Rift Vs. VIVE

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Honest question here, I don't want to upset anyone with a VIVE, but I'm having difficulty justifying purchasing the VIVE over the Rift based on current software.

I am considering the VIVE because the lighthouses don't require USB so are easier to place in a room. They seem to provide better tracking when doing room scale while only using 2 sensors. I have been happy with all my HTC purchases. There is no connection with Facebook.

However, I'm just not seeing a good enough software lineup. Valve say they are working on some big titles but they haven't shown anything yet, and we all know what Valve time is like.

On the other hand the Rift seems much better supported with Lone Echo really standing out for me.

I know there are hacks to get Rift games on the VIVE but I've looked at the forums and it isn't all plains sailing. I simply don't that any time to waste troubleshooting.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I bought a Vive about 15 months ago, have a windows MR, have tried the Rift and my (humble) opinion that the lighthouse tracking is the most reliable out of the three at this time. But as you point out, games like Robo Recall and Lone Echo aren't available on the Vive without a bit of hackery. If you need those games you probably have your answer.

The lighthouses not requiring a usb connection was and is a pretty big deal for me as I mount my lighthouses on telescopic poles, stick the breakout box out the window and setup in a 5x5m play area on the back deck when I want a bigger space than the computer room. It only takes about 10 minutes to set up and likely wouldn't be possible if I needed usb connections as well.

All that said...Lighthouse 2 is just around the corner, as are dramatically higher resolution screens, wireless transmission and the evolution of inside out tracking. An investment now is an investment in ~2 year old first gen technology that is due to be eclipsed, possibly leap-frogged in the not too distant future.

If I were buying it right now, I would invest as little as possible (even consider second hand) to get the experience you want which likely means a Rift.

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Cool thanks for the post you raise some good points. I can't help but think HTC have a brand new headset in the works once they have the lighthouse 2.0 sensors ready. The pro seems to me to be really just for developers. I think that HTC really did a bad job explaining it's positioning. Oculus have said not to expect a new Rift before 2019, unless it's really 2019 i don't think I'll wait that long.

Still though, regardless of hardware, oculus really seem to be pushing hard on a software front. Valve just seem to be letting it happen organically. It's not Thier core business though so if suppose that's the big deference between them and oculus...

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Yea, the vr market is so small its a pity they have fragmented the market. Maybe they could just charge more for non Rift users, recoup their investment in the games that way....

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Yea, the vr market is so small its a pity they have fragmented the market. Maybe they could just charge more for non Rift users, recoup their investment in the games that way....

This is the reason why I don't use the workarounds to play or buy Rift only titles to play on my Vive. I understand there's subsidies at play and that game studios need upfront investment and have to make money, but the choice (by Occulus) to lock it to proprietary hardware is just that....a choice. A choice that fragments an already tiny VR market.

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
So you do t want to give them any money at all on principal? I suppose I can respect that. I don't think I could resist myself though!

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Nah, I'm not going to go all super self-righteous and principled and certainly don't frown on anyone using Revive. For me personally, there is currently enough hardware agnostic content on Steam that I don't feel the need to go out of my way to support exclusives. I buy a lot of VR games and prefer to support the studios that weren't lucky enough to get an exclusivity deal.

That said, I'm happy that companies like Occulus and Valve are investing in game development and I absolutely want to see them succeed and be profitable so that they can make the next awesome game. I would be even happier if they recognised they could be more profitable and successful if they let WMR and Rift users also buy their game.

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Oculus have said not to expect a new Rift before 2019, unless it's really 2019 i don't think I'll wait that long.

P.S. I didn't say wait :) I think everyone should be having as much fun in VR as I am, what I suggested was to invest as little as possible in this generation at this time and even consider a 2nd hand setup.

Cale Hunt

WC Staff Writer
Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Like others have said, Vive tracking is the best. I personally like Touch controllers more than anything else, and the Oculus library has some great content. WMR, though, is quickest to set up and can be used with a wide range of hardware.

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
This is true, the touch controllers feel nice and somehow more natural. I had to pull one of my Vive controllers apart today and "do the touchpad fix" ;-/ first gen hardware....

Entirely off the subject, but I hope the knuckles controllers arrive soon!

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Yea the touch controllers look that bit nicer that the vive controllers alright, definitely look better balanced. Decisions decisions. Thanks for all the help everyone. Can't believe the rust is 2 years old now. Time has flown!

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Playing loads of sea of thieves with my brother at the moment, it could be a great vr game with a few modifications.

I'm really dying for a chance to try it to, especially lone echo and some of the "experience" style videos like the moon or undersea ones.

Belle_Celeste

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I've been so flip-floppy on which headset to get (Rift vs Vive vs PS VR), so I appreciate people chiming into this thread with their own opinions/experiences. I've been reading tons of articles that weigh in on game exclusives, comfort, price, etc, and have now started to factor in user reviews.

There hasn't yet been any exclusive yet from what I've seen that has made me go "I NEED this", so hopefully the line-up is better this year to help me narrow my choices. It was definitely a lot easier deciding Xbox vs Playstation. :grincry:

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been so flip-floppy on which headset to get (Rift vs Vive vs PS VR), so I appreciate people chiming into this thread with their own opinions/experiences. I've been reading tons of articles that weigh in on game exclusives, comfort, price, etc, and have now started to factor in user reviews.

There hasn't yet been any exclusive yet from what I've seen that has made me go "I NEED this", so hopefully the line-up is better this year to help me narrow my choices. It was definitely a lot easier deciding Xbox vs Playstation. :grincry:

For me, lone echo has been the game that got me interested in VR, but I have yet to play it. Of course it's an oculus exclusive.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Revive is actually an easy way to make Rift titles work on Vive. I use it to play games quite a bit. The only one I know that doesn't work is the Windows 10 version of Minecraft. Vive users have a mod for Java Minecraft that works better, IMHO.

richiegore

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Revive is actually an easy way to make Rift titles work on Vive. I use it to play games quite a bit. The only one I know that doesn't work is the Windows 10 version of Minecraft. Vive users have a mod for Java Minecraft that works better, IMHO.

That's cool, has it been pretty stable/ easy to use since the debacle when oculus implemented the hardware check to see if a rift was installed?

Strange the windows ten version of Minecraft doesn't work well, what with that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3