Windows 10 a disapointment, hybrids and tablets are dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think Windows 10 will be a really good OS for laptops and desktop PCs, but to achieve this MS sacrificed the hybrids and tablets. With Windows 8 they couldn't solve the duality of a convertible device and they privileged the touch interactions. With Windows 10 they couldn't solve it either but now they privileged mouse and keyboard interactions. It seems MS forgot that PCs are just 14% of the devices sold and falling.

The "Continuum" concept they showed for hybrids like the Surface Pro 3 is ridiculous. The apps run in full screen except for the taskbar that is always visible, so the user has to use those little tiny icons to switch between apps. A back button is added to the taskbar, good luck reaching that small button, and since when Store Apps need a back button? Hybrids are just an afterthought in Windows 10, on the contrary hybrids were the most important form factor for Windows 8.

And the most worrying thing is the small tablet that they showed in the picture of all the Windows devices. It's just Windows Phone scaled up, with the same three columns of tiles and the three buttons at the bottom. So, Microsoft just killed all the UI interactions that they introduced for tablets with Windows 8: app switching at the left, charms, closing apps swiping down, back button in the apps. It seems tablets will just run a scaled up WP OS.

From what they showed I think Microsoft is just trying to secure the desktop market for a few more years until more apps come to Chromebooks. The few details about Windows 10 for touch devices are disappointing. I had high expectations for Windows vnext, but what they showed is mediocre, they couldn't came up with a solution for the duality problem and they decided to secure their position in the PC market.

I guess Surface Pro 4 won't be called a tablet, that "Continuum" abomination is not a touch interface.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's not finished yet. Why is it on wpcentral people like to enter panic mode months before a product is released.....

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not finished yet. Why is it on wpcentral people like to enter panic mode months before a product is released.....
This is what happened with Windows 8, and it makes sense for people to panic a bit, but Sinofsky isn't up there anymore.

They're listening to user feedback, most likely.

Ben Sailors

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I can't help but read your post without recoiling.

It's a knee jerk reaction at best. I seriously doubt that tablets won't be able to have a horizontal scrolling option and must be used as Windows Phone's OS. That said, we don't know how W10 will even look on phones yet. I wouldn't take stock photos to be an accurate representation of what's going to happen.

For all the rambling by the OP, this strong of a reaction just isn't warranted, even if it was going live today.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it looks good. I'm a little concerned with how well it will work myself. But I'm going to wait and try it before I make judgment. Either way ill learn to use it.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

In a few months they have to freeze the development and stabilize the code for release. There is no time for major changes, expect only small tweaks. The final version will be similar to this preview.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
In a few months they have to freeze the development and stabilize the code for release. There is no time for major changes, expect only small tweaks. The final version will be similar to this preview.

They are going to be talking about it right up to build in April, and there is still plenty that hasn't been revealed. If you think this is the final build by all means start tearing your hair out but for me now is not the time for doom and gloom.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This was the first preview of the next version of Windows and it was geared specifically to enterprise users, you know, people who use windows on desktops with mice and keyboards.

Down the road, closer to release, Microsoft will introduce Windows 10 to developers and then to consumers. Then, they will show off the tablet-centric touch UI.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
They nailed windows 10.
Windows 10 for phones/tablets however, will be revealed in january/february at the earliest if rumors are correct. And why do you think Belfiore emphasized on feedback? Perform a duty to your favorite platform(if?) and cheer up a little.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Hell, it's almost a year at this point.

@OP if you don't like it, you can leave them feedback in the preview (which you haven't even tried out yet).

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

It's kinda phenomenon for people to cry/whine/complain about Windows.

To OP, Joe B didn't even test the Continuum on a computer. he just showed the very early bits in a prerecorded demo. If you will wrap up all of the reports about Win10, you will notice that MS did NOT kill the touch, you will have the same UI/UX on the touch (except few additions). MS did improve the mouse/keyboard interaction.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Lo. This forum has so many doom and gloom members. Its the end of the world aaahgggh. They must be discontinuing WP! No more tablets! They decided to stop making software and design clothes instead. Ahhhg! Lol....Take a valium and breath it'll all be okay.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Lo. This forum has so many doom and gloom members. Its the end of the world aaahgggh. They must be discontinuing WP! No more tablets! They decided to stop making software and design clothes instead. Ahhhg! Lol....Take a valium and breath it'll all be okay.

Cortana on iOS/Android.
MS buy Nokia.
630/635/730/830/930/whatever_phone_will_MS_make is a fail.
Life is a pain.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
They nailed windows 10.
Windows 10 for phones/tablets however, will be revealed in january/february at the earliest if rumors are correct. And why do you think Belfiore emphasized on feedback? Perform a duty to your favorite platform(if?) and cheer up a little.

The preview showed today is the OS for: PCs, hybrids like the Surface Pro and the Asus T100, and big tablets that offer compatibility with x86 apps like the Toshiba encore 2 (10-inch) and the Hp Omni 10.

Sadly, this version is mostly a desktop OS optimized for mouse and keyboard. The touch UI is an horrible mess, an afterthought.
I understand they want to secure the PC market, but to make happy the Windows 7 users they dismantled the touch aspect of the OS. Maybe a bit of geniality could had prevented the fatidic outcome, but no, they couldn't solved it, this is just Windows 7 with live tiles, and a ridiculous "continuum" UI unfit for touch devices.
Of course tech bloggers are praising Windows 10 because they only see it as a desktop OS, but with the focus in the touch interface I only see mediocrity and failure.

They'll show the ARM version in early 2015, here a glimpse:

http://wmpoweruser.com/first-tablet-running-windows-phone-pictured/

Just a scaled up WP.

The major design decisions can be changed in so little time, It took a couple of years to develop what they showed today.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The preview showed today is the OS for: PCs, hybrids like the Surface Pro and the Asus T100, and big tablets that offer compatibility with x86 apps like the Toshiba encore 2 (10-inch) and the Hp Omni 10.

Sadly, this version is mostly a desktop OS optimized for mouse and keyboard. The touch UI is an horrible mess, an afterthought.
I understand they want to secure the PC market, but to make happy the Windows 7 users they dismantled the touch aspect of the OS. Maybe a bit of geniality could had prevented the fatidic outcome, but no, they couldn't solved it, this is just Windows 7 with live tiles, and a ridiculous "continuum" UI unfit for touch devices.
Of course tech bloggers are praising Windows 10 because they only see it as a desktop OS, but with the focus in the touch interface I only see mediocrity and failure.

Just a scaled up WP.

The major design decisions can be changed in so little time, It took a couple of years to develop what they showed today.

WTF!? which part of "it is an early preview" can't you understand?

Things you don't know:

- It is the final look
- Taskbar options (hidding when full screen, for example)
- Continuum behavior
- etc

If you know the Windows story, MS always change things, UI, usability, etc. Please calm down and wait to the beta or RTM version to judge.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

http://wmpoweruser.com/first-tablet-running-windows-phone-pictured/

Just a scaled up WP.

Um, we've known for months that WP is going to replace RT for tablets. I don't see how you didn't see it coming.

And yes, we've got literally almost a year before the official release. They can make some medium-sized changes in that time, so if there's some things that you don't like in Continuum, you can leave your feedback.

David_da_Silva

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
After reading all of this crap I just want you to calm down for a bit.
If you can open your mind and be creative for a bit, for sure you will understand that probably this kind of difference between the devices must likely will be because of the screen size or OEM.
I don't believe at all that this will happen to Surface or whatever tablet that have at least 8 inches of screen. For me that looks like a small tablet and to be reasonable, a "phone" OS would be the correct answer. I wouldn't won't my 7 inch tablet to run like Surface, that would be just stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Stanley

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Really early!! I do really hope they make it as fun and productive for touch devices as windows 8 has been. I run my business from an all in one desktop, a surface pro, and my windows phone. Love all of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo