Affects of being on VR for long durations

Cale Hunt

WC Staff Writer
Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Just wondering about this before getting one. Does anyone have more personal stories of long term effects of using VR?

I played straight through Narcosis and my eyes suffered...they were strained and sore. Also took a nap right after and had terrible dreams.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes I feel a mild disassociation with reality upon leaving the VR world, BUT it passes pretty quickly. So far no long term negative affects, that I could detect.

cprice27

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
Wearing a headset for a long time can definitely hurt the head. Also, depending on the game, playing for a long time can cause VR sickness.

Richard King5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I usually don't but my wife gets a little motion sickness. I have before when turning off comfort mode in google earth and flying for just a few minutes made me feel really sick and uncomfortable for about 6 hrs.

jkelek

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i've played over an hour many times, the worst that happens is my forehead gets sore from the headset resting on it, even when it's not super tight. there's no going back from this feeling either, needs about probably 20 minutes without the headset on for it to feel relieved, you feel immediately relieved after taking off the headset and it's really not that bad, it's the same as wearing anything tight nearly anywhere on your body for a period of time. that's usually my cue that i've played too long anyway and it's about quittin time.
I don't have any visual issues. I wear contacts as i'm near sighted, it's better to wear your contacts as the viewing then is consistent in both eyes for better viewing experience if your eye strengths differ. I can easily tell a difference in this.
I feel you get more immersed in the experience after about 5-10 minutes.
vr is awesome.
I have the Lenovo explorer.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
No long-term effects. If I forget to take Bonine before an Elite Dangerous session and I spend any time in the SRV, I do get motion sickness. Pretty bad, in fact. Quite a few of those planets and moons are VERY hilly. If I'm just flying around space, even in a battle, I don't get sick. But on the planet? Yikes. But nothing outside of that. The only thing I use VR for is Elite Dangerous, since I can't find anything productive about VR outside of gaming.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I feel a mild disassociation with reality upon leaving the VR world, BUT it passes pretty quickly. So far no long term negative affects, that I could detect.
I get the same kind of feeling. I don't have trouble while using my headset; but once I take it off, I feel somewhat strange for a small amount of time.

onemoredave

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I've played quite a few games for several hours at a time, the latest being Obduction for a couple of multi-hour sessions last weekend. I can agree with the mild disassociation with reality, but no other noticeable effects.

I recall one such amusing disassociation in the early days of VR afterI had been playing the gallery 1 - Call of the Starseed until the early hours of the morning. When I got out of bed a few hours later, still half asleep, I instinctively pointed my hand towards the door as if I was still holding a controller and expecting to be teleported there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo