09-09-2015 03:37 PM
83 1234
tools
    ;)

Trying that right away .. But since the Recovery Image from Microsoft are not .ISO, I'll try to format the USB Key using Rufus and then drag / drop the files into it.

We'll see.

Thanks again.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sadly it didn't work with me, the same ugly message on reset attempt ( insert your windows installation media ) appears , even when trying to use recovery image it couldn't recognize it.
    I'm facing the same problem , I think I've checked a video on YouTube the guy said it should be USB 3 , which has a blue rubber . I don't have one otherwise I would have tried it . Any ideas ?
    10-04-2014 12:03 PM
    Hi,

Indeed, it fails as well here.

Hum... Regarding that USB 3 (the blue one) ... I'm not sure which one I use on my main PC (I have both) to create the UsB drive... I'll try another time and be sure I plug the USB into the blue one to create the USB Recovery... and try to boot again / reset on the Surface...

Keep you post (probably later today...)

EDIT: Other tests ! did: Try the USB3 to create the USB key: No Luck. Try to use 7Zip instead of the built in unzip: No luck.
    Cheers (or not.........)
    Last edited by Elezium; 10-04-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Magdy Samir likes this.
    10-04-2014 12:29 PM
    I just went through this on my SP1.

Here's the steps :
    1. Get the image for your SP model
    2. Unzip the file
    3. Format the USB stick to FAT32 (just the built in formatting is fine)
    4. Copy the files from the zip file to the USB stick.
    5. Power off the SP
    6. Hold down volume, press and release power, when Surface spash shows up, release Volume

What will happen might take a little time, but not much. On this boot the files will be used to create a virtual CD on the stick and that will be the image you actually use.

Then look at the second part of the instructions on the page for resetting the SP and follow them.

Note : the 'target' is the W10 preview.

I won't be back on until tomorrow AM, so if you have questions I'll try to answer then.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk
    Rafael Yousuf and pippyo03 like this.
    10-04-2014 10:22 PM
    Ok, I have just downloaded the recovery image from the Microsoft Surface website
    and put the files in a USB key formatted with the built-in formatting tool.

When I try to reset my Surface It gives me one choice for the target OS version, that is "Windows 10 Technical Preview"!!!

Iparsons21: If I understand you well, you got the same choice as me that is only "Windows 10 Technical Preview" as Target but you proceed anyway and you ended up to successfully get back to Win 8.1. Am I correct?

It didn't go as smoothly for me as I got an error message quickly after choosing Reset my Computer.

As a next attempt, I will try to reformat my USB key with the built-in formatting tool but this time without the Quick format option checked.

I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by phil71; 10-05-2014 at 05:17 AM.
    10-05-2014 04:41 AM
    I successfully get back to Win 8.1 from Win 10 on my Surface Pro 3.

In order to do that, Ive done the following:
    Download the recovery image directly from Microsoft website
    microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage
    You will have to enter the serial number of your Surface (found at the back of the device or on the package)
    Just follow the instruction given by Microsoft. I've used the built-in formatting tool (Quick copy unchecked) to format the USB key.

The above procedure works for Microsoft Surface. For OEM devices, you will have to find a recovery image from the OEM website.
    10-05-2014 06:27 AM
    Yes, the only target was the Windows 10 Preview and I selected it and proceeded.

That threw me off for a bit because I thought it meant it was going to reinstall the W10 preview. But it went on an installed W8. The W8 install went without a hitch.

Then I had to get the 93 updates, and that was long and slow and burped a few times before that was finally done. I think the SP2 came with 8.1, so you shouldn't have that PITA to go through.

10-05-2014 07:17 AM
    I just went through this on my SP1.

Here's the steps :
    1. Get the image for your SP model
    2. Unzip the file
    3. Format the USB stick to FAT32 (just the built in formatting is fine)
    4. Copy the files from the zip file to the USB stick.
    5. Power off the SP
    6. Hold down volume, press and release power, when Surface spash shows up, release Volume

What will happen might take a little time, but not much. On this boot the files will be used to create a virtual CD on the stick and that will be the image you actually use.

Then look at the second part of the instructions on the page for resetting the SP and follow them.

Note : the 'target' is the W10 preview.

I won't be back on until tomorrow AM, so if you have questions I'll try to answer then.

I'll try this. I've actually done this exact procedure before in my attempt to revert my surface back to 8.1 and I still got the same nasty error image... Im about to start the long process so ill tell yall how it goes.

And on copying the files over to the USB you are coping them from the folder you just unzipped correct? Not the files from the compressed folder
    10-05-2014 07:59 AM
    Make sure the zip file you download is about 7GB in size. The first time I tried it, the zip was only 3GB and that didn't work at all. Still don't know why the darned thing truncated the download.

10-05-2014 08:07 AM
    Make sure the zip file you download is about 7GB in size. The first time I tried it, the zip was only 3GB and that didn't work at all. Still don't know why the darned thing truncated the download.

The file is a good 6.2 GB
    10-05-2014 08:27 AM
    I will leave this here, although it is not for win 10 tech prev, maybe it will help
    Recover your Surface RT from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8! (EN-US) | C and Sharps
    BTW you need to choose "yes repartition the drives" so the recovery drive will be erased and a new rec img will be installed there instead
    pippyo03 likes this.
    10-05-2014 08:35 AM
    Hello,

The steps mentioned above are exactly what I did.. The only thing that differs is the "Quick Format" option... I'l give it a try and keep your informed.

Thanks!
    10-05-2014 11:38 AM
    Hello,

The steps mentioned above are exactly what I did.. The only thing that differs is the "Quick Format" option... I'l give it a try and keep your informed.

Thanks!
    Yeah try it you are not gonna lose anything, I don't have a surface to try it on except for my sister's and she won't even let get close to it lol 😁
    10-05-2014 11:43 AM
    sigh...

Same result... I'm starting to wonder if the Recovery image is not broken for the SP2 ...

I tried to download the image twice, same size, same md5sum as well...

Not sure If I want to loose my Sunday afternoon with MS Tech Support.. that being said, that would be my punishment for such a bad move on my own...
    10-05-2014 12:30 PM
    Same gosh freaking error message... Grrr! I just want my 8.1 back!!
    I followed every step on point, download MY specific recovery image for my surface pro 2
    Formatted (not quick format) but formatted my USB correctly to the FAT32 or whatever
    copied the recovery imaged unzipping the files, everything good there
    shut down the surface
    Volume down power, did all that correctly,
    Troubleshoot, rest and ERROR! "insert media devise!!"
    even tried troubleshoot, advanced, System image recovery and ERROR!

I know I'm not missing anything.... I know I deserve this for my stupidity but geez... Does anyone have an idea? Even if I lose every single file I've ever own?
    10-05-2014 03:29 PM
    It doesn't matter if you do everything correct if the USB is not correct. I am 99% sure its the way you are doing the USB, and perhaps because you are not making it bootable.

