games)
  • Mindshow (my favourite app)
  • As at 03/2018 Any Steam games via the WMR for steam plugin (taxes the CPU running steam home and clifftop at the same time - I think)

I know that a Surface Pro is not a gaming unit (nor do I expect that it should be) but I was pleasantly surprised to experience it running some great games reasonably well. SPT and Superhot as examples which makes for a great portable system.

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has tried this out and any recommendations for games that run well on super low end hardware.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:

Cale Hunt

WC Staff Writer
Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
That the Surface Pro can run those games decently is impressive. I have a SP4 here that I should test out for the hell of it. I'm curious, which adapter are you using between SP and HDMI?

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious, which adapter are you using between SP and HDMI?
I tried some cheap ones with varying degrees of success before I finally stumped up for the official MS Surface (2nd/4K Version - EJT-00002) on reports that it works flawlessly which it does.

I use it in conjunction with a set of 2m hdmi/usb3 extension cables to give me a bit more freedom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad