The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-11-2014 10:32 AM
244 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I agree with desktop widgets but i don't like them but having the option for it would be cool.
    I never liked widgets on desk. They are resource hogs. I just need to keep up with timezones and stuff going on so i need calendar too. But it's not like i go mad if they don't do it. I am fairly happy with what i see at the moment.
    10-03-2014 10:08 AM
    OP - you're making *FAR* too many assumptions. You don't know exactly what the OS will be like on all the different devices for the official release, and you seem to forget that there's still almost a year before it gets officially released. The Technical Preview is here precisely for feedback.

We hardly know anything about Windows Phone 10 at this point - yet you seem to assume that those smaller tablets will have a slight variation of the Windows Phone 8 UI.

Stop assuming, give your feedback for the Technical Preview, and wait and see what actually comes out of it. This thread is a waste of everyone's time (and is pretty well click-bait with that title).
    10-03-2014 10:27 AM
    I work on multiple windows (localization software one or more than one, dictionaries, other translating apps and websites + post it notes on desktops and a variety of widgets which i place at will around the desktop. Modern UI for me is utterly useless with my needs. I suspect others have similar issues with Modern UI. The new W10 supports multiple desktops too. This means i can have one desktop cluttered with all what i need for work and then another desktop for spare time or entertainment. Modern UI doesn't allow for the same flexibility.

Put simply, it's a gorgeous interface for tablets and even for a mobile if they do it. WP should have it out of the box, including all those interface customizations. It would considerably improve the WP platform. But on a desktop it's limited, very limited.
    Multiple desktop has been available in Windows before through power packs, Microsoft never added the feature to the mainstream product because It's too niche, It doesn't add much value. I guess they added it now to have something to show.

Most people use one or two apps on the screen at the same time, humans can't handle too much information. It's easier to have the less important apps in the background and switch to them when they're needed. Having a whole mess in a screen with restricted space is generally an inferior design.

The OS should be optimized for the most common scenario. Multiple apps in the same screen is a corner case that should be provided through a better snap functionality.

Microsoft didn't push Windows 8 to desktop users without a reason, without studying the usage patterns, there are a lot of good ideas in the OS. A improved Modern UI could be a great OS for mouse and keyboard.
    10-03-2014 10:57 AM
    Windows Technical Preview is Microsoft's Alchemy Moment http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...alchemy-moment
    10-03-2014 11:33 AM
    Windows Technical Preview is Microsoft's Alchemy Moment http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...alchemy-moment

I read that.
    One of the many the problems of the Windows platform is the low quality of the analyst and reporters. The best guys are following Apple and Google. Microsoft has Thurrott, Foley, Warren and others that aren't that good, beyond copying press releases.
    For example, Thurrott always criticize what he call "the frankestain OS", but did he ever analyzed the Modern interface in his own merit, the ideas behind Windows 8 as an OS for laptop and desktop PCs?

Wrapping the Modern apps in windows won't solve the usability problems in the store apps for desktop users. It just perpetuate the old paradigms of windowed apps that Windows 8 attempted to change.
    10-03-2014 12:07 PM
    A lot of XP machines only had 256 or 512 RAM. Video was usually 64MB of shared memory too. Without updating, they can't run 7.
    totally forgot about ram,i have a pentium 4 with 1gb ram and 96mb shared video memory which handles windows 7 easily
    i think the lowest for windows 7 without trouble is 512mb,video memory shouldnt be an issue imho because you can enable windows classic and use
    10-03-2014 12:20 PM
    My grandmother's old PC with Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz HT and 512mb ram runs Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit flawlessly. Windows 7 also worked fine but the aero graphics made it stutter a little. Windows 8.1 is absolutely smooth. It only has a Intel GMA945G 128mb internal graphics. :)
    Last edited by S Vaibhav; 10-04-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-03-2014 12:30 PM
    My grandmother's old PC with Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz HT and 512mb team runs Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit flawlessly. Windows 7 also worked fine but the aero graphics made it stutter a little. Windows 8.1 is absolutely smooth. It only has a Intel GMA945G 128mb internal graphics. :)
    I have a Core i5 337U, with 1GB of video memory of a Nvidia 740M, 4GB of RAM and apart from boot up time, Windows 8 is significantly slower than Windows 7.

I am waiting for Windows 10 to improve performance.

But it's a miracle that Windows 8 runs smoothly on your grandmother's PC, because it works rather terribly on my much more powerful laptop.
    10-03-2014 12:42 PM
    I read that.
    One of the many the problems of the Windows platform is the low quality of the analyst and reporters. The best guys are following Apple and Google. Microsoft has Thurrott, Foley, Warren and others that aren't that good, beyond copying press releases.
    For example, Thurrott always criticize what he call "the frankestain OS", but did he ever analyzed the Modern interface in his own merit, the ideas behind Windows 8 as an OS for laptop and desktop PCs?

Wrapping the Modern apps in windows won't solve the usability problems in the store apps for desktop users. It just perpetuate the old paradigms of windowed apps that Windows 8 attempted to change.
    Every review I've read of Windows8/8.1 slammed it for identity crisis. That includes guys that follows Apple and Google as well. Critics didn't like it. Masses didn't like it. It was admirable that Microsoft brought a new innovative design but this is also a fact that it didn't garner masses attraction which accounted for lack of developer support. You don't change something drastically. Change is always gradual. There is a reason Apple changed iPhone sizes gradually from 3.7" to 4" to 4.7" and 5.5". You may have been innovative enough to have realized the potential of modern UI but most people haven't. So now, Microsoft are taking the gradual route. I'm sure once we have enough users and developers support, it will be easy for MS to shift to Modern UI. Secondly, winRT framework on which Modern UI is based is still in its early years. It will take time to mature. With user feedback, I'm sure MS will be able to improve Modern UI with consequent updates.

The reason for sharing that article was to remind you that this was the Desktop focused Technical Preview and Modern UI focused Consumer Preview will be released later.

Why don't you use the feedback app to provide feedback to MS regarding Modern UI for hybrids.
    10-03-2014 12:47 PM
    Not everyone cares, about tablets & such. When we do it's because we "have" too..
    Let me explain.
    Some of us in the computer = tool space really do in fact need a good working desktop.
    See, things like CAD, CAM, CAE, etc (google as required....)
    REQUIRE a "real desktop".
    You can't freeking "touch operate" these programs. Someday possibly, not anytime soon.

I know what you are thinking, WTF does any of this C?? crap matter anyway...
    Well if you want a new device of ANY TYPE, someone has to make the bloody thing...
    Welcome to needing a desktop...

This may be a selfish statement given my profession, but until such time as someone can code Creo, UGNX, or possibly Catia as an app (LMAO...) there is no universe were the non-desktop can exist WITHOUT the desktop stuff. (ID guys not withstanding)

I say that because after reading everything in this thread, I am left thinking some folks feel the PC isn't really "required".
    Well, not everyone gets by with "office apps" to get the job done. This "modern UI" is woefully unacceptable in theory or practice for the space I live in. Folks like myself, make the stuff. You want new stuff, nobody coding for the "app store" is going to provide a solution. We need desktops (with reall aXX kicking power) and we need a UI that is not some phone based nonsense....

PC's (with desktops) make things today... ALL THINGS....

Sorry for the long post, trying to provide some perspective.
    Cleavitt76 and Brandon Tobias like this.
    10-03-2014 02:37 PM
    Not everyone cares, about tablets & such. When we do it's because we "have" too..
    Let me explain.
    Some of us in the computer = tool space really do in fact need a good working desktop.
    You can't freeking "touch operate" these programs. Someday possibly, not anytime soon.

Well if you want a new device of ANY TYPE, someone has to make the bloody thing...

This may be a selfish statement given my profession, but until such time as someone can code Creo, UGNX, or possibly Catia as an app (LMAO...) there is no universe were the non-desktop can exist WITHOUT the desktop stuff. (ID guys not withstanding)

I say that because after reading everything in this thread, I am left thinking some folks feel the PC isn't really "required".
    Well, not everyone gets by with "office apps" to get the job done. This "modern UI" is woefully unacceptable in theory or practice for the space I live in. Folks like myself, make the stuff. You want new stuff, nobody coding for the "app store" is going to provide a solution. We need desktops (with reall aXX kicking power) and we need a UI that is not some phone based nonsense....

You won't be getting any argument from me. I've been b******g about the severe lack of decent Autodesk apps for WP for sometime. Yes, iOS and Android have mobile versions but they are barely more than viewers. I've had no luck editing X-Refs on either. I can't carry a laptop, or much less a desktop, out on my jobsites so I'm finding a happy medium with an Asus Note 8 tablet with Wacom support and full 8.1. It's not the best solution but it helps in a pinch. Without the precise nature of Wacom styli, it's impossible to do ANY editing so unless 10 brings pen support to mobile, fuhgedaboutit.
    10-03-2014 03:04 PM
    Let me explain.

I completely agree with your rant. I like the Modern app capabilities in Windows 8.x, but certainly not as a replacement for desktop programs. Modern apps work well to compliment the desktop programs. Each type of program is intended for a different workflow. One app type is intended for simple touch apps which are limited by the low precision of human finger tips on a small screen. The other is intended for complex and data intensive programs that require the precision of a mouse/keyboard. Anyone that thinks that Modern UI (as it is currently) is going to replace desktop optimized programs is missing the point and has probably never done any real work on a computer.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-03-2014 09:02 PM
    In 2015 Microsoft will add new APIs to the Modern UI for the development of apps optimized for keyboard and mouse. So, in future most of the apps, including productivity apps, will be Modern apps distributed through the store.

One thing is the shell, other thing are the apps. Apps optimized for touch can run in the awful windowed shell of Windows 7. Apps optimized for keyboard and mouse could run in the beautiful Modern UI shell without any chrome.
    10-03-2014 09:58 PM
    I read that.

How does forcing full-screen tablet app experience help desktop users? Why this dogmatic attempt to force the tablet paradigm on a friggen desktop PC?
    10-03-2014 10:05 PM
    Calm down, people! The new paradigm is completely optional as of the moment, and you can switch between the two as you wish.
    This is exactly what Windows 8 had to do.

Continuum is less than perfect, though. That'll have to act as a bridge between the two modes.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-03-2014 10:53 PM
    In 2015 Microsoft will add new APIs to the Modern UI for the development of apps optimized for keyboard and mouse. So, in future most of the apps, including productivity apps, will be Modern apps distributed through the store.

One thing is the shell, other thing are the apps. Apps optimized for touch can run in the awful windowed shell of Windows 7. Apps optimized for keyboard and mouse could run in the beautiful Modern UI shell without any chrome.
    Well at some point we are just splitting hairs, but when I mentioned Modern UI apps I made a point to say "as it is currently."

MS is already bringing flat design to desktop apps (Visual Studio 2013, Office 2013, etc.). If that UI look along with being sold in the Windows Store is what you are calling "Modern UI" then I tend to agree with you.

However, when I was saying "Modern UI development won't be replacing desktop development", what I really mean is WinRT won't be replacing desktop program development any time soon. I feel that way because WinRT is really just a limited (by design) subset off the existing frameworks and APIs used in desktop development. It's based on things like .Net, XAML, DirectX etc. just like desktop runtimes, but it's more locked down and with a subset of features in order to keep it light and more secure. If MS adds all of the desktop level functionality back in to WinRT they will have recreated/duplicated their existing desktop development frameworks and they will no longer have a runtime appropriate for low power devices. WinRT might be new, but the technology isn't any more advanced than the current MS desktop frameworks. They share the same core frameworks. There is no reason for one to replace the other. I'm sure they will continue to share new features (as appropriate) and design elements as time goes on. It's really not much different than "Windows 10" which is actually a family of OSes optimized for different requirements.

How does forcing full-screen tablet app experience help desktop users? Why this dogmatic attempt to force the tablet paradigm on a friggen desktop PC?
    The "full screen tablet app experience" has been optional in Windows 8 from day one (with the exception of the Start Screen). The traditional desktop apps that come with Windows 7 are still present in Windows 8 along with any third party desktop apps you want to install. Windows Media Player, desktop IE, desktop Skype, desktop photo viewer, etc. are all still there. The full screen touch apps have been added so that Windows 8 can also be used on touch devices. They do not take anything away from the desktop.

If MS had removed all the desktop programs and replaced them with the touch apps then your description of "forcing tablet apps on desktop users" would make sense. However, that really isn't the case is it? You don't have to use them if they don't fit the workflow of your device.

The Modern UI functionality was obviously added so that Windows could be used on a wide range of devices and not limited to only laptops and desktops. It also allows for hybrid devices which would not be possible if MS split the functionality into separate OSes (like Apple's iOS/OSX). For some reason a lot of people do mental gymnastics to characterize additional and optional functionality as a "limitation" even though the original options are still there.

