Can I install windows 10 from a USB?

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I made a bootable stick with *Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool* and it installed perfectly.

Last edited:

aziouazrayes

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I used RUFUS and installed it through a USB, runs fantastic and I'm surprised, IE is running perfectly and is very fast (doesn't freeze like it did in 8.1)

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you can. But there are some problems if you do that on a Windows 8/8.1 computer. You might have to enter the BIOS on your computer and select the main boot on USB. After that, you are good to go.

You can also use Minipartition or Disk Utility to create a separate partition for dual boot.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure I could google this but haven't had any luck so far..

I downloaded the ISO and moved it to a USB flash drive, after using RUFUS to change the flash drive. Do I need to do something with an ISO mounter, or should that be it?

Thanks!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
What about from an external hard drive? Can I download the .iso to an external hard drive and also partition another part of that hard drive and fully install, boot up, and run Windows 10 Preview from the external hard drive while leaving Windows 8.1 Pro as is on my computer's hard drive?

aziouazrayes

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
When you open RUFUS there's a section called CREATE A BOOTABLE DISC USING, here choose ISO IMAGE from selection menu, than there's an icon of a cd drive next to it click it and choose you ISO (assuming the USB is plugged in). RESTART your PC then when it boots, you must notice an F2 or F9 or F12 command that would take you to BOOT DEVICE, if you can find it, choose BOOT FROM USB (if you are using a DESKTOP when you first turn on the PC press DELETE to enter the BIOS menu than you navigate until you find BOOT MENU OPTIONS). The idea is to set your PC to detect the USB when it restarts then the process is just like installing from a DVD/CD

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
What about from an external hard drive? Can I download the .iso to an external hard drive and also partition another part of that hard drive and fully install, boot up, and run Windows 10 Preview from the external hard drive while leaving Windows 8.1 Pro as is on my computer's hard drive?

I tried doing that on an old computer running Win 7, ATA drives, USB 2.0, etc. and the Win 10 TP install errorred out with a could not find media driver error. MS will have to fix that if they expect the XP diehards and Win 7 users who still use older machines to upgrade to Win 10. Even if they make a Win 10 Home Edition free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss