Is it possible to Install Windows 10 in Surface 2 RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No, it's not made for ARM, just x86 and x64, and my personal opinion is that if you actually have to ask this question, you shouldn't be installing it in the first place.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Install Windows 10 in Surface 2

There will be a version you can install, probably sometime in January.

When that goes live you should remember a few things, though. It's going to require a clean install of Windows after it expires, so make sure anything important is backed up (your apps and settings will be restored automatically). Also, in case the install goes bad, I highly recommend you make a recovery drive before you install anything. That way you can roll back your OS if the update goes bad (probably won't happen, but you're definitely better safe than sorry).

For now though, you just have to wait. The current build is missing all of the tablet features that you'd expect to get anyway, and is laser-focused on the desktop experience. Odds are the build you get in January won't even have a desktop on pure touch devices like Surface 2

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Install Windows 10 in Surface 2

I agree with Jas00555, if the OP had read through the information on the preview website properly and including the information on this site in case he missed the preview site information. If he didn't do his research, then more than likely he shouldn't be attempting to use the TP.

davidcox

May 22, 2015
Visit site
One of the primary goals of Windows 10 is to provide support for multiple architectures including the ARM. There is no guarantee, but there's rumors saying late 2015 you should be able to update the Surface RT.

I also completely disagree with Jas00555 and koolnaija. Do try and make mistakes. There is nothing wrong with that. That is how you learn. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you shouldn't do something because you don't understand it. Ask questions and try to understand it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
One of the primary goals of Windows 10 is to provide support for multiple architectures including the ARM. There is no guarantee, but there's rumors saying late 2015 you should be able to update the Surface RT.

I also completely disagree with Jas00555 and koolnaija. Do try and make mistakes. There is nothing wrong with that. That is how you learn. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you shouldn't do something because you don't understand it. Ask questions and try to understand it.

There have never been any rumors about this. Microsoft has explicitly said that Windows RT will not have an upgrade path to Windows 10, and will only be getting a subset of features.

Also, you're completely missing my point. The Technical Preview is for enthusiasts and people who like to use beta software. People like that don't really ask "do I install it?", they just do it anyways.

rsmith77

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree with davidcox - everyone has to start somewhere and doing investigation with asking questions, is a great way to start. Jas00555 and koolnaija are simply wrong in their opinion and do not have any basis to communicate their short sighted statement. Don't ever get bored of asking questions and never stop being curious.

The RT model appears to be an initial stop gap system to get Microsoft on the floor to get their Surface product active. It would be wonderful to get Win 10 on them, but they simply may be too under powered to handle it. I could be wrong and we will see some time in late 2015 or early 2016, sometime Microsoft does change their minds on certain things.

Glen Dickinson

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
There's an update coming for surface RT that will give you some of the components of w10, but not full usability. Wait for it, and be excited - should add some great new stuff to the beloved surface RT!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There is no point to continuing this thread, as it is over a year old now.

MS has repeatedly stated that RT devices will not be updated to W10. RT devices will receive an update towards the end of the year, but not to W10. MS has yet to clarify what that update will entail.

As always, anything is possible, but the probability of MS reversing their decision is very small indeed.

Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs