Will I lose everything if I install Windows TH Preview?

MatchAttax08

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Will I lose everything if I install Windows TH Preview

Microsoft is set to reveal the newest version of Windows currently codenamed ''Threshold'' on Tuesday and I want to install the preview once it will be available to download. My question is will I lose something if I install the preview. I have Office 365 and other programs installed on my PC and if I lose them, will they work with Win 9. Also, what happens when the preview expires, I have no problem buying the next version of Windows.
In short:
1. Will I lose anything in the preview?
2. If I lose my installed software, will be able to install them and will they work with Windows 9.
3.What happens when the preview expires?

This is my primary expensive PC and I don't want to brick it

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
You can install it on a secondary partition so you don't lose data on your primary OS. I have Windows 7 on (C) and Windows Vista on (F), running both with no problems whatsoever.
EDIT: Or you can install it on a Virtual Machine program (such as Virtual Box).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

We don't know 100% yet.

But using my knowledge:

1. Probably not. Unless you're say, upgrading from Vista or 2000
2. Windows's hallmark is backwards compatibility, there's no reason for 9 to critically break normal software. Now if you have some specialized, it might pose a problem.
3. When it expires, I know 7 rebooted randomly after a certain time being on I think?
You'll be able to buy it before it expires I would think.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
re:

Normally....as in the past, If you upgrade your current OS to the dev preview, odds were high that it was unsupported to upgrade to the final. So, if you upgrade your OS, you COULD be taking a risk. It's possible that it might just work but, no one really knows for sure at this point.

There is always a hacker who finds a workaround for it but, Do you really want to mix beta code with final code for your primary OS ? I know I don't...

As Windows TH/9 is a beta at this point, I would not suggest using it as your primary OS till it's been out in the wild for a week or 2. Just after the reviews hit after a few people have been using it for a few days to a week and find out all the issues and see if any will directly effect you (for example if it had Wi-Fi problems but, your hardwired, it would not effect you)

As others suggested, I would install on another partition or a VM for base testing and if it is really good, then maybe think about a dual boot and install your programs over one by one to make sure they work...

I've been planning this for a while now...I have a nice 100gb partition just waiting for the install disc/usb drive :)

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will I lose everything if I install Windows TH Preview

Remember to have your current os for your computer saved on disc for a reinstall if you decide to go back. Ms has stated that will be needed for those wanting to revert back.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Remember to have your current os for your computer saved on disc for a reinstall if you decide to go back. Ms has stated that will be needed for those wanting to revert back.

Or, just use backup software and backup your whole system... Acronis works great for that.... love that program for the most part...

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Or, just use backup software and backup your whole system... Acronis works great for that.... love that program for the most part...
Will it allow you to reinstall the previous windows that came with the machine? Not saying it wont, just curious not familiar with the program.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Will it allow you to reinstall the previous windows that came with the machine? Not saying it wont, just curious not familiar with the program.

No, Acronis is a backup program. It will make a image of your machine. I personally use it on my servers when I do major changes, if I screw up, I do a restore and it's exactly the way it was before. I also use it on my desktop for the same thing. It also saves me when I want to rebuild my machine, after a new install, with basic drivers and apps installed, I do a backup, 6 months later I want to rebuild ? I restore and just do Windows updates (no drivers, no installing office, etc)

It's a nice program. If you do a full backup, then install Windows 9/PH over your OS, if something does not work, or you want to go back, you restore it and it brings you back to exactly where it was before. Keep in mind, all changes after you did the backup will be lost.

Personally, as I said above, I have a 100gb partition that is unassigned on my machine (not even formatted), I will be using that to install WIndows 9....Let's see how WIndows 7's boot menu works with 3 OS's loading :)

Make yourself a list of programs that you use on your computer, day to day, if you have all the original discs, then when you install Windows 9/PH to another drive, you can install those apps to see if it will work.

All in all, someone who has been beta testing and using preview versions of windows from Windows 95, I would suggest not to do a upgrade on your primary machine with a MS beta OS, as it might run flawless in some cases but, other hardware could be a NIGHTMARE. Always test on a spare partition (best, as you can tell if all your hardware works) or in VM. If all goes good, then you can THINK about moving over to your primary OS.

As many have learned from being a early adopter of Windows Vista, drivers may not be ready or older drivers might not be compatible YET. This can lead to MAJOR havoc on your machine from performance issues or even the favored blue screens of death.

MatchAttax08

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Normally....as in the past, If you upgrade your current OS to the dev preview, odds were high that it was unsupported to upgrade to the final. So, if you upgrade your OS, you COULD be taking a risk. It's possible that it might just work but, no one really knows for sure at this point.

There is always a hacker who finds a workaround for it but, Do you really want to mix beta code with final code for your primary OS ? I know I don't...

As Windows TH/9 is a beta at this point, I would not suggest using it as your primary OS till it's been out in the wild for a week or 2. Just after the reviews hit after a few people have been using it for a few days to a week and find out all the issues and see if any will directly effect you (for example if it had Wi-Fi problems but, your hardwired, it would not effect you)

As others suggested, I would install on another partition or a VM for base testing and if it is really good, then maybe think about a dual boot and install your programs over one by one to make sure they work...

I've been planning this for a while now...I have a nice 100gb partition just waiting for the install disc/usb drive :)
Thanks. After today, I decided I'm passing on the enterprise preview and wait unit the consumer preview of Windows 10. This is my primary expensive and only PC(excluding tablets) so I don't plan on installing it.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

My suggestion would be, if you have another machine available, put it there and you are totally safe. I'm going to use my wife's old laptop.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Thanks. After today, I decided I'm passing on the enterprise preview and wait unit the consumer preview of Windows 10. This is my primary expensive and only PC(excluding tablets) so I don't plan on installing it.

You could always install VMware workstation or something to the effect and run it in a VM on your desktop. You can play with it and get the feel of it with out wrecking your primary machine.

If you only have one primary machine, I would suggest that...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon