Even though I am not using Windows 10 as a main OS, I like to stay secure.

Every anti-virus I have tried (about AVG, Avast, and MalwareBytes) has said it has compatibility issues and will not run on Windows 10.
    Have you gotten one to work yet?
    10-02-2014 03:55 PM
    I use ESET and MBAMPro...no issue.

Windows defender/smartscreen already give you AV protection inherently in Windows 10...so you are OK without
    10-02-2014 04:12 PM
    I just enabled Windows Defender and called it a day.
    10-02-2014 04:20 PM
    I just enabled Windows Defender and called it a day.
    This. I've never gotten a virus since using Windows 8 (and I double check frequently with Malwarebytes full and flash scans.) Windows Defender is perfectly adequate for most viruses and I get a little tired of how bloated anti-virus programs are.
    10-02-2014 04:22 PM
    This. I've never gotten a virus since using Windows 8 (and I double check frequently with Malwarebytes full and flash scans.) Windows Defender is perfectly adequate for most viruses and I get a little tired of how bloated anti-virus programs are.
    When I bought a new computer a few months ago, I got a monster set of malware when I hit the wrong button for a software download. It took me hours to clean up a brand new computer. It screwed up proxy settings, all kinds of ****. I couldn't even access the internet to download antivirus.

While you may be able to get away without it, that one time when something happens, you'll deeply regret not having it.
    tgp and DavidinCT like this.
    10-02-2014 04:26 PM
    When I bought a new computer a few months ago, I got a monster set of malware when I hit the wrong button for a software download. It took me hours to clean up a brand new computer. It screwed up proxy settings, all kinds of ****. I couldn't even access the internet to download antivirus.

While you may be able to get away without it, that one time when something happens, you'll deeply regret not having it.
    Yes, Windows 8 is certainly not immune to virus'. My coworker makes a living cleaning them up. Not all W8 computers of course, but some are.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    10-02-2014 04:42 PM

I must be lucky then haha! The last bad virus I got was back in the Windows 7 days with the dreaded "Google redirect virus" (of course it affected more than just Google.)
    10-02-2014 04:56 PM
    Every Windows operating since Vista has a native antivirus program.

While there is debate on the efficacy of this native antivirus program, for the Technical Preview you have no choice. Due to the invasive nature of antivirus programs, none will run on unsupported operating systems by manufacturer design.

Rest assured that those antivirus manufacturers are hard at work coding their products for Windows 10 functionality.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    10-03-2014 07:59 AM
    i use avira antivir and it works like a charm. i would highly recommend it
    03-12-2015 02:18 AM
    IMO common sense is the best anti virus tool you have. Other than that the built in one is just fine, no need for any 3rd party bloat.
    03-12-2015 02:32 AM
    windows defender
    It should be enough for you unless you do some "risky" things
    3rd party are not compatible since the code written are changing
    03-12-2015 05:29 AM
    IMO common sense is the best anti virus tool you have. Other than that the built in one is just fine, no need for any 3rd party bloat.
    I want to say "AMEN!" here, but the sense truly isn't common. I don't particularly *play it safe* on the web and I'm infection free without an AV. But at the same time it'd simply be foolish to assume what I (a coder and IT contractor) know to be common sense because the ability to look at something and say "Ha, that's not a legit flash update, you think I'm stupid?" is something most will have to work on before they stop clickin' on dumb ****.

If you really feel like you need a failsafe though, there is none on this planet better than Avast... and with Malwarebytes as a supplementary tool, you'd have to pretty much jump through hoops to even allow infections. Try out compatibility mode if it gives you flak on W10.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 03-12-2015 at 06:00 AM.
    bmetelsky likes this.
    03-12-2015 05:47 AM
    I use ESET and MBAMPro...no issue.
    +1 for ESET
    03-12-2015 07:44 AM
    Even though I am not using Windows 10 as a main OS, I like to stay secure.

Every anti-virus I have tried (about AVG, Avast, and MalwareBytes) has said it has compatibility issues and will not run on Windows 10.
    Have you gotten one to work yet?
    ok, I have AVG on my PC and it seems to run just right...Never had a message for incompatibility
    gpobernardo likes this.
    03-12-2015 11:24 AM
    Do what I do, if you are going to browse questionable sites (how most virus's come from), Install VMware player, Install your OS into the VM and make a snapshot, browse the web, you get a virus ? Delete the VM, restore your snapshot and your back to where you were...

I'm only using Microsoft Anti-virus on Windows 10 myself, no problems so far...
    03-13-2015 10:02 AM
    List Of Software I am currently running (error free) on Windows 10 TP 10056
    Malwarebytes AM Pro (latest)
    Malwarebytes AE Pro (latest)
    VooDooShield v2.50
    CCleaner Pro (latest)
    Glary Utilities Pro (latest)
    EVGA PrecisionX v5.3.1
    OpenDNS Updater v2.2.1

Hopes this helps someone. PeAcE
    04-21-2015 04:57 PM
    Hi Toonu,

Comodo Antivirus & Internet Security is a class of Windows 10, It automatically scans files, folders & links from PC and internet and has Advanced Sandbox Technology.
    08-03-2015 07:42 AM
    Hi Toonu,

Comodo Antivirus & Internet Security is a class of Windows 10, It automatically scans files, folders & links from PC and internet and has Advanced Sandbox Technology.
    Agreed, as freeware solution, it provides features many other freewares don't. I'm going to install it, and test. Plus the firewall also povides notifications, for both inbound and outbound connections.
    It offers more features than avira, avg, and is equally as effective, I find. plus less bloatware. I don't approve of anti virus suites, telling me that they can optimize my pc.

If anyone continue to use defender, i suggest, you fortify, with WFN https://wfn.codeplex.com/, or Glasswire https://www.glasswire.com/
    Both these programs boost the Windows Firewall.

Antimalwarebytes Anti Exploit
    Malwarebytes of course
    08-05-2015 02:29 PM