Can Anyone Compare WMR and HTC Vive?

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a Vive or Vive Pro but WMR could be a nice low cost alternative. My main interest is Steam VR. Is WMR a good choice or should I start saving my monies?

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm biased towards my purchase but I also think I'm right about the decision I made to buy a Samsung Odyssey though you wouldn't save much over a Vive but quality of visuals of the Odyssey is worth losing some tracking fidelity in my opinion. But that is farily expensive and the next gen headsets are getting closer though we don't know when exactly.

Another option would be to pick up a cheap WMR headset for now and wait to see hat is announced over the summer. E3 in June could possibly have some news. Then there is the intriguing possibility of Samsung revealing a next-gen Odyssey or Odyssey successor in August but file that under rumour for now.

A non-Odyssey WMR headset may not be good for you if your IPD is not within 2mm of default 64mm because the software IPD adjustment is not the best and the Odyssey is the only WMR headset with a mechanic IPD adjustment.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I forgot the comparison. In short WMR advantages are resolution, price, ease of setup (but not always), portability, much better customer service, no external sensors and cables except to the headset. Advantages of Vive are stellar tracking and mature software.

If you want the long version, I would just checking the /r/WindowsMR and /r/Vive subreddits

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes