have some questions about tech preview.........

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
1. Will all the personal data will be deleted?
2. Can it be used as daily PC? , as i use pc almost 8hrs everyday.
3. any bug found by any of you on preview?

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
1. Do you mean data loss on install or loosing your data when the preview is expired?

You can do an upgrade when you install which will maintain your files and settings, however this only is available as an upgrade from 8.0 8.1.

2. I would never recommend using preview software on your primary PC - there will definitely be a variety of bugs or annoyances. Either set it up on a secondary PC or setup a dual boot.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Its BETA so YOU are responsible for previously backing up YOUR DATA off the computer. No guarantees.

Will DATA be deleted?..no more than any other OS...if you overwrite it accidentally then maybe...upgrade install is designed not to destroy your data. I do not recommend upgrade install (.exe), I recommend a clean install on either a spare partition or use a VHD or VM. (ISO)

Can it be used daily...sure BUT its BETA and you may not want to fully rely on a BETA os.

Are there bugs...YES...are they horrible NO..not that I've found. More minor annoyances that will be ironed out later on.

I've beta tested just about every windows...this is BY FAR most polished at this stage of the game almost 8-9 months from RTM..its a great OS

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay, regarding your data:
You have a few options here- you could do an upgrade install, which will preserve everything or you could install to a separate drive or partition. I recommend the latter option, however because...

This is not ideal for a main PC with important data. This is beta software, and while it is a fully functional OS, it will have some problems along the way and at the end of the beta period you'll have to install something else anyway (and if this is like previous betas, that may mean doing a clean install of Windows). If you want to try using this as your main OS then do yourself a favor and dual boot. That way your old OS and everything that goes along with it will be safe and you can go back at any time if there are problems.

Bugs will happen. Most will probably be minor, but I still would not go all in. If your computer is seizing up or crashing and you need to get work done, but don't have another OS to boot into you are going to regret it.

All that said, I don't see any harm in trying this out. Just go the dual-booting route.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I was on Windows 7 Ultimate and upgraded to 10 and all of my files, games, videos, music etc were where they should be. It really is an 'upgrade', you shouldn't lose anything.

I accidentally installed W10 over my W7 install so I'm stuck with it as my main, and only, OS until I get a new HDD. I haven't run into any problems or crashes, and certainly nothing to prevent me from using my computer as I need to.

But in the end it's likely that because this is a Tech preview they won't update it to the final, released version, so when it comes out you would have to either upgrade again or start anew.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

1. if all goes well, no, unless you choose so. (STILL, BACK UP DATA, its a good practice)
2. Technically yes, but if you want reliability, don't touch it.
3. lots of rough edges, lack of animations, you don't want to rely on this build just yet.
I did it on my main laptop because i am feeling lucky and I have easy backups to fall back on as well as alternative systems to use.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
How about testing it on a Virtual Machine before you damage your actual host machine?

And, however, if you install it, be ready to update your OS as often as every day.

Last edited:

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Just install Microsoft's Hyper-V client, and run Windows 10 in the client as a virtual machine. No need to dual boot, no need to worry about your Windows 8 install, and when your done, (or if anything bad happens with the virtual machine), scrap it and start again.

With multiple monitor set ups this is the way to do it 😊

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
can anyone tell me how to install in dual boot system.

All you really have to do is use the disk management tool to create a separate partition for it (google steps for this if you don't know how, but basically you just need to "shrink volume" on the drive you want to use). I made mine 80GB but can make it however big you want depending on your harddrive size, preferably at least 40GB though I'd say.

Boot from installation disk, whether it is CD/DVD or USB, choose custom installation, choose the partition you had created. From there it's just following prompts.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

can anyone tell me how to install in dual boot system.

Frankly speaking, my recommendation is that you do not attempt to try Windows 10.

Your questions indicate you do not possess the minimum amount of recommended technical skill and experience necessary. There is no official hardware and software support for a reason: Microsoft wants feedback from highly technical proficient personnel in order to complete the framework. You will not be able to provide that feedback.

I mean no insult, but ask yourself, are you an advanced user or IT professional? Or are you just a tech enthusiast who wants to try something new? Save yourself and Microsoft the time and frustration and stay with public release.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99