Can I dual boot windows 10/8 by just mounting the iso or do i need a usb drive?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
According to this tutorial here, I'd need a usb drive to install the iso.

Can i just, create a partition for windows 10, then use something like virtual clone drive to mount the iso and just run it form within my current windows 8.1 installation to create the dual boot scenario or will that overwrite my windows 8.1?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You'd need the USB and restart your PC and tell the BIOS to read your USB first, then custom install it to the other partition.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Can i just, create a partition for windows 10, then use something like virtual clone drive to mount the iso and just run it form within my current windows 8.1 installation to create the dual boot scenario or will that overwrite my windows 8.1?

its possible,cant remember the software name,it starts with "net" something

The Skizzle

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Jas00555 is correct. You would need to create your partition, your bootable flash drive, and then tell the BIOS to start using USB and install to the new partition. However, for some reason, I wasn't able to accomplish this with Windows 10. I was able to do so in the past with Windows 7 and Windows 8, but when I tried to the same with Windows 8 and 10, I was told something to the effect that there was already an OS on the disk. As soon as I deleted my Windows 8 partition (I backed everything up prior to installing), I was able to install Windows 10. Not sure if I missed a step or if it's a restriction written into this installation media.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

You have 3 options with the .iso file.

Create a bootable USB drive, reboot, then hit the relevant F# key to select your boot option. Then select the USB device..

Burn to CD, reboot, and do as above to boot from CD...

Or, Install the Hyper V role and run as a Virtual Machine while in Windows 8. While setting up the VM you point it to the .iso to install it.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You have 3 options with the .iso file.

Create a bootable USB drive, reboot, then hit the relevant F# key to select your boot option. Then select the USB device..

Burn to CD, reboot, and do as above to boot from CD...

Or, Install the Hyper V role and run as a Virtual Machine while in Windows 8. While setting up the VM you point it to the .iso to install it.

#4 create a VHD and boot off of it eliminating an VM solution that slows 10 down

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro