The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-09-2015 03:37 PM
83 1234
tools
    Wait... Pippyo03 says it's frustrating .. he, as far as I know, never put the blame on Microsoft, but mostly on himself.

Give him a break...
    10-05-2014 08:08 PM
    I just got heated because I somehow got it to reset, got kinda excited but its still stuck on windows 10. So I lost all my files in that reset, and still stuck with windows 10. I tried it again, and I'm still getting the error message of, "the media inserted is not valid"

I do admit and accept that I am very very stupid and completely got ahead of myself by downloading this unfinished preview meant for a secondary devise not used for primary touch oriented devise. So as a warning to all those people throwing caution to the wing, STOP, and think about what your doing. Just because I messed up my PC completely doesn't mean you should. As Mythbusters would say, "don't try this at home!" Well, you get my point
    10-05-2014 08:18 PM
    I feel your pain. Even though I was able to take my SP1 back to W8.1 it took the best part of a day to get it done.

Now I've got W10 32-bit running in a VM using VMware Player and it works fine.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    10-05-2014 08:31 PM
    Im about to try the Rufus program and see if that works... I'll let yall know.
    10-05-2014 08:35 PM
    When trying to format my USB through Rufus I realized that I have no clue where the ISO file is... Where can I find the ISO file in the recovery image I downloaded?
    10-05-2014 10:17 PM
    You can build an ISO of the recovery files, extract the files then use ' free ISO maker' to build it and use it with Rufus.

Trust me guys, surface needs a UEFI bootable USB to work just like the new windows 8 computers and laptops. With the computers you can always turnoff the safe boot and enable the legacy mode in bios or just make a uefi USB to format it, however in surface you can't do that so you have to use uefi USB.

I am pretty sure that you are missing a tiny bit of details. I will look into this later but keep updating this thread.
    pippyo03 likes this.
    10-06-2014 12:28 AM
    You can build an ISO of the recovery files, extract the files then use ' free ISO maker' to build it and use it with Rufus.

Trust me guys, surface needs a UEFI bootable USB to work just like the new windows 8 computers and laptops. With the computers you can always turnoff the safe boot and enable the legacy mode in bios or just make a uefi USB to format it, however in surface you can't do that so you have to use uefi USB.

I am pretty sure that you are missing a tiny bit of details. I will look into this later but keep updating this thread.
    I downloaded ISO software, make a ISO file, but when adding it to Rufus it gives me an error message of, "this version of Rufus only supports bootabl ISOs based on bootmgr/winpe, isolinux or EFI"

since idk what's up, I just used Rufus and unchecked the create a bootable disk... And copied the files on the old fashion way...
    10-06-2014 03:33 AM
    Alright, here's where I'm at, I've got a USB loaded with an ISO recovery image formatted through Rufus, and when it comes to power and volume down time, it boots up on the USB, but when I like reset, it doesn't give me an option to choose a target system, or anything like that and just says reset, (which I did last time and it reset back to windows 10).

And I boot it up without the USB in, click reset, it does give me the option to choose a target system, (I choose windows 10) and then reparation (yes) and inset media recovery drive (I insert my USB) and ERROR!

The problem not that its not UEFI bootable, because it is. In my opinion, the recovery is just simple broken, or not usable with windows 10. To back up this theory, I haven't meet another surface pro 2 user that has been successful in reverting it back to windows 10. I even remember a user early in this thread that said he created a recovery USB before trying out windows 10, his recovery still failed! Are there anymore thoughts on the mystery of the surface pro 2 recovery failure?
    Last edited by pippyo03; 10-06-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    10-06-2014 05:37 AM
    I think it is an issue with the Windows 10 recovery software in this case.
    I have a crazy idea but maybe you would like to try it in order to destroy the Windows ten recovery partition. If your surface is the pro edition, then download a Windows 8.1 ISO image then boot it and format your surface with it by deleting all partitions and recreating only one (or in case of uefi it will create 4 partitions). Complete the installation then try again with the recovery files downloaded from Microsoft.

The theory in this is that you will be deleting all partitions manually and recreating them using Windows 8 setup, so when you run the recovery you might be able to skip this "BUG" in Windows 10 tech prev

Please keep updating us...

Good luck ๐Ÿ€
    pippyo03 likes this.
    10-06-2014 07:07 AM
    I think it is an issue with the Windows 10 recovery software in this case.
    I have a crazy idea but maybe you would like to try it in order to destroy the Windows ten recovery partition. If your surface is the pro edition, then download a Windows 8.1 ISO image then boot it and format your surface with it by deleting all partitions and recreating only one (or in case of uefi it will create 4 partitions). Complete the installation then try again with the recovery files downloaded from Microsoft.

The theory in this is that you will be deleting all partitions manually and recreating them using Windows 8 setup, so when you run the recovery you might be able to skip this "BUG" in Windows 10 tech prev

Please keep updating us...

Good luck ๐Ÿ€
    Im up for trying anything. When you say download a windows 8.1 ISO image what do you mean? The recovery image that I've downloaded from the surface site?

Please understand that even though I'm not technology challenged, I have no idea how to tackle the process you have just mentioned. Which looks promising compared to the dilly dalling I've been doing. So might there be a website or a how to do video I could follow and learn? Or instruction to get me going?
    10-06-2014 07:25 AM
    10-06-2014 07:47 AM
    Hi folks,

Rafael suggestion might be an interesting test. I was thinking of installing Windows 8.1 from the ISO with another license (Hello Microsoft, mind putting the Cdkey inside the Surface box please?) that I have.

I'm 99% percent sure that my USB is bootable. I had a few other test that I would like to try later on today:
    - Use another USB device (I have a USB Harddrive, around 250GB I think)
    - Download another Surface imagine: I just want to see if it pass beyond the "Insert Media is not valid" error.. I am not expecting to fully work since the drivers are probably different.

Keep you post.. and thanks for everyone who update the thread as well. Appreciated.
    10-06-2014 07:51 AM
    This is the website I'm using to download the ISO image

How to Download the Windows 8.1 ISO image using a Windows 8 key
    10-06-2014 08:22 AM
    Quick update... I post on Microsoft Community Forum... We'll see....

Reinstall Windows 8/8.1 using the Recovery Image from Microsoft - Microsoft Community
    10-06-2014 09:22 AM
    How do you get a 8.1 ISO image? Ive been researching and it looks like the only way you can get one is by installing windows 8 using a product key. And I don't think surface owners have a product key. I could be mistaken as I'm not near my surface box at the moment but windows 8 comes preinstalled and we don't get a product key. So how could I obtain my product key?

I mean, I have a windows 8 pro product key at my house that I guess I'll use. If that would even work
    Last edited by pippyo03; 10-06-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    10-06-2014 10:57 AM
    Your key is embedded in the ROM. There are tools you can download that will retrieve it. Try the first bing result for "retrieve oem key windows 8"
    10-06-2014 11:59 AM
    Your key is embedded in the ROM. There are tools you can download that will retrieve it. Try the first bing result for "retrieve oem key windows 8"
    Thank you, I'll try this!!!
    10-06-2014 11:59 AM
    By the way, I did the same as you but on my Surface Pro 3.

I, like you, assumed that the recovery media provided by Microsoft will boot properly and actually recover the device if I need it to. But so far I am liking the Windows 10 preview so I'm not ready to find out yet. :)
    10-06-2014 12:05 PM
    PepperdoNet: I guess you are mostly using your Surface as a laptop with a mouse and keyboard! ;)
    10-06-2014 12:09 PM
    Microsoft Tech Support helped me get back to 8.1 from 10. I was having the
    same problems as all of you.

1. Either use your previously created USB recovery stick from your own
    machine OR download the image from the support website. Follow the
    directions on creating the USB recovery stick (quick format doesn't matter,
    but FAT32 does).
    2. Boot into the recovery tools using the instructions provided by
    Microsoft or on this forum.
    3. Select your language and keyboard
    4. Press Troubleshoot
    5. Press Command Prompt (I'll use CAPS for commands, but they can be in any
    case)
    6. Type DISKPART.EXE
    7. Type LIST DISK (there's a space between LIST and DISK) (a list of your
    disk partitions will appear)
    7a. Type SELECT DISK SYSTEM
    8. Type CLEAN (it will come back with a success message)
    9. Type EXIT
    10. Close the command prompt, which will return you to the recovery screen
    11. Press Troubleshoot, Reset, Next (skip the recovery key is asked),
    Repartition the drives, Just Remove my files (which is faster, but either
    choice works), and Reset (I think I got that order right..in any case, reset
    your Surface).
    12. The Surface will go through the reset process.
    13. A bios screen asking you whether you want to reset the TMP will appear.
    You can press ESC, but the support tech said that you can also press and
    hold the power button for 30 seconds to turn off the Surface, and then press
    it again to turn it back on.
    14. Enjoy Windows 8.1 and wait for the Consumer Preview of 10!
    Last edited by jhfronk; 10-06-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added a forgotten step
    Magdy Samir and pippyo03 like this.
    10-06-2014 12:33 PM

but FAT32 does).
    4. Press Troubleshoot
    case)
    6. Type DISKPART.EXE
    9. Type EXIT
    your Surface).
    I think I love you. And Microsoft support.

I will definitely be trying this process as soon as I have a good amount of time to my surface. But this looks like the most promising process so far
    10-06-2014 12:42 PM
    Trying it right now!!!

Keep you post! :) :) Don't know why... I have good feeling.
    10-06-2014 02:23 PM

but FAT32 does).
    4. Press Troubleshoot
    case)
    6. Type DISKPART.EXE
    9. Type EXIT
    your Surface).

Well!!! I love you!!!

I used the same SP2 image, on the same USB key. And followed your instructions and it's working!

Just one little thing:
    Between the LIST DISK and CLEAN. You must select a disk:
    "SELECT DISK 0" (without the quote) did the trick for me.

Time to install some update! Thanks so muuccccch!!!
    10-06-2014 03:09 PM
    PepperdoNet: I guess you are mostly using your Surface as a laptop with a mouse and keyboard! ;)
    Hardly! It works as good or better than it did on 8.1 in my estimation. Just because it's a tablet does not mean I want everything full-screen all the time. Most of what I use is desktop apps. But I almost never use the Type Cover or any other physical keyboard with it.
    10-06-2014 03:30 PM
    Oops! You're right. I forgot a step. Step 7a would be Type SELECT DISK SYSTEM, and then type CLEAN.
    Sorry about that! I fixed my original post to include that step.
    10-06-2014 04:08 PM
83 1234