Windows 10 Impressions?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For me, Windows 8 on a laptop was a huge pain. I dreaded going into Windows and only did so to play games(dual boot from Mac). I do not want apps taking up the entire screen. That is ridiculous. I really do hope Windows 10 goes back to the Windows 7 paradigm and only allows the "modern", less functional look, if enabled.

What I hope is that in Windows 10 you can use it like Windows 7 if you want to. So if you don't care about Snap, virtual desktop or Metro you can completely avoid them.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So you mean exactly like you can ignore those aspects on Windows 8.1

The difference is that it is much easier to ignore them in W10 compared to W8.1. I think most people wouldn't have minded Windows 8 and it wouldn't have got such a bad rep if people at least had the option to do something different. People didn't like that Microsoft tried to force them to use the start screen.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
How do I get the charms bar back in Windows 10?? I can't figure out.
I always pull this thing out by accident when scrolling around with my touchpad. Still getting used to Win 10, I think.

To answer your question tho, pressing the Windows button and the letter "C" at the same time will result in the charms bar revealing itself (or hiding if pressed again).

Kizzy Catwoman

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I like it but miss snap feature. Mac OSX has been broken since Lion. Until Yosemite I have been unable to use my 2011 MacBook. It drove me back to windows. They skipped 9 because of coding incompatibility with some programmes that were coded for win 95 & 98.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I always pull this thing out by accident when scrolling around with my touchpad. Still getting used to Win 10, I think.

To answer your question tho, pressing the Windows button and the letter "C" at the same time will result in the charms bar revealing itself (or hiding if pressed again).

Can't I get it by moving the cursor to upper right corner?? That is more convenient than Windows + C. Is there anyway to set it that way?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense but there is a possibility that they did it to get people talking about the weird numbering system and hence the OS. I just hope for windows phone users that it won't be a downgrade like windows phone 7 to windows phone 8 was.

Wat.

I think you're severely concussed. You need to see a doctor.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had it running for four days now and I really am diggin' it. I think it's a nice blend of 8 and 7 and should go a long way to make non-touch users happy - which only means places like the Verge and Tech Crunch will probably eviscerate it in their reviews. If they do, you know Microsoft did it right.

chrisevans937

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't understand why Microsoft's vision wasn't like this when they did windows phone 7. That was suppose to be a complete revamp. Microsoft needs to stay on track. Think 'simplicity'. Same or very similar experience should be across all devices. For instance I should be able to pull charms in from the right on my windows phone just like windows 8.x I should be able to split screen apps to have a true multi tasking just like In windows 8.x on windows phone. A similar experience should be on Xbox one.

Side note: What ever happen to the other form factors of phone devices that was suppose to be implemented.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Don't understand why Microsoft's vision wasn't like this when they did windows phone 7. That was suppose to be a complete revamp. Microsoft needs to stay on track. Think 'simplicity'. Same or very similar experience should be across all devices. For instance I should be able to pull charms in from the right on my windows phone just like windows 8.x I should be able to split screen apps to have a true multi tasking just like In windows 8.x on windows phone. A similar experience should be on Xbox one.

Side note: What ever happen to the other form factors of phone devices that was suppose to be implemented.

Windows 10 is doing that smh
Difference is depending on device form factor the UI will be tailored and windows phone is getting split screen apps ....

windows10platform.0.0_cinema_1200.0.jpg

the windows phone and small tablet has a very similar ui here .... then the tablet has the start screen or start menu if u turn it on, the convertible changes on the fly so similar UI.

i would implore you to wait till you make comments like that this is an early build which is the shell nothing much more ... new new API's, No cortana, No notification center, No modern UI 2.0, The explorer / desktop UI is getting flatter / metro like but you can see its incomplete with new and old icons the shadow around windows is far from refined or smooth etc ... MS has alot coming and i'm glad they are doing these changes
and apparently the windows store will allow for desktop and modern apps ... hopefully video and music too would be very compelling and easy to use.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am really liking Windows 10 so far and boot time is insanely fast!
I haven't moved all my data back yet from the external hdds (I had to move my data onto a logical partition as I already had three primary partitions) as I wanted to dual boot. So once I have done that time will tell if they have managed to cure the age old problem of decaying boot times.

I have noticed they added a swap file, which is interesting
Swapfile.jpg
(if anyone is wondering, the defrag programme is called UltimateDefrag 3 by DiskTrix - Build 3.0.100.10 - I fired this up as I wanted to check where there pagefile was located, as files located nearer to the centre may have a higher seek time)

I haven't started messing around with tweaks, settings or defragged yet as I wanted to see how it felt like from a fresh install. The added bonus is that they haven't removed the setting to revert back to the start screen and the windows 8.x style app list.

However enabling this doesn't mean metro styled apps launch full screen without the title bar or not on the desktop (task bar is still visible) and snapping does not change to the portrait centric snapping in Windows 8.x. Therefore so some of the users who were keen on Windows 8.x may not like this transition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb