Windows 10 Impressions?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
/\ not new to 10, i have swapfile and pagefile in win 8

Oh I see, I ran 8 + the following updates in a virtual machine and so didn't need to tweak any of the page file settings.

Edit: Looking back, I don't think I have seen a swapfile.sys on any of the win8 machines I had encountered, otherwise I would have remembered it lol.

Last edited:

LOTSA_PAYPA

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded Windows 10 and yes its nice my only problem is that iTunes does not open so im forced to use xbox music. On xbox music I cant edit the genre, album art, artist etc. like I could and have done in iTunes. Do you guys think Microsoft will fix this in an upcoming update or do you think this is an elaborate plan to force people to stray away from apples ITunes in place with their xbox music?

LOTSA_PAYPA

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
#104 Report Post

I just downloaded Windows 10 and yes its nice my only problem is that iTunes does not open so im forced to use xbox music. On xbox music I cant edit the genre, album art, artist etc. like I could and have done in iTunes. Do you guys think Microsoft will fix this in an upcoming update or do you think this is an elaborate plan to force people to stray away from apples ITunes in place with their xbox music?

surpriserose

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I still can't use my Bluetooth after installing Windows 10. Also, avast! it's not compatible with Windows 10. Any free antivirus that is compatible?

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
i didnt even install an antivirus lol .... i don't like avg but ill try it imma see if i can get avast to work

I'm surprised Windows still needs third party virus protection. Isn't the built in Windows Defender any good? Still haven't installed the 10 preview. I really need my laptop to work so don't want to take any chances at the moment.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised Windows still needs third party virus protection. Isn't the built in Windows Defender any good? Still haven't installed the 10 preview. I really need my laptop to work so don't want to take any chances at the moment.

meh its good enough but i prefer avast... using AVG cuz that works with the preview so far ... its okay

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I had installed the Tech Preview yesterday. And guess what, it's feeling and looking the same as the Windows 8.1!
What's so new in Windows 10 that it should not be considered as an update to Windows 8.1?

The so called NEW Start Menu is just a collaboration of the old Start Menu and the Start Screen. And the Task View just looks like a mere upgrade from the Flip 3D.

When a new version of any OS is out, it is expected to overhaul it's preceder largely (in terms of UI and functionality), isn't it?
We have experienced this during the upgradation process of Windows XP --> Windows Vista --> Windows 7 --> Windows 8/8.1/10
Did you notice 8/8.1/10? I'm sure you'll understand what it means :)

My genuine expectations from Windows 10 were:-
1.) A new boot animation.
2.) Icons (completely) changed.
3.) New logon screen.
4.) Segoe UI Font slightly changed.
5.) Windows 10 branding somewhere (at least cornered) at boot.
6.) The traditional UI of the Start Screen changed a little.
7.) Change in "This PC" explorer layout, etc., etc.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I had installed the Tech Preview yesterday. And guess what, it's feeling and looking the same as the Windows 8.1!
What's so new in Windows 10 that it should not be considered as an update to Windows 8.1?

The so called NEW Start Menu is just a collaboration of the old Start Menu and the Start Screen. And the Task View just looks like a mere upgrade from the Flip 3D.

When a new version of any OS is out, it is expected to overhaul it's preceder largely (in terms of UI and functionality), isn't it?
We have experienced this during the upgradation process of Windows XP --> Windows Vista --> Windows 7 --> Windows 8/8.1/10
Did you notice 8/8.1/10? I'm sure you'll understand what it means :)

My genuine expectations from Windows 10 were:-
1.) A new boot animation.
2.) Icons (completely) changed.
3.) New logon screen.
4.) Segoe UI Font slightly changed.
5.) Windows 10 branding somewhere (at least cornered) at boot.
6.) The traditional UI of the Start Screen changed a little.
7.) Change in "This PC" explorer layout, etc., etc.

While i do agree with you those are coming
1) you will notice some new (albeit ugly icons in my opinion) are there that is the hint at a full icon set refresh / change.
2) The explorer UI has gotten much flatter i like what they did so far and it may change more to become more modern UI (flat) like ... i hope they do semitransparent title bars as there are no more chrome / bezel on the other three edges of a window.
3) Drop shadows for active and inactive windows are new.
4) I think MS is done with Boot animations just a static windows logo now .. but i think it would be cool to make the windows logo change colour as it boots. but most machines have SSD's and boot too fast for a animation any ways plus OEM's usually put their logo in place of the windows logo.
5) I agree with you 100% on the new logon screen i miss the days of Windows 7 logon screen and maybe the ability to change it ....it should tie into the start screen and start menu graphics and not just be a flat colour.
6) Start screen and start menu can change alot by final release but give MS feed back on what you want to see.

the changes are coming just wait.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
so Windows 10 is nice so hear are some things i would like to see

1) Semi-transparent title bar with bold headings that change colour to be always highly visible.
2) Better OBE out of box experience when windows has finished installing or your boot up your new computer i find the screen that greets you could be more visually appealing.
edited image here *not mine i just editied it.*
00a.png
3) Start menu - Semi-transparent option
- Start menu graphics ... like the start screen had themes
- Tiles should have free arrangement like windows phone i.e. place where i want it and it stays.
- Larger icons and text for all programs view maybe 24 x 24 instead of 16 x 16 icons.

4) Multiple desktops are not seeing its full potential as i find a new desktop should have another instance of an app open for that desktop. the implementation does not seem right to me as yet idk maybe i need to explain it better.
5) The new desktop Skype UI is fantastic and that should be installed as default on desktops where as touch devices like laptops and tablets should have both modern and desktop installed. on a touch enabled device both will install but when you launch one version it will ask if you want to use the desktop version or modern UI version then remove the one that is not needed.
6) Skype seems to be part of windows now so desktop and modern Skype should have the same feature set and similar UI.. i.e modern skype needs to stop feeling crippled and limited with too much wasted white space ...
7) i find the drop shadow on an active window is a bit excessive its only noticeable on a white background or flat colour but it could be toned down a bit idk
8) Logon screen like windows 8 is a bit bland could do with some themes or sumthing and also i miss the Windows 10 that's centered at the bottom of the logon screen.
9) an option to turn of the recent files view in explorer
10) don't have two version of the same app eg. calculator and modern calculator i say make them modern version just as functional or even more functional then the x86 version and keep the modern ones that makes it easier to update and can make windows smaller.
11) charms dots should be larger and next to minimize maximize and close buttons we already go there via muscle memory so place it there next to the usual 3 window buttons.

the other issues i have with windows 10 deal with the modern UI and app model / API's which Ms will talk about later so ill hold back my reservations for then we get those bits.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
The worst thing - - I cannot disable the Automatic Updates!!! So, unexpectedly while shutting down, it asks me not to unplug the machine as it is UPDATING!!!!

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
wow.. just installed it.. its great 10x better than w8 (for desktop use).
i was getting lost with apps/browsers(metro-notmetro) im staying on w10.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, far, very buggy, tried to open a PDF from a web page the reader program would say cant find file, so I copied the PDF to the desktop and double clicked on it, same issue...A bunch of minor issues like this. Explorer not updating when deleting a file and a few other annoying bugs.

Installed a older app, works fine in Windows 7 64 and 32 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit, in Windows 10, it opens then closes right away, even with compatibly set. No question a preview with the collections of bugs.

I like the start menu, like the look and feel of it in general, seems to boot fairly quick, handles domain GP fine, once the bugs are cleaned up, I think when it's final and stable, no question I will replace Windows 7 with it (use Windows 7 95% of the time).

I was going to rebuild my desktop for a cleanup but, I will just wait till 10 is final....6 more months unless I have a major problem with my 7 desktop...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb