I think the topic "windows 10" is trending worldwide in twitter for 2 days.I hope this is a good sign.
    10-01-2014 03:48 PM
    My money's on the majority poking fun at how its 10 instead of 9.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    10-01-2014 06:06 PM
    My money's on the majority poking fun at how its 10 instead of 9.
    That's actually true. lol
    10-01-2014 08:49 PM
    Seems like a but of a bone-headed naming choice and every rationalization I've heard so far has been silly. Microsoft says 'trust us, it will make sense later' or 'it makes sense because this is going to be the last major release of Windows', but honestly those arguments don't hold much water for me. I get not wanting to call it Windows 9, especially since that version number will likely be meaningless in a few years... But how does going one bigger make that any different? It just adds a layer of stupidity to the whole thing.

Really all we can do at times like this is put our heads down and say "Oh, Microsoft..."

They try, they just overthink everything and end up missing what should be obvious
    10-01-2014 09:21 PM
    Seems like a but of a bone-headed naming choice and every rationalization I've heard so far has been silly. Microsoft says 'trust us, it will make sense later' or 'it makes sense because this is going to be the last major release of Windows', but honestly those arguments don't hold much water for me. I get not wanting to call it Windows 9, especially since that version number will likely be meaningless in a few years... But how does going one bigger make that any different? It just adds a layer of stupidity to the whole thing.

Really all we can do at times like this is put our heads down and say "Oh, Microsoft..."

They try, they just overthink everything and end up missing what should be obvious
    Please, fill us in, what's the obvious?
    10-01-2014 09:25 PM
    It's amazing really, people ***** about Windows 8, it's terrible this and terrible that. Now with Windows 10 which is looking great, it's 'what a stupid name'. Really people, get a grip, if you don't like Microsoft, just go use something else and live a happier life.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-01-2014 09:28 PM
    I'm not referring to anything specific, just a general pattern. It seems for everything Microsoft gets right there must also be something silly they botch. Sometimes it's awkward naming conventions, sometimes it's bad communication (for a recent example, look back to the blog post explaining the recent changes to Office 365 for business), and sometimes it's just something nonsensical like calling this version of Windows version 10 just because it's a nice, round number.

Don't misunderstand, I don't dislike Microsoft as a company or anything like that. I just find their ineptitude at everything that is not developing software to be... charming.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-01-2014 09:31 PM
    I'm not referring to anything specific, just a general pattern. It seems for everything Microsoft gets right there must also be something silly they botch. Sometimes it's awkward naming conventions, sometimes it's bad communication (for a recent example, look back to the blog post explaining the recent changes to Office 365 for business), and sometimes it's just something nonsensical like calling this version of Windows version 10 just because it's a nice, round number.

Don't misunderstand, I don't dislike Microsoft as a company or anything like that. I just find their ineptitude at everything that is not developing software to be... charming.
    Pretty shallow my brother.
    10-01-2014 09:50 PM
    Actually, going through about a hundred posts, it looks like the majority are the following:
    1) people linking to the same 10 blog posts about Windows 10 from the big sites
    2) people installing it and posting a screenshot and
    3) some weird story about how it wasn't Windows 9 because programs would think it's Windows 95/98 (which most of the well known Windows devs have debunked as false)

So..... xandros9, when do I get my money?
    tgp and Christian Kallevig like this.
    10-02-2014 12:25 AM
    Well, I could try to counter it by poking into news articles re: Windows 10's unveiling. It's a sea of things like "why 10" "stupid" etc etc

eh, Bury Me With My Money
    10-02-2014 04:41 PM
    I wouldn't discount #3, I am guilty of writing that code in an enterprise application...
    10-03-2014 03:37 PM
    I wouldn't discount #3, I am guilty of writing that code in an enterprise application...
    But still, that's not how most code does that kind of thing, at least as much as I'm aware. It doesn't identify it by the public name, it goes by version number (e.g. NT 6.1, NT 6.2, NT 6.3 etc...) so that theoretically shouldn't be the problem. It's obviously wild speculation on my part, but I don't think that's the actual reason.
    10-03-2014 04:24 PM