Computer expert? If not, don't install Windows 10 Insider Preview

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Probably the majority of the negative posts are people that shouldn't be installing an alpha release but don't dismiss the negative posts as trolls trying to derail interest in the new version. I read the post with a grain of salt. Just like the "I'm on my 5th (name the device) and it will not work right" posts. I mean, how unlucky could a person be? 99% of the devices work well the first time but you had to exchange the device 5 times and you still don't have one that works? Trolls.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If you have to ask if you're going to loose all your files, you shouldn't be running it. (The answer is it doesn't matter because if you're smart enough you already have those files backed up anyway)

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is available to everyone but that doesn't mean it should be used by everyone. I will not personally discourage anyone from trying anything, and I certainly don't want to get in an argument here about what Microsoft was thinking when they released a technical preview to the public, but if you don't know how to recover your machine to a usable state, or how to make sure all your data is securely backed up, you're not the intended audience for something like this. It's not for the kid who installs a game and then the game crashes. For the developer of said game, maybe. It's probably even too early for that.

Everyone who downloaded it indicated their agreement with a lot of disclaimers that basically said "if you're not an expert you should not try this" - so while feedback from ordinary users can be useful at some point, it's not yet what they are looking for.

The procedure of installing an operating system is good barrier itself, It's not easy as clicking a button.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Everyone who downloaded it indicated their agreement with a lot of disclaimers that basically said "if you're not an expert you should not try this" ...

There's a disclaimer...? I only saw a download link lol

Seriously though, I am neither an admin nor expert, but very enthusiastic about Windows and where it is going. I am glad they didn't stick the downloads behind their tech sites to limit downloads like they used to.

I know the risks, have a recent backup and know how to get things going again if it all goes tits-up. You know, ask question in the WPCentral forums lol /S

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The preview is for everyone. Microsoft benefits with more people, with different background, testing the software. That's why the preview is public and not distributed through msdn or other channel.

Again, no one reads or watches videos anymore. It clearly states this isn't for everyone in several places and in several videos.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And does it say 'if not, stay away'? If Microsoft wanted only 'experts' then they should have restricted it.

I spent 45 years writing code for everything from mainframes to PC's so I think I might be deemed and 'expert' but I don't have the temerity to tell people that they can't be involved, if they wish. OP, unless your are a spokesman for MS, keep your ego in check.

I love you!:love:

People who make quite broad statements about others egos the proceed to stroke their own! You're the best!

Now to address your other non-personal attack point; neither you nor I have any say in what Microsoft does. They are the software manufacturer, they can do what they wish. You and I are allowed to agree or disagree. You have chosen to disagree. I respect your right to disagree.

I do not respect your personal view on me. I will digress to address your last paragraph. Coding, in my experience, means nothing in this context. I've worked with some of the best coders on the world in some of the largest and best software companies in the world. This Technical Preview is presented as a QA situation, NOT a coding issue.

Unless you are speaking for the coding community, please refrain from such broad personal attack statements and accept my post for what it is: a reasonable request that will benefit both the end users and Microsoft.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I love you!:love:

People who make quite broad statements about others egos the proceed to stroke their own! You're the best!

Now to address your other non-personal attack point; neither you nor I have any say in what Microsoft does. They are the software manufacturer, they can do what they wish. You and I are allowed to agree or disagree. You have chosen to disagree. I respect your right to disagree.

I do not respect your personal view on me. I will digress to address your last paragraph. Coding, in my experience, means nothing in this context. I've worked with some of the best coders on the world in some of the largest and best software companies in the world. This Technical Preview is presented as a QA situation, NOT a coding issue.

Unless you are speaking for the coding community, please refrain from such broad personal attack statements and accept my post for what it is: a reasonable request that will benefit both the end users and Microsoft.

What do you know about what they're doing? What are the objectives? What data are they recollecting? What is useful for them?, etc.

You don't know nothing. That's the point. Why are you talking in name of others without knowing nothing?

Serving coffee to "best coders on the world" doesn't give you telepathic abilities. The public statements of a company aren't necessarily their intentions.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do you know about what they're doing? What are the objectives? What data are they recollecting? What is useful for them?, etc.

You don't know nothing. That's the point. Why are you talking in name of others without knowing nothing?

Serving coffee to "best coders on the world" doesn't give you telepathic abilities. The public statements of a company aren't necessarily their intentions.

Ah now we get to the crux of your argument.

Your contention is not based on any logic. It is a personal issue with my qualifications. Rather than attack the issue, which you smartly recognize is a losing proposition to you, you attack the person. An age old tactic.

Unfortunately for you, my qualifications are beyond reproach. Instead of shoving them down everyone's throat like you apparently need to do, I prefer to base my arguments on sound logical thinking and common sense.

Word of advice: this is how you lose any argument. A personal attack shows you've lost the intellectual attack and gone for emotional attack in desperation. Please stop as you are losing credibility with every post on this matter.

Should you persist in personal attacks, I will report you. Act like a child and I will treat you as such.

TOF1339

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been through the 2 pages of posts but so far I've not seen mention of the easiest, and to me safest, way of playing with this new toy.
Just use Windows to make a VHD on any of your HDD where you have room and mount the .iso ( I use ImDisk) and install to the VHD. Use EasyBCD to select it as a boot option and boot to it. Windows Eight forum has a complete tutorial on how to do this.

So far in my playing I've installed the old Office97 plus developed Access apps with no problems on the vhd. Although it doesn't work completely and only plays QAM available TV, Windows Media Center is usable, just no EPG downloads. I'm far from an expert but I've been around the block a couple of times and I like where Windows 10 is headed. :smile:

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been through the 2 pages of posts but so far I've not seen mention of the easiest, and to me safest, way of playing with this new toy.
Just use Windows to make a VHD on any of your HDD where you have room and mount the .iso ( I use ImDisk) and install to the VHD. Use EasyBCD to select it as a boot option and boot to it. Windows Eight forum has a complete tutorial on how to do this.

So far in my playing I've installed the old Office97 plus developed Access apps with no problems on the vhd. Although it doesn't work completely and only plays QAM available TV, Windows Media Center is usable, just no EPG downloads. I'm far from an expert but I've been around the block a couple of times and I like where Windows 10 is headed. :smile:

If you just want to check it out, I'd do a hyper-v VM.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree I was an expert on windows even in high school. I knew more about it than any of the teachers teaching it or any other computing class for that matter. I took two programming classes and was so bored at how slow they were that I helped out other in the class as well as making tetris in turbo pascal in ascii. A big part of getting to this level of skill of having spare computers to screw with available. And yes I did fry a couple of computers in middle school.

the problem is, have you read a lot of the questions, 16 year olds ruining their machines cause they have no clue what they are doing. People complaining a tech preview of an OS that won't be out for at least a year has issues. It's pretty bad. Just cause you can use instagram and install office for grandma doesn't qualify you as an EXPERT. if you aren't out of High School, chances are you don't have enough experience to be messing with it. (yes chances are, there are exceptions, and they know what dual boot means, or can install VMware player)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
as I said, exceptions. You should look in the forums at some of the posts. People are acting like this is a free version of windows and ready for prime time, or asking "now that windows 10 is out for the PC, when will I get it on my Lumia X20". The biggest issue I see is a general lack of common sense and basic understanding of the situation with a small but vocal minority of users that have no business messing with it. If you just clicked "I agree" with out reading the disclaimer I suppose you get what you get.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
If you complain about Windows 10 Technical Preview...

Did you read this before install it?

Download and install the preview only if you

1. Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.
  2. Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.
  3. Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.
  4. Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.
  5. Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

Things to keep in mind

Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

Also, if your PC runs into problems, Microsoft will likely examine your system files. If the privacy of your system files is a concern, consider using a different PC. For more info, read our privacy statement.

If you use a mouse and keyboard

Your apps and devices should work as expected, though of course there will be exceptions. We’d love to know what you think about how the new Windows works with mouse and keyboard and whether it provides the best of new and familiar functionality for Windows and apps.

If you have a touch PC

Technical Preview works with touch, but some things will be rough and unfinished. More touch-friendly improvements are on the way. In the meantime, let us know what it’s like to interact with Windows and apps in the preview.

If you want to go back to your previous operating system

You'll need to reinstall your version of Windows from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media).

Before you install Windows Technical Preview - Microsoft Windows

anon(9045786)

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: If you complain about Windows 10 Technical Preview...

Kick them out or something! Make them understand this fully! otherwise this subforum will plunge into utter darkness where there is not enough people helping out with feedback and ideas for windows 10 along with concepts for Microsoft and the windows team.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I never thought people would be that stupid. But when dev preview comes out for phone, I think everyone will understand.

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Since it say "Technical Preview". Since i am very technical does that give me a pass if i complain ? :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro