I just spent the last hour trying to sync a ringtone to my phone. I took a song, copied it, edited the copy in movie maker, saved it as a wmv then converted it to mp3, saved it in My Music so that showed up in Zune, edited the genre to make it ringtone within zune, added "ringtone" as artist/album name/etc. so it didn't say unknown everywhere, then for literally AN HOUR tried to sync it to my Mango Quantum - plugging in and out of my pc, switching between "never sync" which it would become occaisionally automatically, to sync, only to sometimes see it sync on zune but not show up on my phone, other times not, other times an error message, and sometims disappear from Zune completely.

During this hour, I also found and deleted song duplicates that I deleted through Zune but were still on my phone (yay....AAAAHHHHHHH!!!) and didn't even show a file size, and then I also went into Windows Explorer to edit the genre of the file itself to ringtone because even though I changed the genre on Zune it was blank on the actual file properties. Suddenly, perhaps because of the things I just described or not, it NOW finally shows up.

Even still, the current status of it on my phone is shoddy and questionable at best. It shows up as a ringtone and plays, but:

-It doesn't show up in my phones music collection - when I go to "Music" and then "genres" the ringtone genre doesn't even show up.

-Now, in Zune, the ringtone file on my pc shows up as a song, but at one point it wouldn't show up as part of an "album" until I went back in to Windows Explorer, removed the album title, and then re-edited it in Zune (even though I originally edited the damn thing in zune and only edited the details in windows explorer for the file because they weren't showing up)

As I said the ringtone is now on the phone, but isn't in my music collection on my phone - on my pc in zune, it's in my music collection but has the circle with the diagonal line as if it's set to not syncing with my phone.

In other words, the file is both there and not there and both supposed to be there but not supposed to be there. And I'm about to have an aneurysm. Because I tried to make a ringtone.

Maybe it's just me and something wrong with my pc, but dammit I'm sick of these random b.s. issues that are small but extremely annoying.

I'm posting this to both vent and see if anyone here has had this issue and/or has any idea why this took up so much of my time. The original song I copied and then edited and then converted to an mp3 was "The Hellion" by Judas Priest - DRM shows up as "No" and copyright was blank and uneditable in windows explorer. I even changed the file info in Win Explorer to say "Me" as the publisher in case that was holding it up.

If someone wants the file, I'll upload it once someone tells me how to convert it to a zip folder. I've never zipped anything - just unzipped. Ugh.

I'm going to get back to my life now....f*#%%ing ringtone...
    07-20-2012 05:04 PM
    AFAIK, ringtones are not meant to show up in your phone's music collection. When Microsoft is asking you to restrict them to 0:40, 1MB and under the genre "Ringtone", it's unlikely that you're coincidentally adding music you want to listen to. Just copy across the full song with a proper genre tag.
    07-21-2012 07:32 AM
    As I said the ringtone is now on the phone, but isn't in my music collection on my phone - on my pc in zune, it's in my music collection but has the circle with the diagonal line as if it's set to not syncing with my phone.
    10-09-2012 06:53 AM
    I don't face this type of problem...
    08-13-2013 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD