10-11-2014 10:32 AM
244 1234 ...
tools
    Actually its opposite, RT is gonna replace WP
    No it's not. For one, the presentation they showed today clearly showed a scaled up WP OS and two it makes no sense to scale down because scaling up takes a lot less effort for the same results. I'd suggest you fact check.
    09-30-2014 08:14 PM
    Windows 10 is replacing everything. Isn't it just simpler to think of it that way?
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-30-2014 08:22 PM
    Not really of you been reading the new MS has came up with a way to fix problems and add or remove features on the fly in a week not a month this is probably the last windows from now on it will just keep getting tweaks and features and if there are bugs or a feature that needs it can be fixed in like a week and with there new back end they can see any problems in almost real time so say IE is messing up MS will see it and within days as soon as the code is ready for the fix it will be delivered to the effective product so this ain't like previous windows they still got alot to show us at build and it will constantly evolve from there and now MS can better give there user what they want and fix what they dont like not just untill it is released but for the entire lifetime of the product witch is now forever
    Not sure if you were responding to me, but I actually agree with what you are saying. This could be considered the "last" Windows ;) Updates will come on a regular basis including features, defect fixes and security updates. Just like Office 365 today. They haven't exactly stated this as far as I can see but I think it's between the lines.
    09-30-2014 08:25 PM
    how does that look anything like WP to you? that looks way more like RT, and tell me then, why would they abandon RT (runs on arm) and keep WP8 (runs on arm) when RT is much more feature complete?

If they are abandoning winrt, then tell me how a winrt technical preview is set for 2015? oh and jsut because it has a vertical option, doesnt mean it cant go horizontal too.
    David_da_Silva likes this.
    09-30-2014 08:25 PM
    how does that look anything like WP to you? that looks way more like RT, and tell me then, why would they abandon RT (runs on arm) and keep WP8 (runs on arm) when RT is much more feature complete?

If they are abandoning winrt, then tell me how a winrt technical preview is set for 2015? oh and jsut because it has a vertical option, doesnt mean it cant go horizontal too.
    1) how does that not look like a scaled up WP? It looks nothing like RT.
    2) because, as I said before, it is much easier and much more obvious to scale up an OS with more features than it is to scale down Windows RT for phones. Any knowledge of programming would tell you that.
    3) No, the technical preview is NOT for RT, it is for Windows on ARM, which includes phones and tablets.

I don't even understand your last point.
    09-30-2014 08:32 PM
    Seriously guy this is a effin preview and you do not know what all of the settings will be. I don't like it either but ill make my final judgment when thru release the final product.
    Jazmac likes this.
    09-30-2014 08:35 PM

For starters, major design decisions CAN change in little time, in fact, visuals are literally the LAST thing they do before going into feature freeze, also, there are many different branches of development for windows, and one of those branches are UX, which is what handles the design of things, and guess what doesn't merge with the winmain branch until feature freeze? the ux branch.

Also, WTF you talking about feature freeze? There is sooooo much time before feature freeze happens, this is a TECHNICAL preview, this is probably about alpha state, if that, I dont know where you pulling this "knowledge" from but its incredibly inaccurate, i gurantee you, by the time this is released it will look incredibly different!

Oh, and quit whining about **** you don't understand, makes you look like an *****.
    I guess you're a developer. With design I refer to the whole interaction model of the product, not only the colors and the icons. The already took design decision that can't be changed. Many of the touch interactions that were introduced in Windows 8 are gone and the OS is mouse and keyboard centric even for hybrids and x86 tablets.

They have to release a public beta at build, and after that they have 4-5 months to RTM and release the first OEMs products. To release the public beta at build they have to be feature complete 1 or 2 months before that to run an internal beta, that's February-March.
    So, they only have between October and February to gather feedback and introduce minor changes.

It took them a couple of year to add tiles to Windows 7 and decide the name "Windows 10", you shouldn't expect big changes in the next 5-6 months, they can't take big risks so late.
    09-30-2014 08:43 PM
    With Windows 8 they ... privileged the touch interactions.
    I absolutely hate reading ill-informed comments like this. Windows 8/8.1 works equally well with keyboard and mouse as it does with touch. Microsoft just failed to tell people of that, and too many people didn't take the time to find out.
    09-30-2014 08:43 PM
    1) how does that not look like a scaled up WP? It looks nothing like RT.
    2) because, as I said before, it is much easier and much more obvious to scale up an OS with more features than it is to scale down Windows RT for phones. Any knowledge of programming would tell you that.
    3) No, the technical preview is NOT for RT, it is for Windows on ARM, which includes phones and tablets.

I don't even understand your last point.
    its as if no one reads wpc articles anymore, even wpc thinks rt could replace wp

Here is everything we know about Windows 9 'Threshold' so far | Windows Phone Central
    09-30-2014 08:44 PM
    Getting my License for Windows 10. For all three computers at home.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-30-2014 09:02 PM
    Am I the only one laughing when people here act as though a preview based on the enterprise should have had Metro 2.0 and touch?

Those are just two things enterprise never used much of, but apparently they should have shown it off anyway.
    ronaldme likes this.
    09-30-2014 09:07 PM
    Um, we've known for months that WP is going to replace RT for tablets. I don't see how you didn't see it coming.

And yes, we've got literally almost a year before the official release. They can make some medium-sized changes in that time, so if there's some things that you don't like in Continuum, you can leave your feedback.
    I heard about that, but I thought Microsoft would adapt the OS for bigger screens and add some of the Windows 8 features to provide a consistent UI for ARM and x86 touch devices.

