Having Windows 10 preview sound problems?

Mateusz Derlecki

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mateusz,

Two questions:

1. Is your audio Realtek?
2. Does Windows Update indicate that a driver was updated around the time it failed?

If yes to either (or both) then the good news is, we're working on it. :) If the answer is no, we should dig in more. Let me know.

Thanks!

John W [MSFT]

Hi John,

Symptoms that you listed cover my case entirely. Thanks for information that you're working on it!

Nicolas Farley

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I did an implace upgrade on an HP Envy Touch with "Beats Audio". After uninstalling all the audio drivers, and rebooting, and letting the automatic driver finder find a driver. Works so far. I would get no audio from video after about 2 minutes of video, or worse, my machine would completely lock up.

For now it's fixed.

James Fillmore

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
ok. So i am having the same issue. I have realtek audio onboard, which i have now disabled, and i have installed a SoundBlaster Audigy SE and i am still having the same issues.

What is completely strange is that simply opening a new tab in chrome or launching a program is causing the audio to chirp jump and slow down. This is quite frustrating. Previous windows 10 builds did not have this issue, i am running the latest version now and that is when my audio problems started. My system is:
AMD FX8350 4.0Ghz (x8)
32GB of DDRIII
3x Kingston SSD HD's in RAID 0
no cd rom drive
Nvidia 5850 video card
Nvidia 650 video card (I run 5 monitors)

Any help would be fantastic.

My system at home which is also running the latest build, is not having any audio issues at all. That system is running a Core i5 2500K with 24GB of RAM and a Radeon R9270
Two samsung Evo 250GB HDD's in RAID 0.
Running the onboard audio which is realtek.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Yup, we're aware that the Realtek audio is having issues. One crazy idea (please try at your own risk!) is to install the June 2010 DirectX redist. I'm not suggesting this as any kind of solution, but if you want to give it a try as a troubleshooting step I'd love to hear the results. (I can't reproduce this problem on my Realtek-based machine, unfortunately.)
FWIW, was finally able to install Win10 TP on my HP Stream 7 today, reinstall all the drivers, etc. including the Realtek drivers. So far, have been pleasantly surprised at how the speaker quality has improved, and an incremental volume boost over 8.1 for whatever reason. Shall continue to let Pandora roll along for another few hours and see if anything happens. The burdens we must bear! :angel:

nabil dely

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
in my case thats what happend windows update tel me that he couldn't install the sound driver but after the new update of windows build 9926 the sound in the internet video is very destroyed plz some help here because i couldn't whatch any video

Cadillakin

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I too am having problems with Win10 preview and my Realtek sound. I often watch live horse racing and utilize the race replays too. All was fine with me until recently... What I mean is the change to Win 10 preview from 8.1 didn't immediately affect my sound. Now, I get random distortions of about a half second, sort of a squawking noise on both the live racing and the replays. When watching the replays, I seem to have noticed that the distortions occur at similar points, as if somehow the stream (not live) is affecting the issue.

Simultaneously, I seem to see some lag with my cursor and video during the distortion... and the lag is also occuring occasionally when the sound isnt involved. It's very slight, but its there. When I first moved to 10, nothing of the sort was occurring

johnwinkmsft

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
There are a couple of things going on with Realtek right now. One is that the latest driver on WU sometimes times out on installation, so it's spotty trying to get the latest update. The other is that we're seeing (sometimes severe) distortion problems on Realtek. Both issues are under investigation though, so hopefully we'll have something for you soon. Thanks!

MobileGorilla

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been having bad distortions on my ASUS notebook and it uses the Realtek HD Audio drivers and for me what fixed the bad distortions was going into Control Panels >> Hardward and Sound >> opening Realtek HD Audio Manager >> and moving the slider bar for the Internal Subwoofer slider bar to the left to turn off the subwoofer. Hopefully, that will pinpoint where to look for issues with the Realtek issues.

Cheers!

MajorPayne5811

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been having bad distortions on my ASUS notebook and it uses the Realtek HD Audio drivers and for me what fixed the bad distortions was going into Control Panels >> Hardward and Sound >> opening Realtek HD Audio Manager >> and moving the slider bar for the Internal Subwoofer slider bar to the left to turn off the subwoofer. Hopefully, that will pinpoint where to look for issues with the Realtek issues.

Cheers!

Same here - ASUS G750. Thanks MobileGorilla - turning off the subwoofer worked.

Cadillakin

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
An update...

Frustrated with the audio distortions on my live race streaming and replays. I rolled back to 8.1. Soon afterwards I updated my system. But again, I had a frustration, I could not logon to the Store and retrieve my purchased apps. Bad file length, etc...

So I again downloaded and installed the 10 preview. And to my amazement, everything worked. My Realtek sound drivers are working perfectly. In fact, the sounds seem better...