Are you checking "Create a DOS startup disk" when formatting it?
    10-05-2014 04:15 PM
    I'm still facing the same problem. Followed every single step, downloaded the specific zip file for the surface pro 3 and inserted the serial number and everything , formatted the USB with the quick format unchecked, inzipped and copied the content to the USB , and all other attempts for reset and image recovery , the same error as if it's permanently stuck with windows 10 . I admit I don't hate the new windows and I can live with it , but man I want the windows 8.1 back .
    What's driving me crazy that I even made a recovery USB before installing the preview but also no luck .
    10-05-2014 04:19 PM
    1.Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by triggering the Run -- Windows Key + R -- feature, and opening "cmd".
    2.Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. Accept the UAC security prompt, if asked.
    3.Insert the USB drive.
    4.Type "list disk". The program will then show you a list of all the physical drives (HDD, SSD, USB, etc.) that are attached.
    5.Identify the disk number of the USB drive (it can be recognized by looking at the size column; it's usually the last listed disk) and type "select disk X", where "X" is the disk number of your USB drive.
    6.Type "clean". This will erase the contents of the USB drive, so make sure you have the contents backed-up beforehand.
    7.Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the USB drive.
    8.Type "select partition 1". This command will select the created partition.
    9.Type "active". This command will make the selected partition active.
    10.Type "format fs=ntfs quick". This command will format the created partition as NTFS.
    11.Type "assign". This command will assign a letter to the USB drive, which will make it show under Windows Explorer.
    12.Copy the contents (whatever you want to install) on the USB drive.
    Last edited by t.mehoves; 10-05-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    pippyo03 likes this.
    10-05-2014 04:38 PM
    It doesn't matter if you do everything correct if the USB is not correct. I am 99% sure its the way you are doing the USB, and perhaps because you are not making it bootable.

Are you checking "Create a DOS startup disk" when formatting it?
    How would one check to see if the created a DOS startup disk?

The way I've done it is plug it in, right click, format, put it on FAT32, and uncheck the quick format option. It takes about 10 mins and it says its formatted. Is there somthing in there that I've missed?
    10-05-2014 04:40 PM
    1.Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by triggering the Run -- Windows Key + R -- feature, and opening "cmd".
    2.Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. Accept the UAC security prompt, if asked.
    3.Insert the USB drive.
    4.Type "list disk". The program will then show you a list of all the physical drives (HDD, SSD, USB, etc.) that are attached.
    5.Identify the disk number of the USB drive (it can be recognized by looking at the size column; it's usually the last listed disk) and type "select disk X", where "X" is the disk number of your USB drive.
    6.Type "clean". This will erase the contents of the USB drive, so make sure you have the contents backed-up beforehand.
    7.Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the USB drive.
    10.Type "format fs=ntfs quick". This command will format the created partition as NTFS.
    11.Type "assign". This command will assign a letter to the USB drive, which will make it show under Windows Explorer.
    Thank you, ill try this and get back to you
    10-05-2014 04:41 PM
    Hi,

I do have the same error while trying to recover my SP2 (The inserted media is not valid).

I am sure my USB key is bootable and I test it on another computer with a more verbose BIOS boot screen...

I've seen people able to recovers their Surface 1 and 3 ... but no SP2 ..

Anyways, I'll give it another shot this evening.

Later ppl.
    10-05-2014 04:58 PM
    3.Insert the USB drive.
    Alright, I followed the diskpart process you have posted, and everything thing seemed to run smoothly, but twice it said I had to format the disk, (which I thought was already formatted. I ignored it the first time) and after I finished the process it asked me again, I again ignoring it and trying to use it and I gave me an error message and asked me to format it again. So I'm currently formatting the drive, not a quick formant but a full one. And I was wondering if that was supposed to happen as I'm afraid after all is said and done it will give the the same error message as had been giving to me every single time
    10-05-2014 05:27 PM
    Are you unzipping the zip file on the computer and then copying the contents to the USB stick?

That's all I had to do and do the boot sequence of with volume down.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    10-05-2014 07:32 PM
    I can officially say that this is frustrating. I've went through all the command prompt stuff... Failed again... Idk what's up but I am starting to believe Eleziums statement about the Sp 1 and 3 resetting, but not the Sp2
    10-05-2014 07:46 PM
    You installed an alpha product as your daily driver and you're upset with Microsoft?
    Firdaus Edymainoe likes this.
    10-05-2014 07:49 PM
    You installed an alpha product as your daily driver and you're upset with Microsoft?
    You have a very valid point. I do deserve this. Sorry for complaining

I got it to reset but it reset and went back to windows 10...
    10-05-2014 07:52 PM
83 1234