I'll wait until the preview of the ARM OS to get a more complete picture, but from what they showed today, I don't believe Windows 10 will be enough to revert the 2% of market share in tablets and phones. Windows Phone for 8-inch devices and lower, and 'Windows 7 with live tiles' for x86 tablets and convertibles. I was expecting more from MS.
    09-30-2014 09:08 PM
    its as if no one reads wpc articles anymore, even wpc thinks rt could replace wp

Here is everything we know about Windows 9 'Threshold' so far | Windows Phone Central
    1) that is baseless speculation that John made up on his own, citing no source.
    2) I got my info from Mary Jo Foley who, no offense to John, I trust to be more accurate than John.

http://www.zdnet.com/what-comes-next...-1-7000022034/

Here's the important quote

"Because it tends to be easier to take a "smaller" OS and add to it than to take a larger one and remove features from it, it's likely that the Windows Phone OS is the one on top of which the new operating systems group will build. The recent rumor (courtesy of Windows SuperSite's Paul Thurrott) about the Windows Phone OS being modified to support 7 to 10-inch screen sizes makes sense in this context."

There, are you done now?
    09-30-2014 09:27 PM
    I heard about that, but I thought Microsoft would adapt the OS for bigger screens and add some of the Windows 8 features to provide a consistent UI for ARM and x86 touch devices.

I'll wait until the preview of the ARM OS to get a more complete picture, but from what they showed today, I don't believe Windows 10 will be enough to revert the 2% of market share in tablets and phones. Windows Phone for 8-inch devices and lower, and 'Windows 7 with live tiles' for x86 tablets and convertibles. I was expecting more from MS.
    Again, I think you're overreacting to this. You haven't even used Windows 10, let alone even seen it in use outside of a 30 minute brief walkthrough. This is a very early release. Based on your reactions on this, I really think you shouldn't download it. It sounds like you're not understanding what this release is and are expecting the wrong thing and you're going to be disappointed.
    squire777 and Loc Ngo like this.
    09-30-2014 09:34 PM
    They'll show the ARM version in early 2015, here a glimpse:

First tablet running Windows Phone pictured

Just a scaled up WP.
    EXACTLY...it's for tablets (non x86 one)
    The iPad is a scaled up iOS, it makes sense for us to do that too.
    09-30-2014 09:49 PM
    Also, WTF you talking about feature freeze? There is sooooo much time before feature freeze happens, this is a TECHNICAL preview, this is probably about alpha state, if that, I dont know where you pulling this "knowledge" from but its incredibly inaccurate, i gurantee you, by the time this is released it will look incredibly different!

Oh, and quit whining about **** you don't understand, makes you look like an *****.
    You seem to know quite a bit about Windows internal development (why else would you spew crap on fellow posters on this forum if you didn't know firsthand what was coming up). Do you work in the Windows group at MSFT?
    09-30-2014 09:49 PM
    Do I close the thread, do I not close the thread... hmmmmm... alright, heads I do, tails I don't.... Huh, the Eagle. I guess we will let users vent on here a little longer.

I am a tad worried about the tone of this thread, as well as the desire to bury a OS that is 8 months or so from release. But, I see the need to have a thread for those who were disappointed with the preview. so, all I ask is that direct your disagreements to the OS (I don't like it from what I have seen because....) and not each other (please, no "How wrong can you possibly be?" "You are ignorant on the facts" "What are ya, STUPID??" Okay, that last one is courtesy of "A League of their own" and Tom Hanks, but it fit).

Let's debate our opinions and predictions on maybe the most important OS upgrade to Windows since XP. Not attack our fellow WP Central users.

By the way- I like the direction. Willing to admit it needs more then what was shown, but I like it.
    09-30-2014 09:58 PM
    I assume that you will be able to hide the task bar like you can in windows 8, well every windows release since 95.
    09-30-2014 10:28 PM
    I think they should do something like it would be a special button in the start menu. When you click on it or you touch the screen on it, the start menu will expand to cover the whole screen and become the start screen. Also, on the start screen there should be that special button so that you can quickly reverse to the desktop mode when you touch it (the start screen contracts back to the start menu). I suppose it will give the user much more versatility. I do like the Conitnuum feature, just add my suggestion along with it with some necessary tweaks. Just my 2-cent about the topic.
    09-30-2014 11:04 PM
    I think hybrids and tablets are alive
    09-30-2014 11:12 PM
    It's not finished yet. Why is it on wpcentral people like to enter panic mode months before a product is released.....
    The problem is that Microsoft released a video of it. Why?
    Either it doesn't work when you get to the start menu abomination thing, our it simply hasn't been explained.
    Windows 8 taught is that people are very passionate about this kind of thing, and that negative perception can spiral quickly. This needs to be addressed quickly.
    09-30-2014 11:27 PM
    They had to in order to keep their primary market, enterprise. I'm skeptical cause I have a SP3. But after watching the video and checking out some opinions of those in tech world I'm coming on board. One thing is Certain. The public thinks windows 8 was garbage. Any positive press for this release is good news for Microsoft and all of us who want Microsoft to succeed. I think we'll be ok.
    10-01-2014 12:06 AM
    I think it looks good. I'm a little concerned with how well it will work myself. But I'm going to wait and try it before I make judgment. Either way ill learn to use it.
    That's for sure cause I'm not going back to Apple. Think of it this way too. At least Microsoft is changing. They're listening to the negative feedback they got from windows 8. I'm excited to be with company that actually wants to change.
    10-01-2014 12:12 AM
    Why do people feel compelled to created these threads about products they know very little about?
    HeyCori likes this.
    10-01-2014 12:19 AM
    I am super impressed with the design of windows 10 for future desktops and I will definitely be using this preview. I watched the entire video and Joe Belfiore said that the "continuum" UI is not final, so we can expect to see changes there. This windows insider program is awesome, and I love what they are doing.
    10-01-2014 12:29 AM
244 1234 ...