Rift Vs. VIVE

LtDarthWookie

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Revive is actually an easy way to make Rift titles work on Vive. I use it to play games quite a bit. The only one I know that doesn't work is the Windows 10 version of Minecraft. Vive users have a mod for Java Minecraft that works better, IMHO.

Of course if you really really need to play Minecraft Bedrock version in VR you can do so in a GearVR instead of buying a Rift.

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course if you really really need to play Minecraft Bedrock version in VR you can do so in a GearVR instead of buying a Rift.

That's true but it's alot more limited in terms of the complexity it can handle and how you interact with it? I don't know too much about it so just curious. Thanks!

LtDarthWookie

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
That's true but it's alot more limited in terms of the complexity it can handle and how you interact with it? I don't know too much about it so just curious. Thanks!

I haven't played a whole lot of the VR version but it appears to be the exact same as the Pocket Edition which I have played a lot of. The parity between the pocket version and the Bedrock edition on Windows 10 and consoles appears to be 1 to 1. The only major difference I've seen in the GearVR version is draw distance is reduced. Other than that in the short time I played it I could perform all of the actions I could in the Xbox version or pocket edition including joining realms that my friends ran.

LtDarthWookie

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
So I've spent a little more time in it. It's got a nice feature to switch between "living room" and VR modes. Living room is what it sounds playing regular Minecraft on a large screen and VR is of course VR. All you have to do is tap the touchpad on the GearVR to toggle. However even with the VR turning enabled I can't play the VR mode for long without motion sickness. I think due largely to the fact that the FOV for VR mode is so small. If they enabled a larger FOV I think it would be a little easier but for now it's pretty intense.

Belle_Celeste

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
For me, lone echo has been the game that got me interested in VR, but I have yet to play it. Of course it's an oculus exclusive.

Huh, when I initially saw promotional art for Lone Echo, I wrote it off since I'm not a fan of any space-related games. Given your praise of it, however, I did look into some gameplay footage and realized I judged it too quickly. It does seem like it would be a good game to try!

And thank you kris, I never heard of Revive, so that certainly takes away any leverage a headset may have over the other in terms of game exclusivity.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Revive is an amazing project, but since more devs are now making their apps Steam compatible, it is basically going to be needed for the Oculus exclusives only.

As for the Windows 10 version of MC, it has something to do with the containers that UWP apps use as part of the process. SteamVR needs more hooks than base Win10 apps provide, and any VR hooks have to be coded into the app.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After trying both headsets, I go with the Vive because of the better FOV. This was a deal breaker for me and I couldn't get used to the Rift in spite of all its advantages. I was still seeing the black borders of the screen as if I was looking through binoculars, totally loses the VR immersion, while on the Vive I didn't notice the screen edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6