Not sure this helps, but happy now:smile:

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
On my system I can install the Realtek audio driver and have perfect sound. But if I reboot my system, I get no sound. Under the Device Manager it still has the Realtek audio listed. Anyone else having this problem?

johnwinkmsft

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
On my system I can install the Realtek audio driver and have perfect sound. But if I reboot my system, I get no sound. Under the Device Manager it still has the Realtek audio listed. Anyone else having this problem?
Is it showing the same version of the Realtek driver after you reboot, or is it getting changed somehow (i.e. by PnP)? Thanks!

Raikesson Charles

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Ok, here is the break down of the issues i've experienced with sound on my pc (Compaq Presario CQ57)
On initial install of windows 10 my sound driver was ok, after running an update and getting the latest build. My driver was no longer being recognized and i could play no sound. I was able to successfully download my manufacturer sound driver and have sound working again. I am not getting any distortion but i only played for about 10-15minutes wort of music at max volume before shutting off. Oh and it seems that my directx 3d , this occurs before and after fix. Below is the dxdiag for my machine with issues:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/5/2015, 21:28:00
Machine name: XXXX-XXXX
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview 64-bit (10.0, Build 9926) (9926.fbl_awesome1501.150119-1648)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Presario CQ57 Notebook PC
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version CCB.03.61.11F.43
Processor: AMD C-50 Processor (2 CPUs), ~1.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1642MB RAM
Page File: 2331MB used, 766MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
DxDiag Version: 10.00.9926.0000 64bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in Direct3D (stage 3). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9804)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9804&SUBSYS_3577103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 1015 MB
Dedicated Memory: 375 MB
Shared Memory: 640 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC4251
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.031Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll,amdxc32,amdxc64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1362 (English)
Driver Version: 15.200.1006.0
DDI Version:
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Applicable
Power P-states: Not Applicable
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/2/2015 22:49:41, 1397880 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-DB44-11CF-DE76-7D15BEC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x9804
SubSys ID: 0x3577103C
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: oem3.inf:cb0ae4147a5ecf8c:ati2mtag_Wrestler:15.200.1006.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_9804
Rank Of Driver: 00D42001
Video Accel:
DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG4pt2_VLD_AdvSimple_NoGMC
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Enabled

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description:
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID:
Manufacturer ID:
Product ID:
Type:
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
WHQL Logo'd:
Date and Size:
Other Files:
Driver Provider:
HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
---------------------
Video Capture Devices
Number of Devices: 1
---------------------
FriendlyName: HP Webcam-101
SymbolicLink: \\?\usb#vid_04f2&pid_b293&mi_00#6&2a12e200&0&0000#{e5323777-f976-4f5b-9b55-b94699c46e44}\global
Manufacturer: Microsoft
HardwareID: USB\VID_04F2&PID_B293&REV_3253&MI_00,USB\VID_04F2&PID_B293&MI_00
DriverDesc: USB Video Device
DriverProvider: Microsoft
DriverVersion: 10.0.9926.0
DriverDateEnglish: 6/21/2006 00:00:00
DriverDateLocalized: 6/21/2006 12:00:00 AM
Service: usbvideo
Class: Image
DevNodeStatus: 180200A[DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
ContainerId: {00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF}
ProblemCode: No Problem
BusReportedDeviceDesc: HP Webcam-101
Parent: USB\VID_04F2&PID_B293\SN0001
DriverProblemDesc: n/a
UpperFilters: n/a
LowerFilters: n/a
Stack: \Driver\ksthunk,\Driver\usbvideo,\Driver\usbccgp
ContainerCategory: Imaging

-------------------
DirectInput Devices
-------------------
Device Name: Mouse
Attached: 1
Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a
FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Keyboard
Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a

Device Name: 2.4G Wireless Mouse
Controller ID: 0x0
Vendor/Product ID: 0x04F3, 0x02F4

Poll w/ Interrupt: No

nblew

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had a strange issue with sound and my Surface Pro 3, when connecting the device to an external HDMI screen:

​After connecting an HDMI adapter to a screen, the sound no longer outputs at all. The sound mixer shows audio going through the HDMI output, but nothing actually outputs. I've tried this with two different HDMI adapters, 2 different HDMI cords, and 2 different output devices (a television and a PC monitor), each with no success. Restarting the PC does not fix the problem. Unplugging the device will most of the time will revert the audio back to the Surface device, but sometimes will not output audio (like the HDMI). A restart is required to fix that issue.

​Anyone else have this problem or is there a fix on the way?

​Thanks,
Nolan

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I have two monitors connected to my graphics card via DVI and when I want to watch series or movies I disable one of them and enable the HDMI output to my TV. I have to change the playback device to get sound via HDMI, but when I disable HDMI and enable the second monitor again, I can't change the playback device back to my speakers and have to enable the TV again, to change the playback device and then I can disable the TV and enable the second monitor again and then I have sound again.

So the bug here is that I can't change the playback device back to my speakers after I disabled the TV in the screen resolution menu and have to change the playback device, before I disable the TV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99