How can I add my own custom ringtone using an MP3 file?

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Want to add my own custom ringtone using an mp3 file

I have a Karbonn Titanium Wind W4 phone.
The OS is Windows 8.1 update 2.

I am trying to add my own ringtone mp3 file. I have connected my phone to the computer (Windows XP SP3) using the USB cable. I go to My Computer and then to the my phone drive.

It has a folder called Ringtones. I copied my mp3 file (which is present on my desktop) which is just 81 kb in size and then try to paste it in the Ringtones folder. Its not allowing me to paste. The paste option is not highlighted, its greyed out.

When I right click to paste, the paste option is greyed out but I do get an "Undo Copy" option.

How can I fix this ? Please help

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Want to add my own custom ringtone using an mp3 file

I tried dragging and dropping the file. It didnt work. The file has no copyright issue because I had downloaded this ringtone file from the internet and have used it for many years in my older phone.

I cant even paste pics from my computer to this phone. I have Windows XP SP3. Could that be the problem ?

I am attaching a screenshot

Attachments

• copy paste.JPG
    copy paste.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 3

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

No you should be able to sync files to your phone even with Windows XP SP2. Do you have a PIN set on your lock screen? If you do, disable the PIN setting and then try to sync.

You can also try to sync with your phone via Windows Media Player.

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site

I just bought this phone today and it has no lock or pin. It auto locks after 1 minute and I just have to click the power button once to unlock it

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

A workaround is to upload the mp3 to Onedrive. Open Onedrive on your phone, select the mp3 file, tap download, and then select ringtones.

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Is there no way to simply copy the files from my computer to the phone using the Windows Explorer ?

I could do that with my earlier phone which was not even a smartphone

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It should be possible, but somehow Windows XP thinks that you're not authorized to do that. It likely sees the phone as read only and this is likely due to some security setting that is enabled within Windows Phone.

Did you try syncing while the phone is on the startscreen (so not locked behind the lockscreen)?

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I can copy files from the phone and paste it to the computer but I cant copy and paste any type of file from the computer to the phone. If there is some security setting thats stopping me from doing that, then can you please tell me how to take out the security ?

I do not know how to sync

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Or maybe there's something wrong with the Windows Phone drivers on your pc. You could try to uninstall the Windows Phone drivers and then reconnect your phone. This will automatically reinstall the drivers on your pc.

Are you able to copy files to your phone using another pc?

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
device manager qualcomm.JPG
Or maybe there's something wrong with the Windows Phone drivers on your pc. You could try to uninstall the Windows Phone drivers and then reconnect your phone. This will automatically reinstall the drivers on your pc.

Are you able to copy files to your phone using another pc?

How can I uninstall the Windows Phone Drivers ?

Last edited:

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Go to Control Panel, then Device Management, find your phone and right click on it and choose uninstall. Also make sure you have Windows Update enabled so you will receive the latest drivers when you plug in your phone.

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanx Colin,

But it seems that I cant copy and paste any kind of file from my computer to the phone, but I can copy files from phone to computer

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Go to Control Panel, then Device Management, find your phone and right click on it and choose uninstall. Also make sure you have Windows Update enabled so you will receive the latest drivers when you plug in your phone.

I uninstalled and let the phone reinstall. It still doesnt work.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried to install the Windows Phone Desktop App, available for download at Microsoft's site, onto your XP PC? It may only work for Windows 7 or Vista, but it's worth trying to install. It has sync options for music, photos and ringtones and the capability of selecting individual files for transfer to and from phone and PC.

The previously mentioned OneDrive solution posted above should work using the OneDrive website in your PC's web browser, after logging in with the same Microsoft account as your phone. Upload the file on the PC and open it from the OneDrive app on your phone or download it using XBOX Music on your phone, then it should be available using the preferred Ringtone app.

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried to install the Windows Phone Desktop App, available for download at Microsoft's site, onto your XP PC? It may only work for Windows 7 or Vista, but it's worth trying to install. It has sync options for music, photos and ringtones and the capability of selecting individual files for transfer to and from phone and PC.

The previously mentioned OneDrive solution posted above should work using the OneDrive website in your PC's web browser, after logging in with the same Microsoft account as your phone. Upload the file on the PC and open it from the OneDrive app on your phone or download it using XBOX Music on your phone, then it should be available using the preferred Ringtone app.

920Walker,

I dont want to sync or use any online storage feature. I simply want to be able to copy paste files from phone to PC and from PC to phone using my Windows Explorer.

Right now, it only allows me to copy paste files from Phone to PC and not PC to Phone

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If the desktop app works with XP the Sync functions can be disabled by opening the app and turning sync off before connecting the phone. All files of types allowed to be transferred by the app will be listed in the app after connecting the phone and can be individually selected to be copied to the phone with no worries of accidental syncing and duplicate creation. This may be the only option if a typical mass storage transfer isn't working in both directions using explorer.

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled and let the phone reinstall. It still doesnt work.

When you connected your phone did you install anything other than the drivers?
According to this page you shouldn't:
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/photos/sync-photos-and-videos-using-my-computer

"If you connect your phone to a PC running Windows XP, your PC may mistakenly ask you to install software that isn't available. If you get this wizard, click Cancel – you don't need to install the software. You'll then be able to use Windows Explorer to move files between your phone and your computer."

kunjikorans

May 22, 2015
Visit site
-8-,

I will tell you what I did ..

I connected my phone to PC, it gives me a message that it has found a new hardware and will install it. I click next to let it search. It searches and doesnt find anything and the process finishes. I try copy pasting and it doesnt work.

Then I removed the Qualcomm_device from the Device Manager and then try to copy paste, it shill wont work.

Then I reboot my PC, after the PC boots up, it says it found new hardware and has to install it. I click cancel and they try to copy paste and it still wont work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077