Computer expert? If not, don't install Windows 10 Insider Preview

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
But I heard VM's are a lot slower and laggy than having the real deal, and my windows 8.1 OS will be safe on the other partition will it not??

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Virtual machines are just that, it's not a partition so to speak, the VM runs within your 8.1 environment. It is slower, for sure, but it provides a nice safe environment to try to a tech preview. I installed using Hyper-V within windows and it worked just fine. I did have to enable virtualization within my PC bios, so if it's not installing and keeps error'ing out you probably need to do that as well.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Dont ruin the experience by putting it on a VM drive.....install it on a separate partition.ive got it installed in boot camp on my 2009 mac mini .....runs great....plays skyrim good too

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am curious if anyone else is experiencing any trouble trying to snap windows or problems running Blend for Visual Studio '13

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I am curious if anyone else is experiencing any trouble trying to snap windows or problems running Blend for Visual Studio '13

You should be using the technical preview forum at Microsoft so they can track this stuff. This isn't a windows 10 help site.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I mean, I know how to do all of those things, but I honestly don't want my day-to-day PC experience to be a crapshoot, from a quality standpoint. I'd personally only recommend using the Technical Preview if:

1. You don't mind something likely to have serious stability issues.
2. You have a secondary computer as a test environment for the OS (or, at least, a spare HDD to put the OS on and play around).

This isn't like Windows Phone's Preview for Developers, guys. Don't just think it's a free, easy way to get access early. It's going to give you fits, and it's why I won't touch it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
But I heard VM's are a lot slower and laggy than having the real deal, and my windows 8.1 OS will be safe on the other partition will it not??

If your post is serious then it demonstrates the point of the OP. No offense but if you start with "but I heard" and then need to ask question about partitions you probably should not install it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Dont ruin the experience by putting it on a VM drive.....install it on a separate partition.ive got it installed in boot camp on my 2009 mac mini .....runs great....plays skyrim good too
Ruin what experience? It is pre-beta software and key bits of the experience aren't even included yet. I am sorry but that is appallingly bad and irresponsible advice to give to a total stranger whose expertise is unknown to you.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

If you want to do a whole dual boot scenario, good for you. This is an alpha release, I just want to check it out, not use it as my daily driver. And for that purpose, VM works just fine.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
This is what the tech review requires before allowing installation.

In fact, maybe this is what the entire internet needs before allowing ANYBODY online!

1403733_466005523529412_1923083605_o.jpg

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I mean, I know how to do all of those things, but I honestly don't want my day-to-day PC experience to be a crapshoot, from a quality standpoint. I'd personally only recommend using the Technical Preview if:

1. You don't mind something likely to have serious stability issues.
2. You have a secondary computer as a test environment for the OS (or, at least, a spare HDD to put the OS on and play around).

This isn't like Windows Phone's Preview for Developers, guys. Don't just think it's a free, easy way to get access early. It's going to give you fits, and it's why I won't touch it.

It's not actually as bad as you are making it out to be. I've only had a few minor issues so far.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
All issues should also be posted on the Microsoft Technical Preview forum here: Windows - Microsoft Community

Microsoft made it easy. They have a small app that allows you to provide feedback directly from Windows 10. And when they have specific question a popup shows asking you a question. Click on it and provide feedback. They are now asking what we think and how we'd improve the Start button/UI part.

As much as i can rant on WP i honestly find Microsoft to be doing a great job on W10. There is nothing to rant nor nothing to add. You said it much better than i'd have managed to do.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
the problem is, have you read a lot of the questions, 16 year olds ruining their machines cause they have no clue what they are doing. People complaining a tech preview of an OS that won't be out for at least a year has issues. It's pretty bad. Just cause you can use instagram and install office for grandma doesn't qualify you as an EXPERT. if you aren't out of High School, chances are you don't have enough experience to be messing with it. (yes chances are, there are exceptions, and they know what dual boot means, or can install VMware player)

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
the problem is, have you read a lot of the questions, 16 year olds ruining their machines cause they have no clue what they are doing. People complaining a tech preview of an OS that won't be out for at least a year has issues. It's pretty bad. Just cause you can use instagram and install office for grandma doesn't qualify you as an EXPERT. if you aren't out of High School, chances are you don't have enough experience to be messing with it. (yes chances are, there are exceptions, and they know what dual boot means, or can install VMware player)

The problem we have is that it is illegal to shoot those 16 year olds. Or slap them and tell them to learn how to use a search engine.

Bring back the good old days!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
This release is intended for experts. Specifically, people in enterprises where they use keyboards and mice on desktop computers to accomplish actual work.

I am very happy they are finally doing this, a public release where they actually seek and listen to real people's feedback. I used to have to visit unsavory forums where they discussed illegal leaks of prerelease software to be able to try things out, and giving feedback was a big no-no as you don't want the software police knowing you did that.

I am very happy with the stability of it so far, and I do expect there to be some problems. I'm running it on my main machines, a Surface Pro 3 and a Lenovo desktop, but because I am the demographic they are looking for, an enterprise admin who has been fighting with Windows since the 2.x releases, I can safely do this because I am able to scrap a machine, reinstall it from my standard image, and be back working in no time. I already have all my important data stored on the network, not the local hard drive, so if it screws up and requires a wipe I really don't care.

I do feel very sorry for the guys on the backend of the feedback monster, who will have to sort out the useful feedback provided by enterprise tech users, from all the other stuff provided by newbies who wonder why their connection to instagram crapped out or why this or that tile isn't updating properly, or want this or that feature completely ripped out and banished for all time, just because they as an individual don't like the way it looks.

Already the feedback app is clogged and slowing down to the point of unusability. That's because of all the extraneous posts that have nothing to do with the scope of a technical preview.
Example: "I installed AVG antivirus and having problems with Defender" - NO pre-RTM OS has ever supported existing antivirus, the vendors always wait until after RTM to fix their products.
Example: "as with the windows 8, the same problem - all the time RAM light is on, and I hear as it is working, even tho I do nothing with my PC." - somebody who doesn't know the difference between RAM and a hard drive activity light cannot call themselves an expert, thus have disqualified themselves from credibility.
Example: "I installed a game on this new windows 10. But Every time I launch the the game I got the xinput1_3.dll error. Please fix this error. That's will be great. Thanks" - so, you installed a tech preview of a new operating system and are surprised that some game that probably needs a new video card driver or some other thing doesn't work. Not only that, you didn't bother saying which game it was or anything about your hardware. Yep, you must be an enterprise expert.

Last edited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Indeed!

The preview is aimed at the enterprise admins and techs who have to deal with those enterprise users.

The preview is for everyone. Microsoft benefits with more people, with different background, testing the software. That's why the preview is public and not distributed through msdn or other channel.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The preview is for everyone. Microsoft benefits with more people, with different background, testing the software. That's why the preview is public and not distributed through msdn or other channel.
Yes, it is available to everyone but that doesn't mean it should be used by everyone. I will not personally discourage anyone from trying anything, and I certainly don't want to get in an argument here about what Microsoft was thinking when they released a technical preview to the public, but if you don't know how to recover your machine to a usable state, or how to make sure all your data is securely backed up, you're not the intended audience for something like this. It's not for the kid who installs a game and then the game crashes. For the developer of said game, maybe. It's probably even too early for that.

Everyone who downloaded it indicated their agreement with a lot of disclaimers that basically said "if you're not an expert you should not try this" - so while feedback from ordinary users can be useful at some point, it's not yet what they are looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb