Need advice on setting up my Windows Mixed Reality VR headset for comfort

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This is in continuation of my post last month asking for help in picking out a VR-ready PC.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on that thread.You guys made me realize what I prioritize in a computer, and ultimately made me get the dell gaming 7577 laptop instead of ascending and building my own PC. So yeah, thank you for aborting my ascenscion LOL.

So, I got The dell gaming 7577 laptop yesterday. YAY! It's big, It's thick, It's heavy, the power brick is appropriately named because lifting it gave me a workout. It's not pretty, and the led light felt like putting lipstick on a pig. Thank god I love pork because I'm still satisfied with it. I wanted something I can bring around the house for VR and that's what I got.

Here's the issue though. I tried the VR setup and it was fast and easy but a few minutes on gave me the worst migraine I've ever had. 24 hours after, and my eyeballs are still trying to run from their sockets. In opposite directions. I think about reaching for my headset and feel like barfing on the floor. This thing just gave me post-traumatic stress! I hope I didn't throw away money for a big fat ugly (but lovable) laptop and a modern torture headset device.

I need advice from people who have windows MR headsets. What did you do to make it more comfortable. Where do I go to have my IPD measured. Opthalmologist? Optician? Shall I just get a ruler and measure it like an *****? I heard about people swapping the face-foam for one from occulus rift or vive, did you do that? Did it work for you?

What did you do to make the experience more comfortable? Please help me before I throw more good money after bad during Steam's Sale that lasts until July 5. If I get this fixed I'll probably buy a bunch of VR games. Quick thought: The windows store should hold a periodic sale too.

Last edited:

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it motion sickness you are feeling?

Yes. Kind of, but my eyes hurt too. I frequently ride boats so its been a long time since Ive been seasick or had motion sickness though.

I think It's a combination of both IPD and the way it sits on my head. If I hold the headset in both hands and fit it over my eyes there's a sweet spot where it's in focus however if I let go and trust the headset strap/band to hold it over my eyes I never get to it no matter what I do. I must have a potato head or something. I've heard of some people ditching the built-in forehead and socket foam from their windows MR headset and replacing it with a spare from their vive/occulus rift and it seems to fix it however I would like confirmation from someone with the same issue before I go ahead and get one since I don't have one of those around. If anyone else has a different solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it too.

Also anyone recommend a good VR player for movies encoded in Cinema 3d SBS format? Movies and TV only works with spherical SBS. If not, then an app or program to convert cinematic 3d-SBS/LR to Spherical 3d-SBS would also work.

Last edited:

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Once I adjusted the IPD for my Acer HMD everything was fine. If I'm driving the SRV in Elite Dangerous on very hilly territory I get motion sickness. But that's true in real life, so I take Bonine...problem solved. The Acer rig is comfortable enough, although I think ALL rigs are just too big and heavy.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
so I take Bonine...problem solved.

I'd better stock up on the meds then! :smile:

Jokes aside, your suggestion about the IPD is spot on. Thank you. IPD adjustment is the best thing you could do first. It seems ,unlike other people, setting my IPD a little out of alignment gives me a terrible headache. After going to a clinic to get my correct IPD and setting up the MR headset with the correct one down to the second decimal greatly eased the discomfort. It did not entirely get rid of it though, I still have to find a way to get the headset to sit correctly on my face so the focus is correct.

Last edited:

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Chuckles with his VR headset gear.
IMG_20180702_150748.jpg
He's grinning from ear to ear but trust me he's having the mother of all headaches right about now.

Last edited:

EddieBarsh92

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
I don't have a WMR headset nor any PCVR headset but I do own both a PSVR and an Oculus Go. I have never gotten sick nor felt any sickness or headaches or eyeaches of any kind. However here's an idea that may help. Use a fan. Get a nice cool breeze blowing on you maybe it will relax you and help with the motion sickness. It will also help w the lens fogging up. Idk so much about the eye issues ur having but if ur eyes ever start to hurt close your eyes and hold them shut 5-10 seconds. That may help also. Maybe try lowering the brightness. Idk just throwing a few ideas ur way.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Update: I had my dad try the holotour app this morning. He loved it! I think he's thinking about getting one for himself. After recommending windowsphone to the whole family only to have my family reputation go down the drain with each horrible microsoft windowsphone decision or lack thereof, it's surprising that anyone in my immediate family would still take my recommendations seriously. I guess he had to see it to believe it this time.

Here's the thing, my dad is going on in years. In a ruder and blunter time he's be what you would term a senior citizen. He's had prescription glasses for a long long time. He hardly had to adjust a close enough IPD for him and he's been off using my lenovo explorer for hours without any issues. HOURS. No nausea, no motion sickness, no eye strain, just pure fun. He didn't even use his glasses underneath the VR headset saying he didn't need them and brushed me off irritably, the grumpy old man. Me? I don't need glasses, I have good night vision and it's 20/20 and the moment I put on the headset a migraine comes on. What gives?!? Maybe people who've had to adjust to eye issues handle VR headsets better?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss