Windows 10 Technical Preview Arrives 9:00 AM Pacific Time

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
LIVE: Links to ISO's: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Microsoft announced yesterday, at the low key announcement event, that the public preview of its next operating system would be available for download on October 1. And as things stand, you’ll not have to wait much longer to get your hands on the copy.

A confidential document that Redmond sent to partners, which was uploaded to the web just recently states that the Windows 10 technical preview will be available 9 AM Pacific Time, 12 PM Eastern Time.

Which makes it barely an hour from now.

Here is selection from the document:

They also announced the branding for the new version of Windows: Windows 10. Microsoft also shared that a Technical Preview will be available on October 1 around 9AM for pre-release testing, evaluation and feedback. Please note that the Technical Preview is intended for PC experts who are comfortable downloaded unfinished software. Microsoft recommends that if you download the Tech Preview, to do so on a secondary PC.

The download will be part of the new Insider program that Microsoft has rolled out for Windows experts and enthusiasts that want to take its operating systems for a spin during development.

This portal is sure to go live at the abovementioned hours too.

As is always the case, it is advisable not to install Windows 10 technical preview on your main PC, on production hardware, as there are bound to be bugs and issues that may create problems or break existing programs.

Microsoft is expected to release a few such preview releases, so always install them on a separate computer, if possible, in order to test these early builds out.

http://preview.windows.com

Last edited:

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited. Looking forward to sending feedback, feedback and more feedback...

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Before you install Windows Technical Preview
Is it right for me?
System requirements
What can I keep?
Updates and feedback
Help and support
A preview for PC experts
Windows Technical Preview is here today, but it’s a long way from done. We’re going to make it faster, better, more fun at parties...you get the idea. Join the Windows Insider Program to make sure you get all the new features that are on the way. If you’re okay with a moving target and don’t want to miss out on the latest stuff, keep reading. Technical Preview could be just your thing.

Download and install the preview only if you
Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.
We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

Things to keep in mind
Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

Also, if your PC runs into problems, Microsoft will likely examine your system files. If the privacy of your system files is a concern, consider using a different PC. For more info, read our privacy statement.

What does it work with?
Technical Preview should work with the same devices and programs that work with Windows 8.1, but you might need to update or reinstall some of them.

Drivers for basic functions like storage, networking, input, and display come with Windows. These drivers allow you to complete the Windows installation and connect to the Internet. You might be able to get more drivers from Windows Update.

For compatibility info, see the Windows 8.1 Compatibility Center.

If you use a mouse and keyboard
Your apps and devices should work as expected, though of course there will be exceptions. We’d love to know what you think about how the new Windows works with mouse and keyboard and whether it provides the best of new and familiar functionality for Windows and apps.

If you have a touch PC
Technical Preview works with touch, but some things will be rough and unfinished. More touch-friendly improvements are on the way. In the meantime, let us know what it’s like to interact with Windows and apps in the preview.

If you want to go back to your previous operating system
You'll need to reinstall your version of Windows from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media). If you don't have recovery media:

For Windows 7 or Windows Vista: Before you update, you might be able to create recovery media from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info.

For Windows 8.1 or Windows 8: You might be able to create a USB recovery drive. For more info, see Create a USB recovery drive.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
can you back out of that? Upgrade process?

Not sure, I remoted into my home PC to iniate the download from that thing and left it at the "Restart" prompt until I get home. I'm downloading the ISO to setup a VM after. Hopefully there's a Warning and cancel option after reboot. To be safe, I would kill your internet connection before rebooting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon