Windows 9 Desktop Concept Help Thread

anon(9045786)

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello Guys, Its me again, Reddie, your Friendly Neighborhood Modern UI Futurist and I need your guys' help.
I've recently started to make a Windows Threshold Desktop Concept.

Here's what it looks like as a WIP.
14790218690_8fdd5ce9e6_b.jpg

Yes, Yes, It borrows bits and pieces of Jay Machalani's Concept, but it includes a more modified version of Windows Phone's Start Screen for the Desktop.The only differences are that it has a more horizontal landscape layout like most of the Windows Phone Landscape Start Screen Concepts, and that it has the Windows Phone 8.1 On-Screen Buttons at the Top instead of the bottom, but I'm fine with it for the meanwhile while it's still a W.I.P (Work In Progress).

I'm planning to have the Power Button replace the back button as there is no use for a back button on the desktop On-screen Buttons in this case.

My Idea for the Mini-start, in this case is have it replace desktop icons as a place to launch all your Apps and eventually use Interactive Live Icons to not only launch apps and glance at important info, but, like the MS Research Prototype, be able to do quick gadget-like actions like were promised to us when Modern UI was first announced as Metro UI 3 to 4 Years ago. You'd Potentially be able to bring up the Potential Mini-Start just like you can in current Windows, just by pressing the Start Button, but this time, the start button functions more like the Windows Phone Start Button.

The On-screen buttons, which I predict will be available for all Devices that aren't TVs, Will Look and Function Almost fully like its Current Windows Phone Counterpart, But with a Catch. On the desktop, You'll see the Power Button on the On-screen Buttons bar as its easier way to shut down your computer without having to do any extra clicks. The Hide button however will retain the same functionality as its windows Phone Counterpart. Like Windows Phone, It'll be usable to hide the On-screen Butttons Bar.

As for Multitasking, I need you guys' help. I've been having a bit of Difficulty thinking of an idea for how multitasking could work like on Windows Phone, but without extra clicks to get there or any obstruction. How do you guys think it could work and Why?

Discuss!

Last edited:

Studio384

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
" It borrows bits and pieces of Jay Machalani's Concept"

Seriously? You practicaly copied it and added a Windows Phone bar to it.

anon(9045786)

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
That's why Its called a Work In Progress, studio384. In the future I'll be using a Mini-Start design that's similar to Avik Biswas' but with added Windows Phone, Zune and Xbox One design features.

anon(9045786)

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Avik Biswas, I am currently in GIMP making all the changes to the concept that I feel are need.

In my Windows Threshold concepts, The On-Screen Buttons bar in the Concepts is going to be the same On-Screen buttons bar as Windows Phone, but merged with the status bar from Windows Phone. The Status Bar Functionality that is going to be in the desktop On Screen Buttons bar is going to be available at the right corner of the on-screen buttons bar. It is going to contain only the time and Wi-Fi Signal Strength by default. When you want to go into the desktop Action Center, all you have to do is click on the arrow right beside the Time.

As for the back button, I have replaced the back button with the Power button instead in my concept as we do not need the back button for desktop apps because they are already available inside the apps and plus, having the Power button be where the back button would otherwise be makes getting to the power button much easier. the Power Button retains its current functionality though.

Lastly, I'm almost done making my second W.I.P. Would you like to see my second W.I.P of the Mini-Start and desktop On-Screen Buttons bar? I'd be very happy to post it up here if you do!

anon(9045786)

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'll Finish making my second W.I.P soon, although it may have some changes due to an epiphany about making the desktop layout more in line with the products, so that the layout is in-between Windows Phone and Windows RT.

Once I have completed it, that's when I,'ll post it.

Don't worry Avik, there'll be a prompt before shut down in my concepts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre