Computer expert? If not, don't install Windows 10 Insider Preview

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since so many posters requesting support apparently have failed to read Microsoft's recommendation:

Download and install the preview only if you

Want to try out software that?s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

Don?t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

Things to keep in mind

Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

All issues should also be posted on the Microsoft Technical Preview forum here: Windows - Microsoft Community

Frankly speaking, this is not for tech enthusiasts who want to try something new. It is meant for Windows operating system experts and IT professionals. If you are neither of those two, you should not install. At this point, you would actually be slowing down the QA process. Not to mention the time of all the kind and well meaning tech experts here at WP Central. Please wait for a more developed release, perhaps six months from now. Spare yourself, WP Central community, and Microsoft the time and anguish.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh dear... Sick of seeing all the questions, are we? lol
I'm no expert myself, but I understand the risks and how this preview thing works. Actually had (and reported) a couple of issues.

Also, I think requiring everyone to be an expert is a bit harsh. That is why the feedback app and forum for Windows 10 exist. Perhaps we should just redirect questions to those. Or the Windows 10 forum on here. That's why it exists, right'...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think requiring everyone to be an expert is a bit harsh. That is why the feedback app and forum for Windows 10 exist. Perhaps we should just redirect questions to those. Or the Windows 10 forum on here. That's why it exists, right'...?

There is no requirement. Anyone is free to do as they wish. However, if a manufacturer officially provides a recommendation for their product which a consumer does not follow what happens? I'll tell you, a bad experience for all.

These forums can provide no support for a product that has never been used and is not fully functional. Rather it is a collection of shared experiences. That is why the official Microsoft Window 10 Technical Preview forum is feedback not support.

Nicholas Lovan

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Rocking the Tech Preview on my MAIN SYSTEM. O: I only have a few WinXP Dell Dimension towers my everyday Gateway NV52L was my only option. :3

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rocking the Tech Preview on my MAIN SYSTEM. O: I only have a few WinXP Dell Dimension towers my everyday Gateway NV52L was my only option. :3

Actually your options were two:

1) Install on the Dell Dimension tower, caveat being at least 2GB RAM.

2) Download virtual machine software (i.e. free VMware Player) to your Gateway NV52L and install the ISO with default settings.

Best of luck and don't forget to use either the feedback app or post in the Technical Preview forum here: Windows - Microsoft Community

After checking the specifications of the hardware you've installed the technical preview on, I expect you'll be sending quite a bit of feedback.

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Agree, if you can't read a registry like a book, a tech preview is not for you. It's ALPHA, don't come whining how it's broken and doesn't work or it's not a magic unicorn ride around a wondrous land of chocolate and hookers... It's alpha software and they want expert feedback.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Agree, if you can't read a registry like a book, a tech preview is not for you. It's ALPHA, don't come whining how it's broken and doesn't work or it's not a magic unicorn ride around a wondrous land of chocolate and hookers... It's alpha software and they want expert feedback.

I am really mad, though, that Windows 10 isn't a "magic unicorn ride around a wondrous land of chocolate and hookers". I was totally promised that by Microsoft and they did not deliver.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I am really mad, though, that Windows 10 isn't a "magic unicorn ride around a wondrous land of chocolate and hookers". I was totally promised that by Microsoft and they did not deliver.

Dude forget the chocolate and the hookers, I'm in it for D&D and living in my grandmother's basement.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From Microsoft's official site:
[h=1]Join us as we build Windows 10[/h] If you're a PC expert or an IT pro, come on a journey with us and be part of creating the best Windows yet.

Windows Technical Preview - Microsoft Windows

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
From Microsoft's official site:
[h=1]Join us as we build Windows 10[/h] If you're a PC expert or an IT pro, come on a journey with us and be part of creating the best Windows yet.

Windows Technical Preview - Microsoft Windows

And does it say 'if not, stay away'? If Microsoft wanted only 'experts' then they should have restricted it.

I spent 45 years writing code for everything from mainframes to PC's so I think I might be deemed and 'expert' but I don't have the temerity to tell people that they can't be involved, if they wish. OP, unless your are a spokesman for MS, keep your ego in check.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
And does it say 'if not, stay away'? If Microsoft wanted only 'experts' then they should have restricted it.

I spent 45 years writing code for everything from mainframes to PC's so I think I might be deemed and 'expert' but I don't have the temerity to tell people that they can't be involved, if they wish. OP, unless your are a spokesman for MS, keep your ego in check.

I am a bit surprised they have left the door open for members of the general public to get involved and that is probably why we have a flood of posts saying XXX doesn't work, even one saying he can't wait for Windows 11 because 10 is crap.

I think maybe the OP was becoming frustrated (Along with a few others) about these posts (And from how they write, some of them by kids).

But maybe it should be left to the mods to move these posts to the relevant section or maybe post their own warning up. 1 About putting on pre-release software, and 2 Posting all over the place about it.

Maybe we should all calm down about it, it's going to be at least 9 months till we get the baby, pregnancy should be nice time, not a bar fight, but please have your own baby in your own home, not in mine as well.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
This is a good one, so here goes:

Q is the power on
A I don't know, how would I find that out.
Q Go round the back and see if the plug is in the wall.
A I can't do that.
Q Why not.
A because it's dark, the lights are out.

Bob

goodintentions

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Unqualified? How do you mean?
Unqualified as in install my word processor app, go into read-only mode (with a label in red at the top saying "read-only mode"), and then write a 1 star review saying the app won't accept any text input.

I lurk more than I write, and frankly I'm sick and tired to see all the newbies pretending to be tech experts writing angry posts about 10 that right away gave away the fact that they are nothing more than newbie level.

Added by edit.

Personally, I would feel better if MS made it harder for people to be able to download 10, like answer a few technical questions that you can't just google to get. Or submit your work as a developer. Anything. Have it out in the open for the general public and all the newbies pretending to be tech experts will download, install, and write angry newbie feedbacks that will only bog down QA.

When I worked as a tech support many years ago, most of the problems I got could be solved by telling the user to scroll either to the right or down. One time, I got an angry call from a client whose business printer we just installed for. He had several in his office. He was very angry that the new printer wouldn't show up on the list of printers to choose from. I asked him if he had tried scrolling to the right to find the printer? As soon as I said that, I heard an "oh" and then he hung up on me.

That's the kind of newbie users that are downloading and trying out 10 right now.

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Exactly! And after all the end user for the final release will be your your average Joe 6 pack!!

I can't read a registry like a book, but I have enough sense to back up all me data on an external hard drive and dual boot the OS, should I still not install it!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb