Amd Rx 480 and htc vive

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I used this combination for about a year and it worked really well. It had no problem playing any VR titles and didn't drop frames any more often that the more powerful card that eventually replaced it.

The 480 handles the resolution of the current generation of hardware really well, but I don't think it will stand up to the next gen higher resolution displays. In my experience, attempting to improve the quality of the image of games via supersampling above 1.2 or so would often result in nauseating stutters and dropped frames.

In short, if the 480 is what you've got (or can get one cheap) plugging a Vive into it will bring delight!

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Ah goo
I think i ll buy an AMD RX 480 8 GB

Ah yes, good point to clarify. My experience is based on the 8GB version as well, I don't know what the difference between the 4 vs 8 would be in VR.

Also note that the 480 is a generation old now (Rx580s are the latest version) and are roughly equivalent in performance to a GTX 1060 (6GB).

Enjoy!

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah goo

Ah yes, good point to clarify. My experience is based on the 8GB version as well, I don't know what the difference between the 4 vs 8 would be in VR.

Also note that the 480 is a generation old now (Rx580s are the latest version) and are roughly equivalent in performance to a GTX 1060 (6GB).

Enjoy!

It's not really a generation old, the 580 is just an overclocking 480. Slightly higher average OC than a 480 because of manufacturing improvements but nothing too significant. 480 is a great card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon