Windows 10 a disapointment, hybrids and tablets are dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
There's a feedback app - if you don't like continuum (which is not yet even available/present) in the current technical preview build, then say it using that app. Windows 10 is far from being finished, good times ahead.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's more expensive in my country.

I never said that Chrome OS was better than Windows.

When you guys kept annoying me in another thread about Android's security, I just mentioned that if security is what matters to you most why do all of you use Windows and not Chrome OS?

I never said Chrome OS was the best though.

Obviously an OS won't lag after a clean install, but Windows 8 bogs down significantly after a while which shouldn't be the case.

Luckily according to the videos I'm seeing from Windows 10 it seems to have gotten much faster, go Microsoft. Haha. :)

my apologies on the price thing i didnt realize itll be more expensive there,i thought we all got the same rates in Asia (except dubai etc and singapore etc)

you think chrome os is secure?? oh man no,chrome os is a closed version of open source linux
chrome os is like putting your head in a lions mouth,google will spy on you with pleasure
also chrome os is massively limited and its better to buy a netbook and put elementary os or ubuntu on it if you dont like windows(not you,just a general terminology)
i use elementary os sometimes,fastest OS ive used,except windows 10,thats even faster

windows 8 doesnt bog down,hes saying a clean install because you probably installed malware or bloat by accident

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Obviously an OS won't lag after a clean install, but Windows 8 bogs down significantly after a while which shouldn't be the case.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you should apply some troubleshooting skills to your system upon which Windows 8 "bogs down significantly" rather than declare it as an issue with Windows 8 itself. Reason being, I have TWO systems which were given clean installs of Windows 8 the week of Windows 8's initial release; they've both been used daily since that time, they've both been kept updated, they were both updated to Windows 8.1 when it was released (not clean install, just an update from the Store) and I continue keeping them updated to this day.

Neither shows any lagging or bogging-down in the slightest.

In my experience, lagging or bogging-down systems are usually unique to that system and not pandemic to the operating system... except in very specific cases ("wow, I just installed Windows 8 on my 1ghz Pentium 4 with 512mb of RAM and it's a dog!")

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, lagging or bogging-down systems are usually unique to that system and not pandemic to the operating system... except in very specific cases ("wow, I just installed Windows 8 on my 1ghz Pentium 4 with 512mb of RAM and it's a dog!")

You forgot the 32MB shared memory and the AC '97 sound card.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Amazing that people think what was released last week is the final Windows 10.

This is in reality "Windows 8.1 update 2" and resembles the final release probably as much as XP resembled Win7.

It is mainly for gathering feedback, something they should have been doing long before Windows 8 was finalized.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Amazing that people think what was released last week is the final Windows 10.

This is in reality "Windows 8.1 update 2" and resembles the final release probably as much as XP resembled Win7.

It is mainly for gathering feedback, something they should have been doing long before Windows 8 was finalized.

its like Lumia with black and 8.1 update 1 DP

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There's a feedback app - if you don't like continuum (which is not yet even available/present) in the current technical preview build, then say it using that app. Windows 10 is far from being finished, good times ahead.

I don't like Windows 7 (aka Windows 10) in general. I believe the desktop environment is an overkill for most people. Simpler UIs will be adopted, big tablets with keyboards or simpler windowed environments like Chrome OS.

Windows 7 is too niche. Sinofsky was right.

I don't see any section in the feedback app to express that, and of course Microsoft won't listen to me.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't like Windows 7 (aka Windows 10) in general. I believe the desktop environment is an overkill for most people. Simpler UIs will be adopted, big tablets with keyboards or simpler windowed environments like Chrome OS.

Currently, the desktop environment is way more productive than touch. People who are looking only for web surfing will be definitely fine with Chrome OS. However the OS has zero productivity.

So you're saying that 90% of PC and Mac users are using a niche OS paradigm. Apparently you see what these 90% people don't.

I don't see any section in the feedback app to express that, and of course Microsoft won't listen to me.

Leave a feedback to improve the feedback app.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I had to check my calendar to make sure it didn't say April 1. I won't go into a diatribe to prove what 98% of the computing world already knows. Desktops will NEVER go away. You are reading way too many mobile tech publications and they're affecting your judgment. I'll put it another way, you don't see engineers sending up space shuttles with iPads.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Currently, the desktop environment is way more productive than touch. People who are looking only for web surfing will be definitely fine with Chrome OS. However the OS has zero productivity.

So you're saying that 90% of PC and Mac users are using a niche OS paradigm. Apparently you see what these 90% people don't.

Leave a feedback to improve the feedback app.

You have to back your assertions with arguments. Why is the desktop more productive for most people? Managing windows make sense to fulfill the simple multi-tasking needs of the regular user, or is an overkill?

IMO the complex Windows desktop is legacy, I see more and more people using tablets with keyboards or chromebooks. You can also see that in web traffic stats.

A simpler OS with clean UI, optimized for the most common usage patterns has obvious advantages in productivity, for most people.

A simpler office suit with a less cluttered UI, more consistent in the different form factors is more productive for most people.

Simplicity and optimization for the most common tasks have a big value in productivity.

The trend has started, it's going to take a few years to complete. Microsoft saw it, that's why they pushed Windows 8.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Loaded Windows 10 on a dell inspiron 1720, 4gb ram...I think it runs great and is smooth. It boots up faster than my desktop with Windows 7 and 8gb ram...will be interesting to see how it changes on final release. I will also leave feedback to Microsoft as I go

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
IMO the complex Windows desktop is legacy, I see more and more people using tablets with keyboards or chromebooks.

That may be fine for students and for salespeople who just need access to emails and such. Chromebook? Useless without an internet connection and can't run any apps out of the box. Don't bring up hacks because your main argument is simplicity, most people don't have these skills.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
You have to back your assertions with arguments. Why is the desktop more productive for most people? Managing windows make sense to fulfill the simple multi-tasking needs of the regular user, or is an overkill?

So you're asking me for arguments, however you didn't tell nothing about your own "belief". Ok let's try.

1. Can you code as productive on touch as using a mouse/keyboard? No. (I'm coding every single day and I know what I'm talking about)
2. Is the software more customizable on touch than desktop? No.
3. Are the touch devices as powerful as the desktop is (for gaming, encoding, compiling)? ABSOLUTELY NO.

Fortunately Office is available for SOME touch devices, as well some Adobe stuff.

While using touch devices you're replacing your motor and reflex skills with your sight. I never look on the keyboard while I type, but I will have to spend my time looking on the on-screen keyboard to type. That's what I call productivity.

Now your turn.

IMO the complex Windows desktop is legacy, I see more and more people using tablets with keyboards or chromebooks. You can also see that in web traffic stats.

When you add the keyboard, the tablet becomes an environment, not a touch device. The word "touch" involves touch itself, not adding the keyboard/mouse.

A simpler OS with clean UI, optimized for the most common usage patterns has obvious advantages in productivity, for most people.

As I said above, for some people it's fine, but the touch doesn't increase the productivity.
Ask yourself what people use the touch devices for? Like iPads, Nexus tablets, Surface (ONLY touch, no keyboard). Is there some productivity? No. It's just fun: playing games, surfing web, social networks etc. No productivity almost (again, except Office and Adobe).

The trend has started, it's going to take a few years to complete. Microsoft saw it, that's why they pushed Windows 8.

It has started when Apple announced the iPad and it still continues, yet touch didn't become more productive than mouse/keyboard.

tl;dr The touch will become more productive when you will have better results using sight instead of reflexes.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So you're asking me for arguments, however you didn't tell nothing about your own "belief". Ok let's try.

1. Can you code as productive on touch as using a mouse/keyboard? No. (I'm coding every single day and I know what I'm talking about)
2. Is the software more customizable on touch than desktop? No.
3. Are the touch devices as powerful as the desktop is (for gaming, encoding, compiling)? ABSOLUTELY NO.

Fortunately Office is available for SOME touch devices, as well some Adobe stuff.

While using touch devices you're replacing your motor and reflex skills with your sight. I never look on the keyboard while I type, but I will have to spend my time looking on the on-screen keyboard to type. That's what I call productivity.

Now your turn.

When you add the keyboard, the tablet becomes an environment, not a touch device. The word "touch" involves touch itself, not adding the keyboard/mouse.

As I said above, for some people it's fine, but the touch doesn't increase the productivity.
Ask yourself what people use the touch devices for? Like iPads, Nexus tablets, Surface (ONLY touch, no keyboard). Is there some productivity? No. It's just fun: playing games, surfing web, social networks etc. No productivity almost (again, except Office and Adobe).

It has started when Apple announced the iPad and it still continues, yet touch didn't become more productive than mouse/keyboard.

tl;dr The touch will become more productive when you will have better results using sight instead of reflexes.

I think touch will always be a more consumption focused interaction method. With it getting into productivity work flows only where it makes sense like PhotoShop illustrating, etc.

The keyboard and mouse are like wrenches and screw drivers for auto mechanics, while touch is like the steering wheel and pedals for drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss