How to map OneDrive as a Drive Letter in Windows 10

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is slow and clunky to use, I do not want to keeping temp files, as it will eat up my SSD but, clicking on the drive will prompt for logon, after hitting it 2 times, it will stop asking and about 30 seconds later the files show.

Admitting this is the first time after a reboot but, it's still there...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This is slow and clunky to use, I do not want to keeping temp files, as it will eat up my SSD but, clicking on the drive will prompt for logon, after hitting it 2 times, it will stop asking and about 30 seconds later the files show.

Admitting this is the first time after a reboot but, it's still there...

Yes, unfortunately this is not a perfect setup, but it is a way to keep working, even if first access is rather slow.

Don't feel bad, it takes longer than 30 seconds for the files to show on my system. This is for the people who must have access to all the files without room for all the files. I actually have room for all my files, as I have a large HDD instead of an SSD in my laptop. I just created this how-to and set it up on my end for testing so that I could help people that needed help with this.

It's kind of like when your rowboat is filling up with water. You can't repair it while out on the lake, but using a pale to scoop water out to keep the boat afloat is better than drowning. Hmm. Maybe that's a bad example. Then again, some people may feel that way.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
is there any way to do this with dropbox ??? please
i want to do it with this https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ierx5qz93zx6bh4/AAAqbdvjTvESFnwHu3330MPFa?dl=0 its a public link

This is an excellent question for a new thread. This thread is specifically about OneDrive, and I don't want to confuse people. I also don't have any experience or knowledge about DropBox at this time.

Doing a quick search for "Mapping DropBox as a Network Drive" yielded a number of results, most dating to 2011. I have no idea if they still work, but I'd recommend starting with a search for that.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Incidentally, after days of messaging OneDrive on twitter about auto backup of camera roll (without sync) they sent me to a chat operator, who told me yes its doable on W10 but I would need to phone them to find out how to do it.
Auto-upload does work, just not immediately as it did before with WP8.1. It now waits for the best Wifi conditions, and an idle system state. Be patient, your pics will show up in the camera roll folder automagically within a day or two. If you must have them there right away, you can always manually "share" them to your Ondrive folder of choice.

When I go to onedrive I don't have any cid code??? It just says OneDrive.live.com
You've gotta click on one of your folders.

qbenguy

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I followed the instructions, and I think as a result all of my notes on OneNote have bee duplicated. This may be tied to something else, but in any event I'd like to reverse this process. Is it as simple as going into File Explorer, and deleting the new drive? Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
qbenguy

Enzo Contini

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I tried just now to follow your method but when I go to my OneDrive and I select Files I have in the URL bar: "https://onedrive.live.com/#" ... so no CID displayed (anymore) now ...
I tried with both IE and Firefox but the result is the same (as expected).
So, how can get my CID now???

Thank you Enzo Contini

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Looks as if Microsoft has reworked the web site where the CID will no longer show. I can't get it either. How to get it know? I have no idea. Perhaps someone will come up with something.

Joe Rodak

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with this method after upgrading to 10586.29? I have two computers, neither of which will connect to my mapped OneDrive folder after upgrading. Not sure if it matters but I do have the authenticator app so I have to use a code every time I log in with a new device but I am using an app password because OneDrive doesn’t support app codes. It worked before on 10586. It’s telling me access is denied.Capture.PNG

Shabby15

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me. You need to go through your browser to OneDrive.com and click the checkbox that says remember my password on the site. Close the browser and reboot. You wont get this error after that.

RKelly6

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
After the Windows 10 update, I started to receive this very same error message and I had already mapped the OneDrive just as you did on each machine. As each PC updated with the new build, it refused to connect. I checked everything, the CID, the App password, I even tried multiple new App passwords and trying with and without two-step verification, to no avail. I even tried the "remember your password" suggested by another user on this thread for the OneDrive website, and yeah, that definitely didn't work either. I contacted a tech at Microsoft and they and their manager didn't even know you could map a drive like this. The lesson learned was that we need to call MS's Pro support (M-F, 8am-5pm EST) to see if anyone smarter can figure out what to do. That being said, anyone else figure this out yet? I'm strongly debated another cloud service that can support mapping. I found synchronizing files to be a waist of time, OneDrive really should just be a mapped drive to begin with...why they haven't gone that route yet is beyond me.

QUICK UPDATE: For one of my PCs I was able to go to the START SEARCH Bar, run the system recovery and return to the previous build of Windows 10. I was able to use my mapped drive again! Sadly, I previously reset one of my other PCs (thinking that would also fix this build issue) and learned that it only resets with the current build. On this other PC there was no previous build option because a reset clean installs. So, anyone having this issue, if you haven't done a reset, simply rollback to a previous build in system recovery. Maybe the next build will correct this, who knows?

Last edited:

dankscalibur

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I hate to resurrect a thread that is older BUT it is also key to note that if you go to cloud side only for files storage after network mapping that uploading and syncing gets a little harder. I recommend Synctoy as it will systematically compare before uploading only changed files.

Kevin House2

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
This thread and the mapping tip just saved my sanity.
I'm still incredulous that MS removed the original placeholder method which I thought was great.

But I also just saw the comment about no longer seeing the CID.
I did it today (15/02/2016) by just right-clicking in explorer on one of my already synced Onedrive folders and then using the 'View Online' option.
That gave me a URL containing the CID.
hope that helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99