The only exception is the Start Screen, but that is an element that is shared by both touch and keyboard/mouse users so it is bound to have some compromises.
    10-03-2014 11:22 PM
    Rodan, Modern apps are not "wrapped" into Windows. There is an article by Daniel Rubino in this same website (Which i have linked to before) which explains how to get back the "OLD 8.1" behaviour with both interfaces. So unless i am misunderstanding you, you are complaining about something that the OS already has. Microsoft (for what i humbly see and without any pretense to be a genius of course) does not have removed modern UI. It has made it SELECTABLE. Do you want OLD 8.1 style? good you can have it (Through navigation settings menu options). Do you want the new cleaner old style Win7 desktop? You can have it, too.
    Joe Belfiore explained also that in real life (consumer wise) despite the UI still being selectable, the OS will determine automatically whether the device has a keyboard or not. If it has a keyboard...it'll boot with Desktop UI, if a keyboard is not detected, it'll boot in Modern UI mode. Even so (It is my understanding) you can change it.
    My personal take: i'd base the boot mode also on display size with devices with keyboard up to 11" booting in Modern UI mode, especially with very high resolution displays. I have used a couple of Lenovo yoga pro 2 and the fonts are so small that you get blind and any setting you change makes it blurred. Apart from that (which is a Windows issue that Apple products don't have due to a smarter scaling strategy), i'd keep the modern UI on those devices (and on WP too for that matters) because they are easy to use in that way.
    10-04-2014 12:01 AM
    Every review I've read of Windows8/8.1 slammed it for identity crisis. That includes guys that follows Apple and Google as well. Critics didn't like it. Masses didn't like it. It was admirable that Microsoft brought a new innovative design but this is also a fact that it didn't garner masses attraction which accounted for lack of developer support. You don't change something drastically. Change is always gradual. There is a reason Apple changed iPhone sizes gradually from 3.7" to 4" to 4.7" and 5.5". You may have been innovative enough to have realized the potential of modern UI but most people haven't. So now, Microsoft are taking the gradual route. I'm sure once we have enough users and developers support, it will be easy for MS to shift to Modern UI. Secondly, winRT framework on which Modern UI is based is still in its early years. It will take time to mature. With user feedback, I'm sure MS will be able to improve Modern UI with consequent updates.

The reason for sharing that article was to remind you that this was the Desktop focused Technical Preview and Modern UI focused Consumer Preview will be released later.

Why don't you use the feedback app to provide feedback to MS regarding Modern UI for hybrids.
    I agree with you. I found myself at ease since day one (but translating UIs is one of the things i do for a living since 2000). What i couldn't rationally explain and found causing me too many clicks (and time) was that everything was doubled. So somewhat you got lost. You had this gorgeous, innovative UI whose looks had me amazed and i swear i spent days playing with that just for fun, and then the discovery that the new environment wasn't done for power users (no multiple windows etc.). It appeared immediately as a competitor of Android for mobile devices transplanted on a desktop machine with a huge display. I found the trick to get the desktop back and i enjoyed the other things (stability, speed etc.). Nobody EVER mentioned that the new OS was incredibly stable. I never had one crash or a BSOD since then. Nobody mentioned how fast it boots and becomes operative. As if things don't exist. Windows 8, and now 10 are all what WP should be. A flexible platform for productivity.
    10-04-2014 12:10 AM
    I have a Core i5 337U, with 1GB of video memory of a Nvidia 740M, 4GB of RAM and apart from boot up time, Windows 8 is significantly slower than Windows 7.

But it's a miracle that Windows 8 runs smoothly on your grandmother's PC, because it works rather terribly on my much more powerful laptop.
    Please explain how it is slower?I have a Pentium Dual core 3.0 Ghz,4GB DDR2 ram, NVIDIA GT520 2GB DDR3 graphics card, and Windows 8.1 performance is vastly superior to 7 due to the absence of aero, shadows, and also 7 takes up much more ram than 8.1. 8.1 also has DirectX 11.2. This performance difference is visible in many games, which run faster and have a higher fps on 8.1 than 7. Example-AC3,MW3,etc.
    And by the way, 99% of people reading this forum and using Windows 8 would like to disagree with you. It's been proved many times over that you like to bash during Microsoft. And praise Google sky high.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-04-2014 12:18 AM
    Please explain how it is slower?I have a Pentium Dual core 3.0 Ghz,4GB DDR2 ram, NVIDIA GT520 2GB DDR3 graphics card, and Windows 8.1 performance is vastly superior to 7 due to the absence of aero, shadows, and also 7 takes up much more ram than 8.1. 8.1 also has DirectX 11.2. This performance difference is visible in many games, which run faster and have a higher fps on 8.1 than 7. Example-AC3,MW3,etc.
    And by the way, 99% of people reading this forum and using Windows 8 would like to disagree with you. It's been proved many times over that you like to bash during Microsoft. And praise Google sky high.
    Google was never mentioned here, I'm still waiting on Microsoft to fix the issues I have with Windows, not Google.

The problem with speed that I have is primarily with all Windows 8 applications and the UI in general. Most of my apps run just as well, primarily heavy gaming titles like FarCry 3 or Batman Arkham City but the UI is so god damn slow, even the Skype app takes ages to refresh, and many other Metro apps.
    10-04-2014 03:02 AM

FYI most laptops these days come with your config
    this i dont believe because my pentium 4 (prescott) 3.2ghz HT with 1gb ram and a Nvidia 8600GT ran perfectly with 8,till my nvidia gpu fried and i downgraded to 7
    windows 8 is significantly faster and uses less ram than 7

Comparing Memory Usage In Windows 8 Vs Windows 7 | Support For Google Chrome

Is Windows 8.1 lighter on the system resource than Windows 7? : windows
    10-04-2014 07:07 AM
    ironically people complained that windows 8 was doing just that when it released,now people are saying just the opposite
    im getting a feeling people just want to find faults even when they got it right
    10-04-2014 07:08 AM
    Google was never mentioned here, I'm still waiting on Microsoft to fix the issues I have with Windows, not Google.

The problem with speed that I have is primarily with all Windows 8 applications and the UI in general. Most of my apps run just as well, primarily heavy gaming titles like FarCry 3 or Batman Arkham City but the UI is so god damn slow, even the Skype app takes ages to refresh, and many other Metro apps.
    lol werent you the one saying chrome os + android will beat windows + windows phone in the merging race in that other thread?!! :D
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-04-2014 07:10 AM
    ironically people complained that windows 8 was doing just that when it released,now people are saying just the opposite
    im getting a feeling people just want to find faults even when they got it right
    Na, I think Microsoft knew Windows 8 would fail because people don't like a lot of change, which is why people complained a lot. Now they've heard all the complaints, and want more to make sure Windows 10 will be a good, viable OS for everybody.

Yeah, people find a reason to complain, take XP, people wanted it to be more secure, which brought Vista, but it was too secure, which brought 7.

Now you have 8 which brought a drastically new idea, so next you'll have 10 which has all the scared people appraising it (and confused about the name).

Glad Microsoft has that kind of money, or there'd be another world of hurt, heh.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-04-2014 07:14 AM
    FYI most laptops these days come with your config
    this i dont believe because my pentium 4 (prescott) 3.2ghz HT with 1gb ram and a Nvidia 8600GT ran perfectly with 8,till my nvidia gpu fried and i downgraded to 7
    windows 8 is significantly faster and uses less ram than 7

Comparing Memory Usage In Windows 8 Vs Windows 7 | Support For Google Chrome

Is Windows 8.1 lighter on the system resource than Windows 7? : windows
    Lol, most laptops don't come with the configuration I have, I have decent mid-range specifications and my laptop cost nearly $1000, plus I can always expand the RAM beyond 4 GB.

Again, my apps run the same with maybe a few performance bumps that are barely noticeable, but as far as the whole "Metro" apps go, they are quite slow, plus the Windows Store takes ages to load so I generally stay from it, and I can often see stuttering when moving between my live tiles. I am willing to make a whole video on this.

lol werent you the one saying chrome os + android will beat windows + windows phone in the merging race in that other thread?!! :D
    No, I believe I didn't say that. While I do prefer Android over Windows Phone(not saying that Windows Phone is bad), I've never been an avid supporter of Chrome OS. So you've got the wrong guy here.
    10-04-2014 07:31 AM
244 ... 45678 ...